post your modern day sickness

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

tootr
Duke Status

Re: post your modern day sickness

Post by tootr » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:58 pm

great looking board. Is the wife on the couch for a few days?

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:58 pm

tootr wrote:great looking board. Is the wife on the couch for a few days?
Thanks. Lusted after a JD for a while now.

LOL no this is where the board sleeps, the wife and I have our own room. But sometimes I sneak away in the night!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:14 pm

Interesting fin setup on the oldie here hatchie.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:28 am

Beanpole wrote:Interesting fin setup on the oldie here hatchie.
What. The box centre fin ? The fins are all the same size. I've moved the fin right to the back. Fk manoeuvrability, it'll turn regardless. I'd rather drive and projection thanks very much.

Took it out on the weekend in some solid 4-5 footers. So far it feels good. Holds in well on late steep takeoffs and bottom turns.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:43 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Beanpole wrote:Interesting fin setup on the oldie here hatchie.
What. The box centre fin ? The fins are all the same size. I've moved the fin right to the back. Fk manoeuvrability, it'll turn regardless. I'd rather drive and projection thanks very much.

Took it out on the weekend in some solid 4-5 footers. So far it feels good. Holds in well on late steep takeoffs and bottom turns.

I posted elsewhere but I've got something really similar. 6'2 t&c thruster shaped by The Buzz outta Byron. 4 belly channels, box rails, pretty wide super flat deck. Its not the greatest board but it still goes alright. Needs a bit of backfoot heft when turning it.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:48 pm

I found one like that in a mates backyard half buried, it was a t n C, a gypo I think. Pretty beat up but gee it was fun to surf. Love that flat deck and boxy rails.
Passed it on to a kid.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Yeah they're pretty high volumed. Reckon the waves will need some size and grunt to get the best out of it. Soupy shifty overhead beach breaks it should go pretty well .
Sniff wrote:

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:56 pm

Yeah paddle like a demon though. Went alright the last time I surfed it in 2-3 foot wobbly sideshore kirra.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:16 pm

I've had this roadside pic up for a few years now. did some repairs and taken it out a few times when the volume necessitated. Like today.
It's skittish and fast and suits fulsome shoulder high peelers. It's clearly 80's and I can't figure out whether the tiny twins- which have been set in were an afterthought to the fin box or the box was added.
Dying to sand it back down and do an awesome look a t me spray job on its somewhat tarnished bottom side. Can't figure out how to mount a third fin with a screw that don't attach or should I just ditch the little twins and mount a single.

Image/media/6A0DAF07-122C-4E86-AE42-2281AD5AB4BC_zpso6xapfub.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:18 pm

Exactly. As soon as the conditions are soupy, shifty, layered etc then volume can solve a lot of short comings.

Surfing a crowded city beach, I actually dig those conditions. I'd rather surf overhead onshore rip bowls, with six out, and pick off peak after peak, than surf well groomed crowded conditions.

The soupy shifty stuff keeps you on your toes too.
Sniff wrote:

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:12 am

Just got my hands on a 5'9 Maurice Cole Pro Tow. Will report back once I get to ride the f^KK^

Little
regular

Post by Little » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:16 pm

Showman, that board looks sensational. Can you tell me a bit more about it and who is JD?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:06 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:36 am

Like the Radio Birdman influence

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:46 pm

got this old Pyzel 6'5 round tail from a neighbour the other week. I like the outline. It needed some repair but otherwise the blank is in good nick.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:42 pm

Two of my fav boards are Pyzels. One of them is up there with the best HPS boards I think I've ridden. Fits like a glove.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:28 pm

yeah it looks a bit ugly now but you can tell it's a pretty killer shape tuned for good waves

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:56 am

Rode the Pro Tow for the first time over the weekend.
5’9 x 18 ½ x 2 1/4
Conditions were steep 3 foot beachies. Slight bump. Not the most ideal conditions for this board.
Got around 7 waves on her, about 4 of those were good enough to get a pretty good initial feel for the board.
First thing I noticed was that the board felt a bit weightless at first. There is so much lift out of the super deep concave that it feels like you are surfing on air. It’s a pretty amazing feeling really but first thing I was thinking was this thing is going to be out of control. First few turns put my mind at ease. Maurice is way to experienced for that. The board held beautifully through turns despite all the speed and lift. It held in well when taking a high line in steeper waves.
I settled into this board very quickly. I think having ridden several other MC boards recently meant I was quickly dialled into the board and how it felt. Still the board is like nothing I have ever ridden in overall feel. I found myself super excited to quickly take another wave on it. I don’t remember being so excited about a board in a long time.
OK the board had an absolute tone of straight line speed of the straighter stringer line. What amazed me is how much of that speed was maintained when put over onto the curvey rail line. This thing just flew through turns and the natural curve of the board just did its thing when on rail. The trick was that I had to ease off a bit and not try and push her too hard through turns. Just let the board do the work.

An amazing board in my short experience though certainly not suited to everyone. It is an acquired taste. Bit like going to top shelf Burgundy if all you have been drinking id bold Aussie Shiraz. Though this board certainly has some refined boldness to it.

Would love to get Maurice to make me a round pin version but it seems it’s become impossible to get boards from him at the moment. At least that is what I’m told.