Surf Cowards

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Surf Cowards

Post by Kunji » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:06 pm

Mark Morlock was stabbed in the eye after an altercation in the surf at Snapper Rocks. Pic: Luke Marsden.

A MAN faces losing an eye after a surfboard was deliberately speared into his face in a horrific surf rage attack on the Gold Coast.
The victim, Mark Morlock, said it was the ‘most brutal and cowardly thing I’ve seen’ and ‘pure evil’.
Doctors will tomorrow determine if his right eye can be saved.

Mr Morlock, 41, a professional abalone diver and ship’s captain, was surfing popular Gold Coast break Snapper Rocks on Tuesday when the incident happened.

He said a fellow surfer who he unwittingly cut off on a wave at the same break about five months ago confronted him.

“I heard a voice behind me go ‘hey you’ and I’ve turned around and he goes ‘you remember me?’,” Mr Morlock said.

“I said ‘yeah I remember you, what do you want?’. Then he let his board go from between his legs, straight into my face. He said ‘you’re not laughing now, are you mate?’

“Within six seconds of him announcing his presence, he’d done this horrible trick that only a surfer knows but one I thought would never happen to me. It was the most brutal, cowardly thing I’ve ever seen.”

In agony and shock and unable to see, Mr Morlock made it to shore where he was given first-aid by a lifeguard.

Even as he was waiting to be taken to hospital, his attacker wanted to fight him.

“He was hiding in some bushes and came bolting down the stairs wanting to carry it on, with my eye almost hanging out of my head,” he said.

“I said ‘are you out of your mind? I can’t even see you to fight you’,” Mr Morlock said.

He was taken to Tweed Heads Hospital and later transferred to Gold Coast University Hospital where he underwent about 12 hours of microsurgery in a bid to save his eye.

“The doctors told me that if he wasn’t riding a snub-nosed board, it could have been fatal,” he said.

Mr Morlock will find out tomorrow if he loses his sight in the damaged eye.

“It may cost me my livelihood,” he said.

He has not spoken to police but a horrified witness is believed to have reported the incident.

“It’s one of the heaviest things I’ve seen,” one witness told the Sunday Mail.

Snapper Rocks, home of the Quiksilver Pro world surfing championship contest, is one of the world’s most crowded surf breaks and surf rage is rife.

But clashes between surfers usually involve heated exchanges or fisticuffs, with surfboards rarely used as weapons.

“What kind of person carries a grudge like that for five months and then does something as horrible as this to another human being?” Mr Morlock said.

“It’s pure evil.”

Surfers said the attacker was a notorious troublemaker and needed to be stopped before someone was killed.

“The guy’s an aggro serial offender,” one local said.

“There are women and kids who surf out there who don’t need to be exposed to this sort of danger.”
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Surf Cowards

Post by daryl » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:15 pm

Hope he gets jail.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Presumably if he knows who the guy is he will get done for it. Dumbest thing is coming after him again after the act. There goes any "accidental" excuses.

Either that or he hooks up with some abalone fishing mates and feeds him to the abalones.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:17 pm

What a stain on the earth that man is. I hope they name and shame him.
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:07 pm

let that be a lesson

stay away from the super bank. it's scary. tell your friends.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:59 am

Hang on, he hasn't spoken to police?

and the guy hasn't been charged?

something smells like a Courier Mail beat-up to me.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:33 am

I've heard talk of a clown down there confronting a few people in and out of the surf. Sounds like a wacko from what I've heard. So the story may be factual.

Our sea captain friend may not have had a chance to put in an official complaint ... with the surgery taking priority. Can't see the incident ruining his career though ... many a pirate sailed the seven seas with one eye.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:58 am

he had time for an interview and photo session with the press but not to call the cops?

and there must have been hundreds of witnesses.

I don't doubt the incident occurred......
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Its been on ABC radio morning programm this week- first few days. They did interview Mr Morelock and he did say he wasnt going to take it further. A lot of talk back chat about if it was good bad or indifferent - or just par for the course out there. I think they interviewed an ex Snapper Rocks Boardriders Pres for his comments. His comments and most were that it was wrong and sickening and that its a sign of the times (read respect or lack of) sadly.
Dont think its a beat up but dont know the full story myself. There was some thought that out of fear he wasnt gonna call in the cops.

Battery
Grommet

Post by Battery » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:28 pm

"Unwittingly cut off on a wave" makes dropping in sound very civil...

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:42 pm

Letting go a board from between your legs, might's well have pulled a trigger.

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Coops posted this but gone quiet so he must know the guy who took the pic or someone related to this thread must know who this cretin is. Why not at least describe him and what he rides and if he is a local if too worried to name him. For no other reason than to help other avoid a similar fate because maybe just looking at him will trigger his twisted little brain.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Charge him and or hope he gets cancer of the eyes.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:50 pm

according to the book of faces it's now a police matter

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:14 pm

Jorgo wrote:There was some thought that out of fear he wasnt gonna call in the cops.
Sounds cowardly.

Edit: just joking ffs

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:27 am

Animal_Chin wrote:
Jorgo wrote:There was some thought that out of fear he wasnt gonna call in the cops.
Sounds cowardly.

Edit: just joking ffs

now that's gutless
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:28 am

Matticus Finch wrote:
Coops wrote:“Within six seconds of him announcing his presence, he’d done this horrible trick that only a surfer knows but one I thought would never happen to me. It was the most brutal, cowardly thing I’ve ever seen.”
Is this really a thing surfers do? I've never heard of it.

I've been really annoyed a few times by blatant drop ins on my wave of the day, but to hold on to that anger for half a year is incredible. Maybe he'd been out there every day looking for him ever since. I just can't believe they remembered each other. Ughhh.
The wording's wrong (unless you're completely evil), he means the slingshot effect of letting your board go, everyone knows that it happens when you're learning, slippery board gets away from underneath if you're not holding on.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:46 am

Fcuk, guys used to do that a lot. Seldom with such shattering effect.

I don't get it, the person is obviously well known and recognisable, old mate here really should be getting the police on the case. Anyone who thinks a six month old drop-in requires this sort of action has a personality disorder.