Be an art critic

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Re: Be an art critic

Post by godsavetheking » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:23 am

I call bullshit on that steve. I could take a b&w pic of the path behind the dunes at one of my local beaches and it would would look pretty much identical.

Nah, clue's in the name of the file - 'ride in the sky' - presumably a reference to the valkyrie-esque form just below centre. Do I win a lollipop?
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:31 am

this article is far more exciting

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:46 am

close enough, next question: who's on it?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:28 pm

Bobby Dazzler wrote:
Beanpole wrote:Perhaps the identity of the photographer may give it some symbolic meaning.
I remember seeing one of the earliest photos taken in the NSW Art Gallery.
It was as boring as Fcuk. Just a grey rocky plane. The site of a major cavalry charge.
Crimean War, 1855 'Valley of the Shadow of Death' by Roger Fenton. one of the great photographs of war.
Yeah, that's the one. Boring as...please explain what's great about it other than being "early".
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:54 pm

I don't know Glenelg. I see ANZACS. Maybe not yet, so just Turks. Gallipolli Penis circa 100 yrs ago

War is theatre, therefore war is art as in The Art of War. I'm happy to criticise
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:48 pm

Its a bit of turf.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:10 pm

That Roger Fenton Crimean war photo is one of the most famous war photos. Of course, we are quite blasé now.

"...in coming to a ravine called the valley of death, the sight passed all imagination: round shot and shell lay like a stream at the bottom of the hollow all the way down, you could not walk without treading upon them...
–Roger Fenton

Fenton's most famous photograph is also one of the most well-known images of war. Across a desolate and featureless landscape, not a single figure can be found. The landscape is inhabited only by cannonballs–so plentiful that they first appear to be rocks–that stand in for the human casualties on the battlefield. The sense of emptiness and unease is heightened by the visual uncertainty created by the changing scale of the road and the sloping sides of the ravine.

Borrowing from the Twenty-third Psalm of the Bible, the Valley of Death was named by British soldiers who came under constant shelling there. Fenton traveled to the dangerous ravine twice, and on his second visit he made two exposures. Fenton wrote that he had intended to move in closer at the site. But danger forced him to retreat back up the road, where he created this image.

On a commissioned assignment, Fenton traveled in 1853 to the Crimean peninsula on the Black Sea, where England, France, and Turkey were fighting a war against Russia. To avoid offending Victorian sensibilities, Fenton refrained from photographing the dead and wounded. His more than three hundred images of encampments, battle sites, and portraits of all miltary ranks, became the first extensive photo-documentation of any war. When exhibited in England, Fenton's photographs of the Crimean War established his reputation."

Bobby Dazzler
Local

Post by Bobby Dazzler » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:49 am

what makes it great? i don't need to tell you, you saw it yourself....it's boringness is what makes it so great.
it's a scene of utter desolation and uniformity. war has stripped the earth of all life, human or otherwise. it has even stripped the scene of all earthliness. war has stripped the scene of all interest. this is war captured as pure destruction, but not some grand destruction of epic ruins, not the poetry of " Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair". just low hills, unremarkable and unredeemed.
Beanpole wrote:....
Yeah, that's the one. Boring as...please explain what's great about it other than being "early".

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:26 pm

An important artwork. It paved the way for bland photos to be given significance by text.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:43 pm

the only thing mind numbingly wankier than art criticism is the artist's statement.
Erase.

Bobby Dazzler
Local

Post by Bobby Dazzler » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:03 pm

Beanpole wrote:An important artwork. It paved the way for bland photos to be given significance by text.
meanwhile, back at the academy of the overrated...
http://youtu.be/fOyw6Q8qWpM

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:20 pm

Dillinger wrote:the only thing mind numbingly wankier than art criticism is the artist's statement.
Very pleased with how quickly we have got right into the guts of art theory here :B
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:08 pm

Beanpole wrote:An important artwork. It paved the way for bland photos to be given significance by text.
I bet you don't think much of Blue Poles.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:25 pm

Blue Poles! Now you're talking. Not fake at all. Pollock just got shitfaced and chucked paint around, extremely well indeed. Needs to be seen on the wall to truly appreciate. See, I can't understand how art and measly words can go
together - its about perception and emotional response. Totally subjective. Hence I don't care what someone else's opinion of it is, and the last thing an artist should need to do is explain themself.
Erase.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:51 pm

foamy wrote:
I bet you don't think much of Blue Poles.
Possibly the worst potential choice you could make. Pollocks work relies on texture, gesture, movement, immediacy and subconscious impulse to create a symphony of forms and colour.

I'm with Dillinger.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Bobby Dazzler
Local

Post by Bobby Dazzler » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:29 am

Dillinger wrote:Blue Poles! Now you're talking. Not fake at all. Pollock just got shitfaced and chucked paint around, extremely well indeed. Needs to be seen on the wall to truly appreciate. See, I can't understand how art and measly words can go
together - its about perception and emotional response. Totally subjective. Hence I don't care what someone else's opinion of it is, and the last thing an artist should need to do is explain themself.
#drunkuncleatchristmaslunch

if someone else's opinions on art don't matter and is totally subjective, then your opinions on art don't matter and are totally subjective.

you've also got a lot of theories about what art should and shouldn't be for someone who claims art criticism is mind-numbingly wanky.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:52 pm

:shock:
Erase.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:18 pm

Ha. Pollock. lol.
Reminds me of when I go to any one of an old art school chum's show.
The ones who had the walk and the talk. Dress in very expensive black.
Carry an air of how do you say?
Great tan they tell me. I say I mess about on boats and surf a bit.
Wow, they say...Midget Farrelly.
That's the art world's impression.
The surf world's impression of art isn't too disimilar.
Beany and Dills on Jackson Pollock. lol.