surfboard agency boards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

unclethirsty
Grommet

surfboard agency boards

Post by unclethirsty » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:28 pm

Anybody tried one of these in this tech yet. http://surfboardagency.com/mccoy-all-round-nugget/. If so what's the verdict.

batoes
charger

Re: surfboard agency boards

Post by batoes » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:58 am

Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:51 am

When I saw they were made in eps I thought it was interesting. I had a look on a website, zak I think, and there is no adjustment made for the eps foam by the looks. So no reduction in thickness etc. I like foam but that just seems way too much, especially considering they're eps. They'd be pretty floaty I imagine.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:37 pm

ive read 3 different reports so far and all are very positive,GM has shaped the plugs slightly thinner than what he puts in his poly boards.this compensates for the extra float of the poxys 3-)

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:56 pm

shaped the plugs? What do you mean - the rails? Or the fin plugs?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:16 pm

GM provides the board designs and they are copied in the Cobra factory

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:20 pm

As opposed to being copied in the GM australian factory ?
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:12 am

surfywurfy wrote:ive read 3 different reports so far and all are very positive,GM has shaped the plugs slightly thinner than what he puts in his poly boards.this compensates for the extra float of the poxys 3-)

Slightly thinner? The ones I looked at were still 3" thick. That's pretty nuts for an eps board surely?

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:07 am

ah! The plugs- the copies, i get it. Yep - 3 inches thick and to the rail was always too much board for me, all the way down to the 5'6 i owned. I can't see too much difference in foil? Maybe this new eps is more like PU?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

unclethirsty
Grommet

Post by unclethirsty » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:09 am

I suppose my main question is, what is the biaxial glass & epoxy like is it "really" stronger & lighter than a normal layup. You would think that if McCoy & the other shapers have had their input into the machining of the blanks they are happy with the results. I gotta admit,in Mccoys case, I wouldn't think one of these boards would last as long as the ones coming out of his factory, but the trade off is a lighter, more bouyant (is that correct) board that you can remove/change fins on & it makes it easier to travel.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:48 pm

http://www.surfindustries.com/blog/2012 ... /.....this spiel points to poxy having plenty more durability

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:51 pm

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:58 pm

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:01 am

Heard good reports about the performance and the durability of these boards.......I know Geoff went to great lengths to get these boards right before he allowed the company to release them. He wasn't satisfied with the first ones they sent him.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:19 pm

One of my pet hates as a construction method used to be epoxy over a polystyrene blank, the weakness of the construction was why builders went to the much more complex vacuum bagged "sandwich".

When surftech brought out their TL2 construction I groaned with disgust. They were around for a few years so I finally bought one thinking they must be OK. They weren't; knee, toe and hand depressions from my very first surf, and yellowing within months.

So when the TSA boards came out I was not impressed. But I was attracted by a reasonably light, 6'6 McCoy with removable fins for $800. Nevertheless, I waited to see if there was any feedback on their durability.

After 6 months or so I hadn't heard anything, bad or good, so I though fcuk it, dents and yellowing are just part of the price I'll have to pay, so I got a McCoy 6'6 in Jan this year. To cut the story short, I now own five; I've been in Indonesia most of this year with them, usually surfing twice a day and taking numerous plane trips.

There is not a single depression or scratch on any of my TSA boards, and they are still so blindingly white that I look (more) like a kook with brand new boards. I'm amazed, especially as as I ride high volume boards and use my knee to duck dive 'em; even my epoxy sandwich boards used to get deck depressions from duck diving and also from careless baggage handlers.

I don't know how they have managed to achieve this durability and don't know if the construction process will continue to produce so durable a product (this is one reason that I bought a pile of them from that particular batch).
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Proven to be a very versatile performer in a wide range of wave conditions from 1′ ~ 8′ all around the surfing world; thicker wider and shorter with more volume and buoyancy than you have had before, easy to paddle and catch waves, easy to control, with more speed than you have had in years! When it starts to barrel, you will be laughing.”
Geoff McCoy

are these like hyptos for baby boomers?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Sounds like surfing Viagara.

Apparently they go surprisingly well in hollow conditions.
Personally I wouldn't be paddling something that thick and wide out into large hollow waves regardless of how it might go if you actually got out the back on it. Definitely has his devotees.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:18 pm

I don't know El Rancho. They seem to be pretty well panned by everyone in the industry, except though, for the people who have actually ridden one. But maybe there is a comparison in that they are both easy to ride and suit a wide range of conditions, albeit by using completely different design features.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan