Having a break from surfing?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Having a break from surfing?

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:06 am

i'd say if you didn't get an mri to prove you've torn it, you have tendonosis, tendonitis or bursitis. fits more with your symptoms.

and if you did get a mri ... no one is silly enough to go surfing and risk 12-months rehab and a painful surgery on a partially torn achilles. not that you can do much of anything due to searing pain even if it's partially torn.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:20 am

Braithy wrote:i'd say if you didn't get an mri to prove you've torn it
Pics or it didn't happen

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:14 pm

Cranked is part of my generation Braithy, we don't go in for ya high falootin' "MRI"s and yer fancy "doctors" and such like.
We self diagnose, self treat, then and only then do we ask a friend or relative who used to know a nurse. Then we poopoo that advice and kick a dog
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:30 pm

You guys don't get colds either. Just flus.

Harden up Australia.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Obviously the damage is relatively minor, I would have used the word snapped if the tendon had separated and would have been in emergency awaiting surgery.

I've had so many ankle and rotator cuff problems over the years I just don't bother seeing a doctor unless it gets chronic, i.e. pain and stiffness persists for more than a month. This is only the end of the second week. I stretch and massage and use it lightly, if there's pain or swelling I stop the exercise and reduce stretching, then try again a few days later with light exercise. Repeat until it gets better, adding more specific and heavier exercises that I'll repeat for around 6 months. So far its worked for me.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:10 pm

All the squats and deadlifts and general knee rehab is paying off. Surfed chest to shoulder high waves today and on a little runner that was closing out I got right down and pulled in to see how it'd go. Was fine. Would not have been game to do that a few months ago. Worth the effort for sure

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:22 pm

So did you keep surfing during the rehab Beery?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:12 pm

steve shearer wrote:So did you keep surfing during the rehab Beery?
Yeah, but I prioritised the rehab stuff. Doing 4 or 5 gym sessions a week so just eased back on surfing. I didn't actively not surf, just made sure I got the gym sessions in first. I'm still doing it now. It's going so well I reckon by summer I'll be able to have my cake and eat it too. My quad back to similar muscle mass as the other one, and then I can turn down the gym stuff and get wet more.

It's kind of a final stage, getting me ready to run again, or at least able to do athletic type stuff, and get it as close to original as possible. Last thing I want is to get to 45 and have issues because I didn't do enough, know what I mean?. Rather be a fit old bloke than an overweight slug.

My shorts don't fit too great anymore lol. Not so much the waist, but my arse and thighs. Have to look for the old school long, loose boardies, not the new school shorter-and-tighter-your-teenaged-girlfriends-mini-skirt boardies.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:41 pm

Going pretty well. Much more strength and stability in my knee, and the few surfs I've had lately have been shallow shore break type waves. I wouldn't have been game before Xmas to do that, mentally just freaked me out. I can now back squat my body weight and deadlift more than my bodyweight. Eating everything in sight too, at 84kg lol

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:55 pm

I'm back in full force after a year of ambivalence. Pulled out the tolhurst quad fish and put new fins on.
Erase.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:38 pm

The Mighty Sunbird wrote:I'm back in full force after a year of ambivalence. Pulled out the tolhurst quad fish and put new fins on.
So what moved you from ambivalence Lats?
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Kept swimming in the ocean
Erase.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:11 am

Maybe I need to try that. I've been going through the motions for years now. I'm hoping the stoke will come back some day.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:17 am

I'm really happy with how I'm surfing at the moment.....when I get out there. It was good to have some clean little easy waves to ride this week. Felt really good. Nothing worse than finally getting in the surf and just duck diving, paddling against a rip and hassling.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:09 am

First day of summer I'm swapping around. Less gym more water time. Stepping it up now to get ready to run. Single leg hop and holds and other fun stuff. Bloody hard on the knee but will give the strength and stability needed to run. Can do light jog on soft sand.

The running stuff is also good for surfing. Backhand bottom turns and frontside cutbacks still only able to push 70%. Sucks but all round much better.

Beerfan

Re: Having a break form surfing?

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:21 am

Almighty God wrote:
Natho wrote:Prone paddling is great. You can certainly prone paddle for distance rather than knees, as long as you have the fitness base and technique to do it. You don't have to go to your knees though if you are racing then knees is faster and also helps mix it up. Prone is a good place to start.

I have found paddling a racing board has helped my surf fitness a great deal however you need to keep in mind that the angles are different to that of paddling a surfboard. In fact its awesome fitness all round and gets you out in the ocean. You can build up the distance once you have laid a base and had some good water time.

As for swimming well there is no substitute for actual paddling but I reckon swimming is the next best thing. It certainly can help your paddling as long as you are paddling as well. In other words paddling plus swimming is great. If you just swim but don't do much paddling then it will probably have little benefit (but will certainly help your overall fitness and at least keep you in the water). I think this is pretty much what ol mate Shaun was saying.

In fact talking with one of the best race paddlers in the world a couple of weeks ago and he puts swimming up there as the best thing you can do other than paddling itself. Swimming is a key component of many of the elite paddler's training programs. Swimming is certainly something I will be focusing more on in my 2016 training program. I need to get better at it.

have done a lot of swimming for fitness over many years...back injury based...and I think doing a heap of laps at pretty much the same speed isnt of much benefit...even if you swim long distances. If you change up the speeds, sprints with short breaks, then some slow laps...more sprints...this type of swim training can be super beneficial
Hi God. When you say mix it up, what would a simple mix be? Eg 3 slow laps 1 sprint?, total 16 laps ( 4 cycles )??.

I hate doing numerous laps at same pace. Intervals on the bike for me works great for fitness ( and stripping fat ). Might need to hit the pool again soon.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:51 pm

I agree on the benefit of fast laps. A few years ago my goal used to be to do 60 laps a session, but I changed to 4 laps medium then 1 lap as fast as I could go, with a rest period of around 60s before the fast lap. I now do just 20-30 laps and find it improves strength and endurance way more than the old regime.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:42 pm

Get a waterproof watch and time your laps, try to do (say) 4x100m where each lap is within 10 seconds of each other. In between, rest for maybe 50% of the time it took for the lap (eg if it takes 95 seconds for 100m, rest for 45 seconds then start straight away and try to do 95 seconds for that lap). Either try to swim faster laps (with the same rest time) or shorter rest times with the same lap time (or both!)

After you have done your 4x100, do the same for 4x50m.

In between do some slow warm up or cool down laps

Every now and then just do a long swim.

However I do feel that there is no point doing fast swim laps unless you can already swim, say, 1000m (or 1500 or whatever figure seems appropriate).

Another 'fun' thing is to slow swim 1/3 of the length and then sprint 1/3 and then slow to the end.

Anyway, I'm incompetent at swimming so dont take my word for anything other than this - if you get a waterproof watch and time yourself, it makes things much more interesting. Lets face it, swimming is pretty boring and if you are just doing lap after lap, its even more boring.

(btw, any serious swimmer would laugh at the above routine - they might do it as a warm up to real swim work. But who can be bothered being a serious swimmer?)