QuikPro Forey

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: QuikPro Forey

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:36 pm

The asp would own your audio files if you record anything.

So you could omit quotes and write observations and opine freely. But the minute you quote from an audio file, the asp -- if they don't like the tone you're portraying -- can tell you to remove it, as they own the surfer's words.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Braithy wrote:, as they own the surfer's words.
\your drunk negro......talk to a copyright lawyer and get back to me
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

bobjs
Harry the Hat

Post by bobjs » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:53 pm

Yeah, seems a bit hypocritical when their major sponsers are spruking a portable camera and portable telecommunications devices

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:28 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Braithy wrote:, as they own the surfer's words.
\your drunk negro......talk to a copyright lawyer and get back to me
I'm not saying its right. I'm telling you what the asp think they're doing.

Audio files, video and stills imagery taken at events is theirs. You are signing the copyright over to them by accepting the media pass.

Their waiver form is a legal document, is it not?
Kunji wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:35 pm

That'd be interesting to test.

It may be written in legalese but I don't think it'd be enforceable in a court of law.
Case law and legislation agrees with me (and Steve) on this. Remember the dispute between Cricket Australia and Channel 9?

Can't see how they can assert copyright over something they don't generate themselves, which is owned and copyrighted by Steve by virtue of creation, particularly a sporting event (not copyright) in a public place, where it is not possible to legally prevent photos from being taken.

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:06 pm

G'day gents -

Sunday and through to early next week looks interesting according to http://www.lajollasurf.org/swpa.html

What do we make of that? :-)(
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Braithy wrote:
Their waiver form is a legal document, is it not?
A legal document is only worth what you are prepared to spend in a court of law enforcing it.

And if contravenes common law and case law precedent then it is not worth the paper it is written on. or cyber-space.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Are you getting a media pass Shep?

Test the theory. Get your pass, take film and video and write something highly opinionated. They're nobody to be scared of in the flesh, I know that first hand ... and if their stuff cant hold up in court. You will neuter them in the public gallery.

Do it for the people.
Kunji wrote:

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:40 pm

And do it in the nude, as a final "F*ck you"
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:57 pm

Braithy wrote: They're nobody to be scared of in the flesh, I know that first hand ...

Braithy wrote:
jimmy wrote:Did anyone think Parko's 10 was overscored?

Not saying it wasn't a good wave but from where I was standing it looked more like a 9 or so. Not bitching just an observation..

Nice to meet you Braithy.. Shame about that handshake of yours though..

Never took you for a wet fish type..
Ha! Yeah, mate I was a stunned mullet.

Security guards had just given me the once over for some ill-advised photo captions they thought I was responsible for. I was getting out onto the sand to process everything.

When I heard someone say my name, I wasn't sure whether to turn around and just start swinging. Next time you can be sure I'll account for myself much better in the shaking hands department.

Good to meet you too. Maybe see you again tomorrow.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:02 pm

as i said before it is a try on and a very lame one at that which exposes the contempt these cnuts have for anyone outside their nest, not to mention the public, GCCC or general media.

However, one thing they are not is stupid. Bully boy bluff is their game and don't even put it past them to kick off the year with this as a stunt designed to draw attention to their powers and that the status quo has changed.

If they floated this out there and nobody had the balls to object they would have a signed contract that would give them powers and could easily be defended in court (especially deep pockets v poor photog). If, as it would appear is the case, the photogs rebel and shit hits the fan, they then simply say "oh shit no we didn't mean it that way" and play the misunderstood card with the effect that all the photos are so relieved that they do exactly what these cnuts want of them. A meted of potentially controlling anyone who does not tow the line in their eyes.

Re copyright, be careful making calls as to who owns what because it is more complex than it appears and basically if one signs or agrees to certain things they may propose, they could trap you. i.e. on what condition/basis/terms are lanyards and passes given out. i think a contract exists if there if offer, acceptance and consideration (or something like that) and taking a pass that allows access to restricted areas, consumption of free food, drink, services or goodies may be the loophole they are looking to exploit by having control or a say over the purported copyright you think you own.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:18 pm

aren't you interested in writing about it this year braithy? your reports last time were well worth a read i thought.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:23 pm

jimmy wrote:
Braithy wrote: They're nobody to be scared of in the flesh, I know that first hand ...

Braithy wrote:
jimmy wrote:Did anyone think Parko's 10 was overscored?

Not saying it wasn't a good wave but from where I was standing it looked more like a 9 or so. Not bitching just an observation..

Nice to meet you Braithy.. Shame about that handshake of yours though..

Never took you for a wet fish type..
Ha! Yeah, mate I was a stunned mullet.

Security guards had just given me the once over for some ill-advised photo captions they thought I was responsible for. I was getting out onto the sand to process everything.

When I heard someone say my name, I wasn't sure whether to turn around and just start swinging. Next time you can be sure I'll account for myself much better in the shaking hands department.

Good to meet you too. Maybe see you again tomorrow.
Not sure of your point. I was ready to go down swinging because they're not very scary.
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:27 pm

Lucky Al wrote:aren't you interested in writing about it this year braithy? your reports last time were well worth a read i thought.

Not sure Al ... We definitely never applied for a media pass, and never will again (I don't think).

Possibly, I might cover Snapper -- very loosely -- as a fly on the wall.
Kunji wrote:

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:31 pm

merkin wrote:Could be time for a recap of last years event...

http://vimeo.com/61786015
just watched that again merkin, great work mate! love how you catch steve making doe eyes at kelly, then ask him afterwards if he got a stiffy!

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:10 pm

:evil:

Never doing that again. fcuking merks talked me into it.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:22 pm

have another go steve! merkin's only got one video on his vimeo page. ham it up this time mate!