General snow stuff

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ski resorts in Canada

Post by alakaboo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Yeah, I like Japan too.
Spent a season in Niseko and Hakuba ten years ago
The snow is ridiculous, the food is great, it's relatively cheap, no jet lag, shorter flights...plus they don't have a Christmas premium.

Reason for going to Canada is that my brother will be living over there.

My current suggestion to the family is that we go to Japan and fly the others to us.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:49 pm

brendo wrote:lake louise is really good. big resort, long runs. they even close a few at lunch for an hr and lay down
some fresh cord. the kids will dig it, but u may have to spend a day or 2 on the carpets with them.
my daughter is 6, I got her skiing last yr, she loves it. got her skis and helmet from the US for under 250
delivered. I enjoy riding round with her as much as my mates! and shes no slouch, our last day down, we did close to 6000 vert metres.
Just realised you said metres :shock:

I did 17 000 feet one day and was fairly shattered, not bad for a 6 year old!

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:55 pm

I was surprised as well ala, the trip before with my mate we did 4500 on a good pow day, but there were lifts not showing on the dashboard, the rfid tech still needs tuning, plus we did some hiking. it was spring
when I was with my daughter, so no lift lines, we just did fast laps around front/centre valley together. ordinary runs, but fun with her. I also get to ride a lot more switch, and spend more time buttering.

legion, I spent a month in Canada, didn't find it to expensive. hired a car 800 for month. had on snow accom at Kimberley for 50 a night for 2. paid about 80 max. got rocky mountain passport season pass
for about 600. that got access to I think 9 resorts. the mountain I rate the best, and Canadians didn't even know about it was castle mountain. check it out on web. we were there at end of school hols, there were maybe 100 cars and half dozen buses there for the 2 days we rode. hadn't snowed for a week , but it was windy up top, and it was filling in the higher areas with heaps of windblown. it was really good!

ala, where in hakuba did you ride? im seriously thinking of going late feb. I can get there on points, and found quite a few cheap places to stay. im thinking happo one or hakuba 47. what you reckon?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:15 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:51 pm

We did the 17000 on an old double chair, Brendo, and it was only my wife's third day on a snowboard.
brendo wrote:ala, where in hakuba did you ride? im seriously thinking of going late feb. I can get there on points, and found quite a few cheap places to stay. im thinking happo one or hakuba 47. what you reckon?
I rode most of the resorts in the area, I lived and worked at Happo One for about 10 weeks.
Was travelling with a mate who grew up there and riding with a few pros. Great times.

One is the biggest I think. As long as you get away from the gondola you could get little powder stashes off the side of the runs pretty much all day. Though I gather it is very different these days, when I was there we knew most of the people who ducked ropes or went through trees...there were only 8 of them

Happo One is fairly lax on back/slackcountry except for a few areas with legit avalanche danger and barriers. Don't get multi day passes and get caught in there...
For the expert there is some AMAZING terrain off the top and right of the mountain and some long long runs back to town.
You must know what you are doing and ideally have a local guide. You have to show all your avi gear to get access through the gates and sign something with the police/national parks from memory.
There were only about 3 days while I was there where the avi danger was below "moderate". If you don't know how to dig test pits etc. then forget it. At least 6 died the season I was there due to slides or getting stuck in powder so deep they couldn't get out, they found them in the Spring.
Great tree runs cutting through some of the cat tracks and a few dam walls and natural bowls.

47 and Goryu are really strict on backcountry but they have really good terrain. There is some sort of yellow-armband crew that lets you ride some closed tree zones, you have to do a 2 hr course in Japanese and sign in each day.
We poached a few lines in the trees and got our passes pulled. If you had a few jackets and used the points-passes you could do some great runs but eventually they'd kick you out.
When I was there (2001-2) their park and pipe was rubbish compared to One but I'm sure it's okay now.

Cortina is the most backcountry friendly and if you like steep (40 degree plus) slopes and trees then it's a good place to go especially if there is snow on the weekends as One and 47-Goryu will get slammed.

Can't really remember Iwatake, sorry. I know we went there about a week after a dump and still got freshies but I think it was a bit small and boring.

Echoland area has the most accommodation, food and party options than on mountain. Also a lot cheaper.
Bit easier to get to from the train as well.
There are shuttles to all of the resorts.
Get up early if you ride groomed slopes, Japanese skiers love to turn powder into moguls.
Legion wrote:Check out Nozawa in Japan, 'boo.
Yeah, that is probably where I'd go, or somewhere in Niigata. Though apparently someone mum knows part owns a lodge in Hokkaido.
I speak a little Japanese so that opens up a few more options.

I went to Fernie in 2006, it was still pretty good value back then compared to the other places. Dunno when they changed hands.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:04 pm

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Heading to Nozawa Onsen in late December.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:23 pm

alakaboo wrote:Heading to Nozawa Onsen in late December.
What happened to Canada?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Too far, too expensive, everyone has either been to Japan and loved it or not been and wanted to.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Fair enough.

We're def going back to Japan next year!!!

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:43 pm

Donweather wrote:Fair enough.

We're def going back to Japan next year!!!
care to share some details of your trip don? where u stayed, how it was, which resorts
you rode?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:17 pm

Hakuba - superb quaint little village
Powdersuites - fecking amazing ski accommodation and Mick is one of the nicest blokes I have ever met. Can't rate his accommodation and outstanding friendly service highly enough!!!!
Iimori - Really fun mountain for the family and not overly busy during the week. We skied at another smaller mountain on the weekend just to avoid the crowds and it worked a treat. And I've never skied in sooooo much powder on groomed runs before, and I've been to NZ and Whistler/Blackcomb before.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Donweather wrote:Hakuba - superb quaint little village
Powdersuites - fecking amazing ski accommodation and Mick is one of the nicest blokes I have ever met. Can't rate his accommodation and outstanding friendly service highly enough!!!!
Iimori - Really fun mountain for the family and not overly busy during the week. We skied at another smaller mountain on the weekend just to avoid the crowds and it worked a treat. And I've never skied in sooooo much powder on groomed runs before, and I've been to NZ and Whistler/Blackcomb before.

how old are your kids don? howd they handle the powder? did you cop any rain or warm slushy days? i hear hakuba can be a bit like aus weather wise....I wanna take my daughter over in about 2-3 yrs when shes a bit older and got her skillset more advanced. but in the mean time me and a couple mates will go next winter.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: General snow stuff

Post by alakaboo » Fri May 23, 2014 12:21 pm

So, snowboard boots?
I ditched my 12 yr old Rides and need some new ones.
Won't be taking my gear to Japan but I need boots and a new hard shell.
Haven't bought new gear for 10 yrs or more so I've got no clue.

Seems like the cable tightening stuff is really popular in boots now.
My last boots were really stiff, I'd go for something a bit more comfortable these days as I don't ride much.

I've got wide and high feet. Any recommendations?
How much am I going to have to spend?

I used to like Northwave and Ride boots, are they still any good? Don't normally fit Salomon.

And shells?
Happy to spend up on the shell, was looking at the Helly Hansen Odin.
Replacing a Columbia Titanium Alloy
I prefer the ski/alpine style to the baggy shit that most snowboard brands make.
Can get it cheaper from Sweden or Canada in their sales ATM.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri May 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri May 23, 2014 1:00 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri May 23, 2014 1:37 pm

I've worn Vans for the last couple of years Boo. Super light and comfortable. In fact most comfortable I've had in 15 odd years of boarding. Have the dial and wire combo. Everyones foot is different though I guess. Best to just try each brand cause I find some brands don't feel right for me straight away.