surfboard agency boards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: surfboard agency boards

Post by Cranked » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:24 pm

Yeah Beanpole, you could be right about that wide tail, that's why I played it safe and went for something narrower for bigger, hollower waves; the 6'10 has a much narrower tail, 17" rather than 17.25" :-D-:
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Are they corky as all fkukk? I imagine that sort of volume with the light weight construction they'd feel like surfing a giant fishing float.

unclethirsty
Grommet

Post by unclethirsty » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Cranked, are you a big guy & normally hard on your boards.From your description of the TSA XF boards, did you get all mccoys?, seems like the xf tech is ok.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:41 pm

Beery, I think you get used to the feel of a board, so I don't find them corky, but anyone coming from a 25-35l PUPE certainly would.

They are not as corky as the Surftechs though, I think the ultra stiffness of the Surtech sandwich translates as a corky feel. The corkiest feeling board for me was a 6'3 Surftech Biscuit.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:55 pm

unclethirsty I'm not a big guy, but I'm old, 63. I was nearly 90kg about 3 years ago but I'm 76kg now and still losing weight. I'm not hard on my boards, but as I said, I often need to duck dive the fcukers, which means really driving my knee into the deck. And you just can't help it if a baggage handler drops a 30kg suitcase on your board, or just chucks it onto the tarmac.

All the boards are McCoy nuggets, 6'3, 6'6, 6'8, 6'10 and 8'. The 6'6 gets most use when I'm in Indo, followed by the 6'3. The 6'3 is by far the most fun, but I catch less waves in a crowd. I'm thinking of trading the 6'10 for a 6'1. I had a 7' Double Ender, but found the rocker was too flat for Indo, swapped it for the 6'10. The 8' is for use instead of a mal, or maybe for big fattish waves if I ever take it to Indo.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:47 pm

@cranked...just bought the 8/0 for knee to waist hi stuff :-)( :-)( :-)( :-)(

3 sessions and loving it for the no grunt days(lots)

its an early model Fusion plugs( can use my collection of twin tabs)

no rail dings but BAD deck dents

how are your decks holding up now?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:13 pm

All mine are really good, nothing on the decks still, one really small depression on the bottom after a flight though.

Is your board epoxy? I've had one Surf Agency poly, much heavier and it had way more deck depressions after one surf than all of the other epoxies combined.

By he way all my boards had board numbers like 1, 2 or 3, so I may have got some good ones while they were trying to impress Geoff with their quality construction.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Going fast in a straight line would get boring after a while.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Davros wrote:Going fast in a straight line would get boring after a while.
The tri fin nuggets turn like all fcuk, they always have. For god's sake there's over an inch of tail rocker on the stringer line (and huge V so there's much more on the rail) in the last 28" of the board. With the huge 17" tail and flat V panels to push on they also accelerate like fcuk when you crank it over and push hard. That's why people buy them, its the single fins that are awkward to turn. Everything about the design is optimised so you can stay in that one position as much as possible.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:18 pm

I'm sure they go great, I just see people sort of trim across waves a bit, had assumed thats how they ride, also with that much foam in the tail it seems it wouldnt bite and cut also from what Im told its all back foot it kinda dont make no sense to me, but then theres that whole loaded dome thing and McCoy is a legend I guess. I havent ridden one and would be open to trying, I'm no board snob thats for sure.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:04 pm

That's probably got more to do with the type of people that ride em.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:18 pm

andy2476 wrote:That's probably got more to do with the type of people that ride em.
Tha'ts for sure, they are marketed to beginners because of their easy paddling and the fact that you can get the same board design in huge sizes, if there was an 8', 65l Hypto Krypto it would fill the same market niche. Just because beginners ride them doesn't invalidate the design. TBH, I don't think they're suited to beginners or intermediates as its very unlikely that they'll have their stance back far enough and all the rolled V forward makes them ride like shit from the front; a larger version of almost any board on the market would be better to learn on than a McCoy.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:01 pm

Here in lies the dilema of the McCoy surfboard

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:17 pm

There's already a seven foot, 60.56l hypto. Sure an eight footer isn't far away.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:52 pm

I bought a 6'3" xf all round nugget and took it for its first surf this morning in good 3' beachbreak waves with an outgoing tide. Used it with fcs II neo glass reactors.
I've owned an original single fin zap back in 81-82. Then a thruster zap 6'4" and a stumpy 6'3" and lastly an astron zot 6'er all hand shaped polys.
I have also had a surf on a 6'8" astron zot and a poly 6'6" all round nugget.
The thing that used to bug me about the boards was the time it took for them to react to my input. Think about turning and they eventually did it for you. In doing the turns they could feel great. The astron zot was my favourite so far. Sold it last year to help fund a van purchase.
Fast forward to this morning and after a few waves on the 6'3" I was thinking I have to go to go and buy another one in 6'8" or so as a step up.
It blew my mind how fast it would surf and how loose it felt. Fast and loose...now that's a mantra and it would turn wherever I wanted and I do actually know how to turn.
I was a bit concerned about its rails as it doesn't have the usual loaf of bread McCoy rails (sic) or the heft of the polys. This is no doubt what makes it feel so lively.
I love the thing.
Going longer on them doesn't worry me because they don't feel stiffer when you oversize them and the loaded dome/wide tail combo and also nose rocker also helps them surf a little shorter than the length would have you believe.
I just went and put a deposit on a 6'8". I'm with cranked. If you haven't ridden one you can bag them all you want but they are nothing like the handshaped polys and that is in my opinion a move in the right direction for me because I'm going to surf the snot out of them.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks for the review Cuttles, can u add a couple of fcs plugs & report Back how they go as a quad? Also, how it goes In small waves with a twin plus trailer set up :)
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:43 pm

very interesting - do they do the potbelly or zot in XF? Can you buy them direct?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Quad plugs ha ha...doesn't need em.
Once the swell drops I'll run it as a twin plus trailer and see how it goes.
Apparently they do the astron zot in xf but no sign of a pot belly yet. Don't know about buying direct but my 6'3" is an unridden sales sample from Ebay.
The xf I have are the white ones same as cranked. They look similar to the eps hypto kryptos up close.
They have a 220 Biax on the deck with a 6 oz over the top. The 220 Biax is similar to an 8 oz so there is plenty of cloth on the deck! The EPS core is 36 gram which is the highest density EPS used in surf blanks according to the Surfboard agency guy.
They also have coloured ones but the paint reminds me of the Surftech 2 pack so I shied away from those.
Only a rat can win the rat race.