Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Beanpole » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:38 am

Fong can start wearing a hula skirt to surf in. They are as expandable as the rope on the top. Hope this helps.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:44 am

Beanpole wrote:Fong can start wearing a hula skirt to surf in. They are as expandable as the rope on the top. Hope this helps.
I'd like to see that, and a coconut bra for the manboobs.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:54 am

mentone mansions wrote: I'd like to see that, and a coconut bra for the manboobs.
Hang on are we talking about surfieC again now?
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

packa
regular

Post by packa » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:55 am

Matticus Finch wrote:I can't really help you with any tips fongss, it just comes naturally to me but I would be keen to hear about the boards these guys are on if you ever get a chance to check em out.

For now perhaps you could just wear one of those weighted diving belts.
Tied to his nut sack >><< so as not to hurt his back, knee, or shoulder ... :wink:

Yes, fong, what ARE the boards like? :-?

regular

Post by 8 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:16 pm

I reckon more power in the waves, more power/weight in the surfer is beneficial, all other things being equal. I'm a fairly weighty individual at 115kg and suck when it is tiny. Bigger the waves better I get, at least that is what I tell myself.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:38 pm

sadly fong is gibbering

fat guys like who, Manoa? Poto? Kevin Bourez? Simon the bodyboarder superman?

not that there aren't fat guys who rip, in Tahiti and here too

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:30 pm

New RS fatty list up soon
Last edited by andy2476 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi matticus

funny you should mention my apparent patience in this thread in an earlier post. It's about at breaking point right now actually. But not due to your request so let's just deal with that now.

first up, get a good pair of goggles. Rebel Sport sell good Speedo goggles for about $30. They'll last you a long time if you don't abuse them, and you need 'em in a chlorinated pool.

I'd just start out by swimming ten 100s. Swim 75 freestyle and the other 25m on your back, either backstroke or just kicking with arms extended beyond your head. Have a short rest after each 100m.

At the end of the ten 100s, have a short rest, then see how far you can swim underwater before coming up for air. If you make 25m the first time you do it, great! Don't try to go any further than that for a while.

Don't worry about technique, but do see if you can focus on your breathing. Amazingly people forget to breathe while they swim and it's a principal reason why they tire quickly. Oh and don't do any breaststroke.

Just do that for a few weeks and if it's going well I'll try to give you some more things to work on.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:57 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:04 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: funny you should mention my apparent patience in this thread in an earlier post. It's about at breaking point right now actually. But not due to your request so let's just deal with that now.
Oh ... so is this the beginning of that meltdown Shearer inferred would happen to a long time RSer just prior to xmas ... hold on to your hats gentlemen.

Moving on ...

Nick
I was watching a doco the other day. In it Mark Mathews was presented with a couple of big wave awards. The first was 5K from memory, the second 20K ... anyway you graced the stage on both these occasions. During the first presentation your attire was board shorts and a t-shirt. It was the second presentation that really caught my eye ... you appeared in what seemed to be a white t-shirt and some trousers ... they were both wrinkled to buggery (it really stood out) ... whats the story.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:08 pm

Legion wrote:Nick, I value your input on this thread and other media. Not one for sycophancy so I'll leave it at that.

In the interests of diverting towards more relevant surf-related material - bottom contours. What do you like? I've been on pure single concave for a few years and love them however most people I know have (sometimes deep) single-to-double or just double. Advantages/disadvantages on a 18 1/2" wide shortboard with skinny pro-style square or squash tail?
Ah I am a fan of single concave in any smaller board, it feels like a more direct source of lift than the double.

A few years ago the single concave was still a bit mistrusted by a lot of surfers, I think because they seemed tricky to place correctly at the time and would have ugly side effects if placed too far up or back or too deep or whatever. A double was a more forgiving alternative and with its implied vee seemed to fit a lot of outlines and rockers more naturally.

Today it's a different story, we just did another board test and I was struck by how much high performance design has moved in the past year - I think because so many shapers have finally got the machine software figured out and have used it to gain control over shorter packages and single concave placement. Result, beautifully accurate boards in the 5'6" to 5'10" range almost all equipped with great single concave bottoms, a lot of lift but in sync with the board's natural turning potential.

That seems the go now, a bit shorter, slightly more width in the nose more than the tail, clean bottoms with single concaves and a tiny vee behind the back fin (sometimes), a range of tails including a softened diamond thing that feels great in such boards.

Anyway yeah single concave, hurray.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Womble wrote: Nick
I was watching a doco the other day. In it Mark Mathews was presented with a couple of big wave awards. The first was 5K from memory, the second 20K ... anyway you graced the stage on both these occasions. During the first presentation your attire was board shorts and a t-shirt. It was the second presentation that really caught my eye ... you appeared in what seemed to be a white t-shirt and some trousers ... they were both wrinkled to buggery (it really stood out) ... whats the story.
I can't remember any of what you are talking about here womble. You must have mistaken me for someone else.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:52 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: I can't remember any of what you are talking about here womble.
Well that explains the dishevelled look then.

It was this Image

Fighting Fear

And you are definitely there ... on that stage.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:07 pm

well those big wave award presso nights usually leave one rather dishevelled.

xe
regular

Post by xe » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:23 pm

Maybe different years for the Big Wave Awards hence different dress. I got NFI haven't seen doco DVD.
"I'm just a surfer who wanted to build something that would allow me to surf longer"
Jack O'Neill

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:06 pm

Hey ... don't get me wrong here ... there is absolutely nothing wrong with being dishevelled ... its been my goto look for years. I'll take an educated guess that the lord of outer Byron ... our very own Merks has the look down pat ... and I can assure you all that Mr Shearer is the Pierre Cardin of said look ... from street urchin to sea urchin ... they all follow Stiv the spiv.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Whenever I ask my wife if my work clothes look creased in the morning she says No they're fine. This is usually wrong.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

regular

Post by 8 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Because she doesn't want to do the ironing