Roys bank balance

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Battery
Grommet

Roys bank balance

Post by Battery » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:26 am

A master surfboard maker has sold a handcrafted board to a New Zealand buyer for a staggering $1.5 million.

Roy Stuart, from Putaruru in Waikato, has been crafting wooden boards in his workshop, refining designs and striving for "the ultimate ride" for the past two decades.

For 14 years, he camped without power or running water, "just a wood stove, eight kids, three dogs, and two cats".

But all the while, he was doing what he loved in pursuit of perfection. Now, it's all paid off.

He has sold a "Rampant" board to a mystery New Zealander, who Mr Stuart says is involved in the pharmaceutical industry.

"Not bad eh. I've been really scraping and doing it on the smell of an oily rag for a long time," the 53-year old said.

The stunning 3.2m board is sculpted from paulownia timber and bears a 23-carat gold "Rampant" heraldic lion.

Its flexible design, with a single concave that stretches from its soft-entry nose to its tail, enables it to reach speeds of up to 56 km/h.

The structure and method has been honed since he started board-making fulltime in 1994.

The Rampant, Mr Stuart says, is the pinnacle of what he has learned.

While he says the board is "so visually striking many people think it might be designed for artistic appeal alone", he denies that it's art.

"From the beginning, I made a solemn vow that I would never do anything to a board that wasn't solely for its functional purpose," he said.

"For the first 10 years or so I used to just paint them white - it was all about the ride.

"In this sort of discipline, art comes from the ride. If it works well, it will be enjoyable to look at."

In true surfing style, the father-of-12 philosophy major is a radical.

His boards and designs are often copied by some of the world's largest board shapers.

International board makers have been "handicapped" for the last half a century, he says, because they continue to stick with inefficient designs.

Longboards are "trendy", he said, but difficult to ride.

And so are short boards, which require high levels of athletic skill to make them ride waves well.

His boards, he says, glide better and are better-balanced.

"The result in water is really obvious," said Mr Stuart, who also uses 3D printing technology for high-performance, polycarbonate fins.

So what's with the US$1.3 million, or $1.5 million, price?

He says surfing deserves to have signature pieces - just as vintage wines which can fetch millions.

"I'm not going to justify the price. To me, it's just a number," he says.

"How much more is it worth to have something you really like? It's really a moot point."

And besides, it's worked.

Mr Stuart wouldn't say who the buyer was.

But all that hard work, sacrifice, has paid finally paid off.

"Success at last," he said. "It's been a long hard grind, but there's still been a lot of waves caught - a lot of fun. It's been a blast."APNZ

- NZ Herald
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11295826

Hollowed out
regular

Re: Roys bank balance

Post by Hollowed out » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:35 am

if true, this will shut the critics up. Gotta love his passion and ability to back himself in the face of the knockers.
Go you good thing Roy! BTW could you step in and give the Wallabies a few tips, maybe even buy them.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:34 pm

This has all been on before, some weeks ago.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Sorry guys. I should have posted it up on the ' What did you buy today?' thread. Been busy trying to get the phukka up on my wall.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Roy, whats happening......don't tell me you've deserted the common man who backed you in the wilderness years.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Battery
Grommet

Post by Battery » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Trev wrote:This has all been on before, some weeks ago.
Come on Trev... You don't seriously think this can just be swept under the carpet so easily?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Battery wrote:
Trev wrote:This has all been on before, some weeks ago.
Come on Trev... You don't seriously think this can just be swept under the carpet so easily?
:-?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:30 pm

I gotta be honest and say that I never thought this would happen. Insane. Well done Roy.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:46 pm

Drailed wrote:I gotta be honest and say that I never thought this would happen. Insane. Well done Roy.
And what makes you think it actually has happened?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Well yes ok, I just believed what I read. But maybe it's not true... Maybe it's just a bs story whipped up by Roy to dupe some other rich dude into thinking paying 1.5 million for one of his boards is the norm. Keeping up with the joneses and all that..
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:06 pm

like reg already said weeks ago, the sweet irony is the mystery millionaire is some pharmaceutical baron.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:47 pm

Obviously an officianado of surfboard performance.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:11 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:
el rancho wrote:like reg already said weeks ago, the sweet irony is the mystery millionaire is some pharmaceutical baron.
getting high on his own supply clearly.

if only they were a jewish WW2 concentration camp survivor, that would have really tested roy's integrity

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:19 am

That worked for a sunscreen manufacturer.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:20 am

Hang in there guys it will be on the second hand racks 1.1m soon, cheaper still than a Gato Herio or a Mc Callum fish.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:05 pm

$1.5 million is a nice earner I admit, however it does not go all that far when you've got 12 kids I tell ya.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:09 pm

what the article didn't say is the purchaser picked up the board from Roy with the old, "I'll pay you Tuesday."

and has not been seen since.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:13 pm

Braithy wrote:what the article didn't say is the purchaser picked up the board from Roy with the old, "I'll pay you Tuesday."

and has not been seen since.
That would be a shame because Roy was recently seen hauling a load of blanks out of the forest in a brand new blinged up Kenworth.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.