Hypto Krypto voted "board of the year"

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Hypto Krypto voted "board of the year"

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:56 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Captain on a 32 litre board where is the waterline up to if you had the board level in the water under you?
When paddling the nose of the board barely breaks the surface, usually stays just under. When sitting on the board the water is around chest line. It is EPS/epoxy mind you...
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:55 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:
Cuttlefish wrote:Captain on a 32 litre board where is the waterline up to if you had the board level in the water under you?
When paddling the nose of the board barely breaks the surface, usually stays just under. When sitting on the board the water is around chest line. It is EPS/epoxy mind you...
That's about where the water line sits with my normal short boards. Just under my manly chest.

Back to hypto's though: it's the same level with my 5'8 HK as it is with my 6'0 Gomez thruster.

The HK will out paddle the Gomez every time though. Performs much better on fat sections and smaller waves.

So yeah I'll accept that volume has a small place in board selection, but it's far outweighed by rocker, plan shape etc...

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:58 am

saw one of the really keen locals surfing one this morning......he was surfing really well on it.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:38 pm

steve shearer wrote:saw one of the really keen locals surfing one this morning......he was surfing really well on it.
Did ya ask him what size and volume it was Steve!!!! :-)(

LPJ
Grommet

Post by LPJ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:03 pm

fINALly (http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=270) got to run my HK-esque 6'0 (as 2 large thruster + 2 poly trailing (I know I need to experiment) in good and crappy, powerful and weak, 2-5ft beachies. I'll try to stick to the feel...

Floats, duck dives, pops up and paddles into rampy waves fairly well. I can wriggle back a bit while paddling for waves, i.e. don't need to be hard out all momentum forward. The need to do that for take offs is just in my head really, but it forgives me for it never the less. Don't think I have even really had to attempt to air drop take off intentionally, only when late. Even on the sucky, smaller waves. On those ones I still mostly manage to fade hard along the wall. All in all, it doesn't feel like a HPS where there's a lot of hard paddling, late take offs and hard bottom turns. It glides in, which can be quite bumpy and loose.

Once I'm up and travelling down the face, in beachies remember: the benefit in ease of acceleration is kind of lost with the loss of responsiveness. I'm tracking across the face past sections, but can't generate much speed from all out pumping/bottom turns. I'm finding it hard to switch from rail to rail; in fact, turns are just hard full stop. The extra float over end section foam is fun though. So far, it's more of a board for the open face and predictable sections. As for barrels, I've pulled into the back of and raced inside many close outs, but I'm not claiming any.

I'll stick at it anyway, change up to an off the shelf quad fin setup sooner or later... try eye off better lines too.

EDIT: as for feet positioning. I'm less concious about fine and quick adjustments, but I am making a point of being right back on the back of the pad. That's just what I'm focusing on for now, to try and jam those turns as much as possible.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:59 am

Try smaller more upright rears

LPJ
Grommet

Post by LPJ » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:30 am

Cheers, yeah. I'll try cut down some plastics

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:32 pm

Just 'coz

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:30 am

No mate. That's a goat.

unclethirsty
Grommet

Post by unclethirsty » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:03 pm

So, has anyone actually gone & tested a Hypto, liked it & brought one. Do you still like it, how has the deck held up, apparently that was/is an issue.

LPJ
Grommet

Post by LPJ » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:18 pm

I believe Braithy had one if you go back through the thread...?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:39 am

hatchy's gonna love this

On the front page of the Manly Daily today, there is current NSW Premier Mike Baird surfing Manly...on a Hypto Krypto.

Then in the SMH's Good Food section, which makes the claim on its cover that "surfing shaped Sydney's restaurant industry", there is hipster chef Mark LaBrooy of Bondi's Three Blue Ducks...holding a Hypto Krypto.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:01 am

Well it did get voted "board of the year" after all. It's not a just "any ol' board", it's a celebrity !! All we need now is pics of Tony Abbott flailing about on one. That'd ice the cake.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:42 am

Has Tones been on anything shorter than 7ft?

Mike Baird

Matt Labrooy (no prizes which of the two he is)
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

surfborges

Post by surfborges » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:36 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Well it did get voted "board of the year" after all. It's not a just "any ol' board", it's a celebrity !! All we need now is pics of Tony Abbott flailing about on one. That'd ice the cake.
Celebrity boards...they'll be forgotten about next year and confined to the bargain bin like so many failed popstars

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:34 pm

I worked with Andrew Stoner quite closely for a couple of years in the 80‘s. Boy, I could tell you some stories, but I won't. It was quite amazing to everyone when he suddenly got religion. But he was always an interesting fellow and very smart.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:16 am

ctd wrote: On the other hand, starting with volume is completely pointless. A gun and mini mal and a big shortboard or fish might all have the same volume. A highly rockered shortboard and a tiny dumpster diver type board may have the same volume. It doesnt tell you anything.

I noticed that Grant Miller on his site says he is publishing an article in PLB (Pacific Longboarder, I presume?) in July about this very issue "It is a critical examination of the concept and legitimacy of using litres and volume calculators in the selection of surfboards. I believe that this practice has no legitimate place in the surfboard industry and cannot go unchallenged. It will be several pages long and include both shaping and surfing photos. It is not a feel good article' .
Here is the article ...
http://www.grantmillersurfboards.com.au/shaper/Volume
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.