Alternative Indo board

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

Alternative Indo board

Post by JET01 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:50 pm

Heading over to Indo next year. Thinking about getting a new board.

I love my 7'7 single but doubt it would get much use. And it was a pain travelling with a really long board.
I feel really confident in anything up to head high on my 6'8 waterskate but dont surf it much as I'm loving single fins too much at the moment. So when the surf gets good I usually ride my 6'1 single.
I'll have my 6'4 more quadfather with me but would like to ride a single from time to time.

Could these boards be blended into a versatile travel board.

What I reckon would work: 6'4 x 20 1/4 x 2 5/8 miller waterskate type eggy shape with a touch more rocker than normal and a bit more pinny in the tail.
Quad set up and a single fin box.

Whaddya reggon? :B or <:
Last edited by JET01 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: Reckon this would work?

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:08 pm

Mitchell Rea Smart Board and tell him where you going he has the joint wired I'm told so ask him what he thinks. My 2 cents. outer island surfboards

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:43 am

What about a mark rabbidge 4play with a fin box.
The morning of the earth 3 on the tree boards look sweet too.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:57 pm

Just booked the trip to Indo (13 months to go).
Had a chat with my shaper the other day who didn't want to do me a single fin with quad option so I've been doing a little bit of looking around. I was surprised to find so many shapers out there doing this.

At the moment. There's a few options on the cards in no particular order:
1. Stick with my local guy, forget about the quad option and go a 2+1 instead.
2. 6'6 mctavish bluebird (no flyer) for a straight up top quality old school single from the bloke that was there when it all went down.
3. 6'4 Rabbidge channel bottom quad (maybe he'll put a box in for me?)
4. 6'4 Miller custom single/quad. My 6'8 waterskate is still going strong after all these years. Great build quality. Grant's no stranger to the old school single either.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: Alternative Indo board

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:26 pm

I love my qauds. I love my channels. I sorta agree with saltman. My HP board is a 5 fin McKee set up but I find I prefer it as a quad. I'm having made a 6'11 step up six clinker quad only. I don't want to be mucking around with fin placements in down the line waves so I went for the KISS theory and it will be tested out in WA. Best of luck with your decision
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:44 pm

saltman wrote:My concern would be that trying to pack too much into one board when your going to get some of the loveliest waves on the planet. Maybe it's just overcomplicating it ..............As I get older I get simpler
So I guess the bluebird gets your vote?

I guess you're right. I'll have the 6'4 5 fin quadfather with me (unless I snap it in the mean time) so I guess I'll ride that if I want a quad. It's getting on a bit so instead of getting a quad and a single I was hoping to get a big of a two for one.
Can't help but feel the old saying " a tight arse pays twice" will come into play here.

Thanks for your input so far gents.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:59 am

why would you want to ride a 70's single fin in Indo?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:05 am

Whereabouts in indo? The type of waves you're looking to surf should help you decide.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:49 pm

TWO PLUS ONE = speed and drive

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:55 pm

Jeez, imagine that, me agreeing with two people on the one thread. I mean I love how a single rides but for info I would not go past a quad or thruster. My surfing level is not high enough at my age to afford to risk it. Yes you can improve singles and how they ride but take note of this, tommos new boards are scaringly similar to the double enders of the sixties, really they are ( check out the lines and you will be amazed), yet they aren't singles. Now why would that be I wonder?? Mad if you just take singles, even a two plus one would be better
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:20 pm

I'd go a Bobsled or Carver Fish way before I'd pack a Bluebird. Similar overall lines but much more versatile. Definitely agree about two plus one being a vast improvement as well.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:02 pm

steve shearer wrote:why would you want to ride a 70's single fin in Indo?
Why wouldn't I?

Powerful clean waves, I'd assume it would be a nice experience. I've seen clips of other guys that have done it. Although, I haven't been to the Mentawais before. Feel free to fill me in.
Beerfan wrote:Whereabouts in indo? The type of waves you're looking to surf should help you decide.
I'm going on the Mentawais Tengirri charter in June. Anyone done that vessel before?
diggerdickson wrote:Mad if you just take singles, even a two plus one would be better
I'm really enjoying singles at the moment. It might change by the time I leave. But I'm definitely not going to take a single alone.

Depending on what happens on the mean time I'll take my 6'1 single, 6'4 quadfather (tri/quad), 6'8 rabbidge thruster and what ever else I decide on.
saltman wrote:Went on a Ments boat trip about 7 years ago with a bunch of guys all in there 40's
one bought a lovely new single fin he had made for the trip and was determined to surf it most of the time
I would say he had less fun, made fewer waves, than anyone...... I am sure not too long ago he was a more than competent surfer but geez he struggled compared to everyone else
That's why I'm thinking of this 13months BEFORE the trip. I wouldn't want to have a new board on a trip I've been dreaming about for 20 years. Imagine you got all that way and thought "well this is a piece of shit"
Beanpole wrote:I'd go a Bobsled or Carver Fish way before I'd pack a Bluebird. Similar overall lines but much more versatile. Definitely agree about two plus one being a vast improvement as well.
The bluebird is looking less likely.
Had a chat with Mark Rabbidge on the phone this arvo about his 4play models. He said his son Mick usually takes a 6'1 and 6'9 model when he goes to Indo, but 2+1 not quads. Either fin set up would be fine though.

There was a green 5'11 channel bottom in Cronulla surf design a few years back that I ummed and arred about when it was marked down to $550 or something silly like that brand new. I thought about it for too long and missed out. Wanted one ever since.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Why wouldn't I?

Powerful clean waves, I'd assume it would be a nice experience. I've seen clips of other guys that have done it. Although, I haven't been to the Mentawais before. Feel free to fill me in.
Beerfan wrote:Whereabouts in indo? The type of waves you're looking to surf should help you decide.
I'm going on the Mentawais Tengirri charter in June. Anyone done that vessel before?
diggerdickson wrote:Mad if you just take singles, even a two plus one would be better
I'm really enjoying singles at the moment. It might change by the time I leave. But I'm definitely not going to take a single alone.

Depending on what happens on the mean time I'll take my 6'1 single, 6'4 quadfather (tri/quad), 6'8 rabbidge thruster and what ever else I decide on.
saltman wrote:Went on a Ments boat trip about 7 years ago with a bunch of guys all in there 40's
one bought a lovely new single fin he had made for the trip and was determined to surf it most of the time
I would say he had less fun, made fewer waves, than anyone...... I am sure not too long ago he was a more than competent surfer but geez he struggled compared to everyone else
That's why I'm thinking of this 13months BEFORE the trip. I wouldn't want to have a new board on a trip I've been dreaming about for 20 years. Imagine you got all that way and thought "well this is a piece of shit"
Beanpole wrote:I'd go a Bobsled or Carver Fish way before I'd pack a Bluebird. Similar overall lines but much more versatile. Definitely agree about two plus one being a vast improvement as well.
Had a chat with Mark Rabbidge on the phone this arvo about his 4play models. He said his son Mick usually takes a 6'1 and 6'9 model when he goes to Indo, but 2+1 not quads. Either fin set up would be fine though.

I remember seeing a green 5'11 quad model on the rack in Cronulla surf design for $550 or something silly like that brand new. Ummed and arred too long and missed it. Wanted one ever since.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:33 pm

Sell it/trade it in and get a nice rounded pin at a length that suits.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:58 pm

My single was a wedding present from my wife. It'll end up a wall hanger one say.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:38 am

I kept my single and put my ex wife on the wall above the bar. Much better idea.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:51 am

I'm heading over at some point this year, reckon I might take a 6'9 Black Beauty as one of 2 boards. Liking this V thing.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:20 pm

The mental fixation with fin clusters on this thread is bizarre..... probably because there's not many well made singles out there theses days.