Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:42 pm

Nick,

Please, in your capacity as forum elder and Protector of Australian Surfing , will you deliver a definitive statement against the shaka. That Beavis and Butthead do it is regrettable, although unsurprising, but let's nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand.

Anyway, a question: Do you think your brother has read TC? Were you tempted to include some outrageous lies to test whether he did or not?
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:11 pm

Well I would expect a British sometimes-surfer living in wales to try and get the Shaka banned by appealing to authority.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:16 pm

Sometime? SOMETIME? Cheeky cunt. I'll have you know I surfed three days in a row last week (with a bit of help from ibuprofen)
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:34 pm

I would have given the heat to Michael. All the old timers were fun to watch though. Great role models like Ringy said.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:08 am

godsavethequeen wrote:Nick,

Please, in your capacity as forum elder and Protector of Australian Surfing , will you deliver a definitive statement against the shaka. That Beavis and Butthead do it is regrettable, although unsurprising, but let's nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand.

Anyway, a question: Do you think your brother has read TC? Were you tempted to include some outrageous lies to test whether he did or not?
Well we have been through the origins of the shaka here before, but I do think it is telling that almost no Hawaiian surfers of my acquaintance use it in a non-ironic way.

I also think it is telling that some of the most feverish adoptees of the shaka have been the Brazilians of the 1980s. Now there's two terms ("Brazilian" and "1980s") I suggest should only be used together with great caution.

It has morphed from its humble origins into a tokenistic farce, a floppy simulacrum of cutesy Island Life, practised almost solely by people who do not live on an Island of any kind, let alone Hawaii. Shakas belong in the same purgatory of cheesiness as plastic supermarket hula dresses and kiddie muu muus. I would no more throw a shaka at someone like, say, Brian Keaulana, than I would gouge out my own eyes.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:10 am

Oh and as far as Tom reading TC, honestly I think he may just have skimmed it. I spelled one of his daughters' names incorrectly in the final draft and it took her reading it to spot the error.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:06 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
godsavethequeen wrote:Nick,

Well we have been through the origins of the shaka here before, but I do think it is telling that almost no Hawaiian surfers of my acquaintance use it in a non-ironic way.

I also think it is telling that some of the most feverish adoptees of the shaka have been the Brazilians of the 1980s. Now there's two terms ("Brazilian" and "1980s") I suggest should only be used together with great caution.

It has morphed from its humble origins into a tokenistic farce, a floppy simulacrum of cutesy Island Life, practised almost solely by people who do not live on an Island of any kind, let alone Hawaii. Shakas belong in the same purgatory of cheesiness as plastic supermarket hula dresses and kiddie muu muus. I would no more throw a shaka at someone like, say, Brian Keaulana, than I would gouge out my own eyes.

Indo groms who live on islands love throwing the Shaka.
It's all they have and they love it and you and GTSQ want to take that away from them?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:11 am

well you can both have fun in your expensive gated Telos lodge on your annual cash for comment board 'test'

cunts

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:25 am

Just on the board test theme. Nick do you think punters at least need to be an advanced surfer to write about, review or sell surfboards. I note a web site Compare Surfboards where the affable NB's ex pat American acknowledges his surfing level as average reviews and pretty much advertises boards, additionally I'm pretty sure it's a "cash for comment" for some brands ala Lost and CI. I guess it's buyer beware.
Last edited by Davros on Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:27 am

Well, ER, we could encourage its use in a post ironic manner, that is with full awareness of its original usage and the subsequent parody , with the intention of retrieving that original meaning but with full awarenes of its use as a parody.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:28 am

(to er)
well as long as they live on islands it's OK.

Otherwise they are wretched perpetuators of a cross cultural mockery that makes white boy rock'n'roll look as original as hip-hop. isn't that right GSTQ.

GSTQ?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:52 am

Davros wrote:Just on the board test theme. Nick do you think punters at least need to be an advanced surfer to write about, review or sell surfboards. I note a web site Compare Surfboards where the affable NB's ex pat American acknowledges his surfing level as average reviews and pretty much advertises boards, additionally I'm pretty sure it's a "cash for comment" for some brands ala Lost and CI. I guess it's buyer beware.
Look I don't know if you need to be an advanced surfer to test surfboards on behalf of a large number of readers etc, but I do think it helps.

In general I feel a really skilled and articulate surfer can tell you way more about a board after a short period of riding it than can someone whose skills are pretty average. This is kinda partly based on my own surfing experience; it's also based on what I sense here and among other surfers of my more direct personal acquaintance.

You've also gotta remember that when you're reviewing a board for an actual readership as opposed to just yourself, you're not just doing it on your own "affable average bloke" behalf. There's a lot of surfers and the skill and experience range is vast - broader now than it's ever been in fact. So if you are gonna command the attention of such a broad group, and actually advise them on a purchase, then you better be coming from a place a bit better than average. (That said, you've also got to understand that not everyone is going to want the same things from a board that you do.)

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:30 am

Nick Carroll wrote:(to er)
well as long as they live on islands it's OK.

Otherwise they are wretched perpetuators of a cross cultural mockery that makes white boy rock'n'roll look as original as hip-hop. isn't that right GSTQ.

GSTQ?

he's busy lying down resting after surfing THREE DAYS IN A ROW

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:44 am

Plus medication.

Nick, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a long, single, deep concave (3/4") in a short board

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:50 am

Nick, do you lead the life of Riley?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:51 am

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:58 am

McCoy! CONCAVE! How very dare you!

Nah Legion, its the Wilkes, 6'6, 20.5, 16" tail, about 43l

But the question wasn't about a specific board but boards in general with a single deep concave. For instance, Wilkes reckon they track a bit, so recommends smaller fins, especially in the base

Ditto on the mediocre surfer.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:07 am

Cranked wrote:Plus medication.

Nick, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a long, single, deep concave (3/4") in a short board
Well assuming everything else about the board is set right (good rocker, outline, fin positions etc)

Advantages: increased lift=less friction=speed; rail turns accentuated and their effectiveness increased; wider range of wave size can be coped with; possible wave-catching advantage for stronger paddlers

Disadvantages: board won't slide; bigger airs harder to cope with on landing; higher technical skill demands (greater lift/speed means accurate turn placement becomes more important)

I think also the assumption we started with here is likely not to hold too true for a lot of board makers, super concave is tricky, like channels, you don't have to be too far off the mark to make a dog.