Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: Midlengths

Post by Davros » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Don't buy anything from Dripping Wet at Manly, ok maybe wax.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:26 pm

Hahaha it was an epoxy dartboards 7'4 backpacker special that started this midlength episode.
Just had another session on it up at Wanda. So many more waves than if I'd been on one of my other boards.

I'm thinking about getting some side fins put in for more options.

No leggie freedom after a long day at work. Gold.

Any opinions on what size fin? I haven't discussed it with Patto yet. I'm thinking 9".
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Bit much for a midlength. I like greenough 4a style fins, for mid 7', 7 1/2"

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:38 pm

The fin in my 6'1 is massive then. I'll measure it tomorrow. I reckon it's a 9' too.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:14 am

Dunno, they all look pretty pulled in so maybe that's why?. I think they look great. Clean lines, no fancy wings etc, just clean curves.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:27 pm

According to Grant Miller's website, he is moving back to Sydney by the end of the year, at least for the summer

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Grabbed this today. I had some cash I was saving to buy a JD before I hurt my knee, but, it's going to be a while before I get another one. Last surf on the longboard went really well, so I decided to come done in length. This is 7'0" x 22". Pretty wide but I'm still a while off sharp/hard turns just yet, but ready to move away from the single fin longboard. This should do very nicely in the next few months. Probably be on this for at least 6 months, then the wires some out, so it'll come in handy after that as well. 5 fin setup makes it more attractive than 2+1 as well.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:43 pm

When does a mid length start, 7ft? 7'6? Or is it a type of board? You can big guy short boards that are 7ft.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:57 pm

Davros wrote:Don't buy anything from Dripping Wet at Manly, ok maybe wax.
Has the Dripping Wet Shop in Bondi been sold or just a name change with the move up the road?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:50 pm

Davros wrote:When does a mid length start, 7ft? 7'6? Or is it a type of board? You can big guy short boards that are 7ft.
Good question I wouldn't call either of these boards mini mals and the shorter one at 6'10 wouldn't fit the short board description

http://instagram.com/p/uNDg7YMkXM/

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:07 pm

Baby square on the 6'10" would restrict its useful wave range.
:-o
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:01 am

The black one on the other hand looks fun if not a little wide....caramel thai silk....come on give me a break.

I rode a 6'9 x 20 1/8 x 2 3/4 rolled deck low rail NPJ 2+1 yesterday, glide into waves, drive and flow and rail sinking bottom turns into effortless cutbacks (in my mind anyway which is really all that counts) it made my week. To me that felt like what a mid length should be all about.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:00 pm

Davros wrote:The black one on the other hand looks fun if not a little wide....caramel thai silk....come on give me a break.

I rode a 6'9 x 20 1/8 x 2 3/4 rolled deck low rail NPJ 2+1 yesterday, glide into waves, drive and flow and rail sinking bottom turns into effortless cutbacks (in my mind anyway which is really all that counts) it made my week. To me that felt like what a mid length should be all about.
Stuart's a lot about the art. So as josh dowling will usually encourage his customers to name their boards, Stuart will often come up with extravagent names for the air work he puts on boards.

My will will be similar to the black one, just an inch longer. 7'7 x 22 x 2 7/8
Im pretty happy with the width. I've recently sold my 9'4 so will enjoy something that will keep up with the mals most of the time.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:00 pm

Davros wrote:The black one on the other hand looks fun if not a little wide....caramel thai silk....come on give me a break.

Stuart's a lot about the art. So as josh dowling will usually encourage his customers to name their boards, Stuart will often come up with extravagent names for the air work he puts on boards.

My will will be similar to the black one, just an inch longer. 7'7 x 22 x 2 7/8
Im pretty happy with the width. I've recently sold my 9'4 so will enjoy something that will keep up with the mals most of the time.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:22 am

How heavy and tall are you jet?. I'm 5'9" x 78kg and the above board is 7'0 x 22 x 2 7/8 and is basically a 7' longboard with 5 fin setup. Surfed it yesterday and for someone who has a knee full of wire I had no trouble turning it. Paddled like a boat and caught everything. With the quad setup it's bloody quick too. Sick board :)

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:04 am

Beautiful
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:14 pm

I'll take some and work out how to load up, my files are always to big

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:32 pm

Davros, open them with office picture viewer and click compress pictures, easy.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart