Tomo Surfboards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Tomo Surfboards

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Has anyone here ridden any of Dan Tomo's creations?

I'm not considering getting an actual Tomo myself, just very keen on a few of his design theories such as a forward widepoint coming to a wide tail, in a micro modern rockered and foiled package...with wierd bottom contours and jet-fighter style tails....haha :)

I've been mulling over some similar ideas for my next board when my small wave weapon dies, I just haven't surfed anything like it before...

Anyone ridden one or something similar?

http://www.dantomo.com/
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Tomo Surfboards

Post by Trev » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:38 pm

Wild looking stuff Cap.
Interesting theories. Way above my head unfortunately. :oops:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:01 pm

He's surfin USA these days I believe.
This is what the seppo's think of his boards.
http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showfl ... =2&fpart=1
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:38 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:The Tomo Nano is fcuken amazing by the way, best board I've ridden in ages, thruster or quad it's all gold.
So Nick, was it definitely a Nano and not a Vanguard? Can I ask what dimensions you were riding and was it PU or Firewire? Also, I've heard rumours that Tomo's boards are now mass produced/shaped in Thailand? Can anyone confirm or deny? My concern with the Nano is the apparent reduction in volume from what I'm currently riding? Tomo reckons ride around 6 inches shorter than your current HPS. I'm currently riding a 6"1' with around 31.6 ltrs. Tomo would then have me riding a 5"7' (6 inches shorter). I can't find the volume for a 5"7' but based on this 5"9' (28.6 litres) the 5"7' would be even less (27 litres?).

http://www.mitchssurfshop.com/Tomo/Tomo ... _XTR_Clear

That's a significant reduction in volume and hence my concern is paddling/wave catching ability? Is this reduction in volume due to the cutting off of the tail and hence not a major loss in paddling/wave catching ability?

And finally, what fins did you have in it Nick? As both a thruster and quad?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:05 pm

This year I've seen people at 4-6' cloudbreak, 4-6-8' Winki, 4-foot restaurants on small (sub 5'10") FW vanguards.

They seem to go alright . I remember Nev for 45 minutes just got any wave he wanted at 4-6' winki one arvy. Pros were telling him to go in. lol ...
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:42 pm

Donweather wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:The Tomo Nano is fcuken amazing by the way, best board I've ridden in ages, thruster or quad it's all gold.
So Nick, was it definitely a Nano and not a Vanguard? Can I ask what dimensions you were riding and was it PU or Firewire? Also, I've heard rumours that Tomo's boards are now mass produced/shaped in Thailand? Can anyone confirm or deny? My concern with the Nano is the apparent reduction in volume from what I'm currently riding? Tomo reckons ride around 6 inches shorter than your current HPS. I'm currently riding a 6"1' with around 31.6 ltrs. Tomo would then have me riding a 5"7' (6 inches shorter). I can't find the volume for a 5"7' but based on this 5"9' (28.6 litres) the 5"7' would be even less (27 litres?).

That's a significant reduction in volume and hence my concern is paddling/wave catching ability? Is this reduction in volume due to the cutting off of the tail and hence not a major loss in paddling/wave catching ability?

Just a bit of info Don, I'm 6"4 and Tomo suggested a Nano at 6"1 for me and 1/4 inch narrower than my standard shorty , so like anything I guess there's still a definite element of tailoring the board for the individuals height and weight.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:49 am

Donweather wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:My concern with the Nano is the apparent reduction in volume from what I'm currently riding? Tomo reckons ride around 6 inches shorter than your current HPS. I'm currently riding a 6"1' with around 31.6 ltrs. Tomo would then have me riding a 5"7' (6 inches shorter). I can't find the volume for a 5"7' but based on this 5"9' (28.6 litres) the 5"7' would be even less (27 litres?).

This type of board handles volume differently to your typical curvey and rockered shortboard and you get more paddle and lift from a given volume. That means your ideal volume will be below what you're used to (how much is anyones guess but you could go at least 1-2L lower).

What you'll notice with these boards is as the volume lowers you'll notice it paddles a little slower because it sits more underwater, and you might even paddle a little slower from A to B, but when you get near a waves energy it will lift more efficiently and paddle in like a fish. This is the beauty where you can ride a much smaller board than usual, easy to throw around and less board in front of you, be going like clappers and still able to paddle into waves really easily.

Its a bit of a leap of faith because these boards are actually different in terms of volume and what you get for a given volume. Just trust the recommendations of how to modify the dimensions based on your typical all-rounder. This less about the volume itself and more giving the board proportions that suit your body type and surfing skill.

You'll find that the Firewire models are generic and don't offer enough variation in width and thickness to cater to everyone, so more most people that are heavy but short, tall but lite, etc. there will be compromised in the ideal sizing recommendations to find a given volume.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:35 pm

Donweather wrote:

Yes it was a Nano, Firewire, 5'4"x181/4" x 21/4" with a bottom centre stringer of high density foam composite. The volume felt ideal for me, I weigh around 76kg but am v surf/paddle fit. Can't quite recall but I think it was around 25 litres which is a bit less foam than in most of my boards.

I have a FW Vanguard as well, it's 5'3" and feels like maybe it's an inch and a half too long and a bit too much volume.

Firewires are manufactured in Thailand, to me this is a so-what thing, I'm interested in how well a board goes, and I like the Firewire technology in any case.

Fins, both the above boards have five Futures boxes, on the Nano I used Mayhem thrusters and Clay Marzo's five fin set as both thruster and quad, I love Marzo's quad set up for those short planing hulls, the fins have a bit more rake and help to whip out a little more length in turns.

In the Vanguard I've used F4 Black Cat futures as a thruster and Rasta's futures set as a quad, it feels to me like both work OK but the Rastas are a bit upright for a short hull, will prolly try the Marzos in that one too.

I'm gonna get Daniel to make me a board in Feb, something a bit beyond both of these boards, psyched.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:26 pm

[/quote]
Yes it was a Nano, Firewire, 5'4"x181/4" x 21/4" with a bottom centre stringer of high density foam composite. The volume felt ideal for me, I weigh around 76kg but am v surf/paddle fit. Can't quite recall but I think it was around 25 litres which is a bit less foam than in most of my boards.

I have a FW Vanguard as well, it's 5'3" and feels like maybe it's an inch and a half too long and a bit too much volume.

Firewires are manufactured in Thailand, to me this is a so-what thing, I'm interested in how well a board goes, and I like the Firewire technology in any case.

Fins, both the above boards have five Futures boxes, on the Nano I used Mayhem thrusters and Clay Marzo's five fin set as both thruster and quad, I love Marzo's quad set up for those short planing hulls, the fins have a bit more rake and help to whip out a little more length in turns.

In the Vanguard I've used F4 Black Cat futures as a thruster and Rasta's futures set as a quad, it feels to me like both work OK but the Rastas are a bit upright for a short hull, will prolly try the Marzos in that one too.

I'm gonna get Daniel to make me a board in Feb, something a bit beyond both of these boards, psyched.[/quote]

What's your standard shorty dims Nick ? And how vertically challenged are you ?

packa
regular

Post by packa » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:52 am

fongss wrote:The shape looks like a neck beard rip off
The construction tech is ten too twenty years behind the leaders

Froth on
Were can I buy a yoyo :?: one mass produced and made in Taiwan :roll:
I don't understand this put down stuff. Are you a guru board builder?

Or, is this just a tilt for the 'tard title?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:59 am

DV8 wrote: What's your standard shorty dims Nick ? And how vertically challenged are you ?
I'm 5'8" and weigh around 76 kilos, a bit more or less depending on water weight

Surf mostly 5'9" or 5'10" x 185/8" x 25/16" thereabouts, I don't know the volume measurements

These ^^^ are all pretty lifty boards with a lot of concave etc, lift making up for lack of volume.

mrleed

Post by mrleed » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:19 am

Anyone know anything about this board? Model, dimensions etc...?

http://cdn2.theinertia.com/wp-content/u ... 14x400.jpg

I am late to the whole MPH / Tomo thing. Just would like to try this one. I don't surf well enough to represent all the other crazy shapes.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:48 pm

mrleed wrote:Anyone know anything about this board? Model, dimensions etc...?

http://cdn2.theinertia.com/wp-content/u ... 14x400.jpg

I am late to the whole MPH / Tomo thing. Just would like to try this one. I don't surf well enough to represent all the other crazy shapes.
All I know Mr Leeds is it's called the "EVO" as in evolution. Other than that I know nothing.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:44 pm

I see annesley is doing a vanguard ripoff.

http://www.annesleysurfboards.com/ku/

Anyone heard anything or ridden one of these? I've heard these are made in Indo?

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Donweather wrote:I see annesley is doing a vanguard ripoff.

http://www.annesleysurfboards.com/ku/

Anyone heard anything or ridden one of these? I've heard these are made in Indo?
I was under the impression he shaped out of mona vale in Syd .....

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:41 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
DV8 wrote: What's your standard shorty dims Nick ? And how vertically challenged are you ?
I'm 5'8" and weigh around 76 kilos, a bit more or less depending on water weight

Surf mostly 5'9" or 5'10" x 185/8" x 25/16" thereabouts, I don't know the volume measurements

These ^^^ are all pretty lifty boards with a lot of concave etc, lift making up for lack of volume.

Some footage of Nicks fling with the NANO in 2014 ASL board testing

http://vimeo.com/83678528

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:22 am

Watched the whole board test video on vimeo. That balsa board looked like a dog.
The Burton looked interesting. Trouble comes when trying to convert to larger dimensions for older, slower surfers :roll: :roll:

Whats your attitude to ears tucked in to caps?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:23 pm