Where to go

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Bigdave87

Where to go

Post by Bigdave87 » Sun May 22, 2016 12:07 am

Hey
Just started surfing again after about 15 years. Used to live in South Africa and have just moved to Sydney (Bondi) looking for places to surf but am still pretty fresh went the other day and managed to get up every time with green waves but need a lot of practise. So looking for places to try that aren't to far to drive. Bondi is showing 4-7ft waves for the best part of a week so don't think I should be out in that for a while but still want to go out. Thinking of trying marouba tomorrow morning?
Also is it safe to leave keys to the car in my bag on the beach if I'm alone? Living in South Africa that was not a good idea and being originally from London people would steal the sugar out of your tea so just trying to find out what you guys do with things you have while surfing.
Thanks for any advice. Any things I should watch/ read to help let me know please wanna improve asap
Dave

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Where to go

Post by Hatchnam » Sun May 22, 2016 5:00 am

South maroubra is protected from south swells but the banks are shit at the moment, but probably your better option than the north end if you're just getting back into surfing. North end will catch some (not all) of the south swell, be breaking Ok, but it's a shifty peak with lots of competition, so if you're not on top of your game you'll have a tough time out there. Don't drop in out there, and like frank booth once said "be polite". You're probably going to be better off trying Cronulla. Big long beach, more options.

Oh. And "seven foot you say"? Well. in Australia waves are measured as follows...

½ foot = knee high
1 foot = waist high
2 foot = shoulder high
3 foot = just overhead (or 6 foot face)
4 foot = head and a half high
5 foot = just under double overhead
6 foot = double overhead
7 foot = nonexistent (it's either 6 or it's 8.)
8 foot = double and a half overhead
9 foot = nonexistent (it's either 8 or it's 10)
10 foot = a touch over triple overhead
11 foot = nonexistent (it's either 10 or it's 12)
12 foot = almost quadruple overhead
13 foot = nonexistent (there's a big void between 12 & 15 foot)
14 foot = nonexistent (there's a big void between 12 & 15 foot)
15 foot = is the bucket measurement for anything between quadruple and quintuple overhead for the entire length of the wave, and not just the take off)
...anything over 15 foot? Just call it HUGE

And as for boards, if you're feeling your way back into surfing, want a good user friendly easy paddling board that still packs good performance, then check out a hypto krypto. Look on gumtree, they're often for sale a bit cheaper.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 22, 2016 9:22 am

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.........don't listen to him dave......it's a trap. He tries this on everyone new to Realsurf. Don't even bother trying to make sense of those measurements.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun May 22, 2016 9:25 am

Beanpole wrote:Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.........don't listen to him dave......it's a trap. He tries this on everyone new to Realsurf. Don't even bother trying to make sense of those measurements.
As sure as the sun will rise in the east, beanpong will bite the bait on wave sizes.
Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 22, 2016 9:27 am

Yeah, I know a set up when I see one hatchie. Always an opportunity to take the piss.
Always love on the surf forecast when they go hooray now there's swell.....unfortunately everywhere is closing out in the Eastern Suburbs.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun May 22, 2016 9:34 am

Wasn't closing out where I was just now
Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 22, 2016 9:40 am

Yeah, might drag my aging hide out for a look around after Insiders finishes. More interested in planning a possible trip to Bali in a couple of months. I'd really need some good surf to get me interested at the moment. Getting smashed for 40 minutes to catch a couple of semi close outs and/or going neck to neck with a bunch of people 30 years younger than me requires a certain drive that is hard to muster on a Sunday. Likewise driving for an hour on the off chance.
I'm glad your keen though hatchie.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun May 22, 2016 10:18 am

The tide was pretty high. Not breaking anywhere near as gnarly as it can do. You'd have likely been ok. Getting out and back in was probably more of a challenge this morning. Only about 8-10 in the line up. Not too hectic. A young Marourbra lad was out there on a baddy treloar single fin, on his forehand and carving some nice lines out on the face
Sniff wrote:

Bigdave87

Post by Bigdave87 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:38 am

I went there and didn't go down to the south side of the beach until after I had been out there for a hour and Jesus it was hardto paddle. I definitely need to learn to duck dive properly. I'm on a 7 foot board and getting it to go u der was hard work.
Going to go again Tuesday and Thursday after work but stay on the south part of the beach.
Will prob try Cronulla next weekend as well

Thinking of doing a lesson as well just to help get back into the rhythm is the "learn to surf" at Bondi any good?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 22, 2016 2:04 pm

Had a look at The Bra....ordinary and crowded so went back to Bronte which Id checked out earlier. Basically just a get wet paddle but got one okay one...plus a couple of dubious ones before the dropping tide got the rip working on penalty rates.
At least Bronte has a bit of grunt to it.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:28 am

Hatchnam wrote:South maroubra is protected from south swells but the banks are shit at the moment, but probably your better option than the north end if you're just getting back into surfing. North end will catch some (not all) of the south swell, be breaking Ok, but it's a shifty peak with lots of competition, so if you're not on top of your game you'll have a tough time out there. Don't drop in out there, and like frank booth once said "be polite". You're probably going to be better off trying Cronulla. Big long beach, more options.

Oh. And "seven foot you say"? Well. in Australia waves are measured as follows...

½ foot = knee high
1 foot = waist high
2 foot = shoulder high
3 foot = just overhead (or 6 foot face)
4 foot = head and a half high
5 foot = just under double overhead
6 foot = double overhead
7 foot = nonexistent (it's either 6 or it's 8.)
8 foot = double and a half overhead
9 foot = nonexistent (it's either 8 or it's 10)
10 foot = a touch over triple overhead
11 foot = nonexistent (it's either 10 or it's 12)
12 foot = almost quadruple overhead
13 foot = nonexistent (there's a big void between 12 & 15 foot)
14 foot = nonexistent (there's a big void between 12 & 15 foot)
15 foot = is the bucket measurement for anything between quadruple and quintuple overhead for the entire length of the wave, and not just the take off)
...anything over 15 foot? Just call it HUGE

And as for boards, if you're feeling your way back into surfing, want a good user friendly easy paddling board that still packs good performance, then check out a hypto krypto. Look on gumtree, they're often for sale a bit cheaper.
7' non existent , not in vicco buddy! :-D-:

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:49 pm

Hatchnam wrote:

Come on Hatchy, the guys from South Africa.

Dave's just being polite, they don't even bother going in the water until it's 7 foot :(

Think about it, they surf Dungeons with White Pointers in 10 degree water, 'sif he's going to be intimidated with our poxy little waves & bull sharks.

And they have legless men who can run in both the abled & disabled olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9MdQpT684c
What's the difference between Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris?

One's pretending to be an Indian & the others pretending she isn't!

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:07 pm

I was only trolling beanpole . And of course it worked like a charm ;)
Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:05 pm

Well it wouldn't be a fox trot without two dancers hatchie.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?