review of Mccoy Astron Zot

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Re: review of Mccoy Astron Zot

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:22 pm

From the first surf I placed it at 18.5 cms up from the tail (measured from trailing edge) as per McCoy recommendation on website.
Moved it up 1/2" for a surf tomorrow.
Looking at my fin it looks like it's an orphan.
The area and curve into the fin tip makes it look like a mixture of the gullwing No 2 (0riginal) and the No 3 (extended tip).
Would like to have a No 2 with the new ball bearing system in the base.
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:22 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:There's no zot action on video yet.
Come on zotaphile's pony up. :)
Ahem.... :wink:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:30 am

I used to get some good shots of myself surfing from one of the locals who would snap pics when the waves were good.
Video wasn't his forte though.
Sadly though he passed away from skin cancer.
I know one thing after two days of surfing the zot with 3 plus hour sessions all the muscles in my thighs were sore.
It's either from a lot of compression/extension in turns or too long in a stink bug stance while going straight!? :lol:

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:33 am

I thought that it was obligatory to wear a gath helmet when riding a McCoy,
Strap a go pro on :-D-:
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

nawgy1979

Post by nawgy1979 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Should I sell a Nugget to fund a Zap or will I regret it ?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:27 am

Depends.
All your nuggets are longer than any zap you'd get correct?
Since zaps go up to 6'4".
I had a 6'4" zap (20.5" x 3") and I'm 92 kgs and 50yrs.
My 6' x 22" x 3" zot floats me better and catches waves easier.
The whole thing about a zap is to keep busy with it turning rail to rail and surfing top to bottom.
Funnily enough like the zot.
I just think the zot is a much more user friendly planshape and really that's Geoff's mission. Supportive surboards in a neutral handling package.
Don't forget zaps started out as singles.
Back then he was was taking the concept of wide point back/ no nose to the extreme.
The zot would appear to be a moderation of the zap lineage.
So if you like the feel/ride of the zot get another zot and you have go as short as you think you can go to maintain the amount of floatation/paddleability you will be comfortable with and you get less foam which is going to loosen up the ride.
A short zot will feel like a whole different board.
The planshape will have more curve in proportion to its length compared to a longer zot which only becomes incrementally wider I reckon.
The zap was too much of a wtf performance with too infrequent flashes of omg!

nawgy1979

Post by nawgy1979 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:51 pm

Yeah Cuttie you are right about my nugget - well remembered.

My sizing is a little arse about face as the Nugget is 6'6 and the Zot 6'4 and I'm looking at a 6'0 Zap.
I could do with trade all in and starting again but there are not many McCoys left here in the UK.

The only smaller Zot's I can get are 5'10 which has just sold and that now leaves a 5'6 which I am toying with after your comments but not sure if its too small for me at 5'10 & 76kg, although lots of guys ride boards this small with much less thickness and width so I gues its possible.

I have been convincing myself in keeping the Nugget as a step up board.

......or keep them all and pick up a Mandala speed dialler in 5'10 on the cheap (I've never owned a quad) :-o

errr.......

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:36 pm

You may remember Kookster who had lots of McCoys on the Magic seaweed McCoy thread?
He had a thruster 5'6" x 22" (or very close to 22") x 3" which he dubbed the powerball and he's low 80's (weight) and it floated him fine.
The 5'6" would be fine for your weight.
JAM71 was talking to me about zots and would go for a 5'6" and he's heavier than you.
Comes down to proficiency and wave power but even a 6' x 22" x 3" zot floats me inbetween belly button and lowest ribs at 92 kgs and a steamer.
So for you the missed out on a 5'10" is a lot of foam....never mind a 6'4".

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:50 pm

You had the Zot out in any onshore/bumpy stuff at all yet, Pete?

I'm waiting for mine to be delivered (this Friday :-D-: ), but as we get a lot of onshore stuff here in the summer, I was wondering how the Zot would fare....

My old 6ft single allrounder used to buck me off a bit in the lumpy stuff....

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:09 pm

Nothing but fairly glassy waves so far.
Though the SE'rs are supposed to blow this week.
Which means I'll be surfing early with SW'ers hopefully.
I'll be suprised if you don't find the zot to your liking as a part of the quiver.
Lucky you got in on it quick by the sounds of it.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:08 am

Cuttlefish wrote:You may remember Kookster who had lots of McCoys on the Magic seaweed McCoy thread?
He had a thruster 5'6" x 22" (or very close to 22") x 3" which he dubbed the powerball and he's low 80's (weight) and it floated him fine.
The 5'6" would be fine for your weight.
JAM71 was talking to me about zots and would go for a 5'6" and he's heavier than you.
Comes down to proficiency and wave power but even a 6' x 22" x 3" zot floats me inbetween belly button and lowest ribs at 92 kgs and a steamer.
So for you the missed out on a 5'10" is a lot of foam....never mind a 6'4".
Oi! I am 5"10 & 74-75kg thank you very much!!! A 5'6 zot like the one on the McCoy website would float me fine. I wouldn't go any bigger, even then I think that I would struggle to bury the rail in weaker waves (when travelling at slower speeds). For weaker waves, I personally prefer quads. My favourite for the last 6 months has been a CI spermwhale. Really gets in early, a fast glider with mini simmons linage but with shortboard rails & tail. IMO such a board would compliment a McCoy (use the McCoy for punchier waves).

Never seen a mandala quad in the flesh but they look nice on the interweb, another option would be a 5'8-5"10 scorpion

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:02 am

Hey nawgy, which part of the UK do you live in?
The wave types vary greatly, I used to live in SW Cornwall & surfed godrevy, droskyn & porthtowan regularly. If it is still how I remember, porthtowan is zot country whereas the other waves are more gentle rollers.

Also, the tidal range is huge, I can imagine that a zot would suit a lot of Cornish spots on the lower tide whereas the fuller high tide waves would require a flatter rockered board.

Please note: I moved out here 18 years ago so my memory is fuzzy. I was also just a grom riding thrusters from "best ever" with glassed on fins :-D-:

nawgy1979

Post by nawgy1979 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:51 pm

Hi Jam,
Haha - I am based in Cornwall and surf all round, but mainly North Cornwall.
You are right in that the Zot goes well in hollow, sucky, low tide waves but in the fatter waves it does loose speed, but if there is good power to the wave it still goes fine. I tend to ride a mix of hollow waves to some more gentle slopey waves depending as you say which beach I go to.

I would say that we are similair in height/weight so I am really thinking of a smaller zot as Cuttie advises, but there is only a 5'6 left over here so it is between this and a Lazor Zap and I cant help but think that if I get another Zot I will still not have satisfied my Zap lust (we all know what it is like).
Plus my water time seems to be getting less with family commitments and age so I wonder if the 5'6 might be going too extreme. I have a 6'4 Zot and did have a 6'8 Zot but both are too much board for me, although you get used to it. For some reason the 6'8 seemed more manoverable than the 6'4 but that could be becuase I had the 6'8 for longer and in a wider range of surf.

I know this a McCoy thread but seriously my Jim Banks MK3 is such a good board and I usually use that in less hollow waves to compliment the Zot and Nugget in waves with more shape.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:04 pm

You could always re-read the whole MSW McCoy and Swaylocks McCoy threads as they will help you sort out the wheat from the chaff.
There are some nuggets of wisdom in there....pardon the pun.

nawgy1979

Post by nawgy1979 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:13 pm

Yeah - done that many times !

Going by Marc's comments on Swaylocks i'd put myself in the 'middlen' category but I'm sure I could manage the 5'6 :-D-:

" The Astron Zot is a complete design useable from beginner to advanced. If your hot, you surf them small (5'6 - 6'0). If your middlen (like myself) you surf mid size (6'0 -6'6) and a beginner or recreational surfer or a BIG guy would surf the biggins (6'6 - 7'2) . Its a simple equation revolving around experience, skill and body type and available time in the water. "

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:45 am

I wonder if the preferred fin placement could be used as an indication that one might enjoy a smaller or bigger Zot more.

Like this: If you like the fin much further forward than the recommended position (18.5cm from tail), then try a smaller Zot.
If you like the fin further back than the recommended position, try a larger Zot.

nawgy1979

Post by nawgy1979 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Good point.
I have mine as forward as it will go in all waves !

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 pm

nawgy1979 wrote:Good point.
I have mine as forward as it will go in all waves !
So you would maybe benefit from trying a smaller or much smaller Zot (unless my hypothesis is complete hogwash).

I have a 7'1" and a 6'2' Zot. With the 7'1'', I prefer the fin forward in small to medium waves and backwards in 6'+ waves. With the 6'2''Zot, I prefer the fin backward in any wave size so far. I assume a 6'6'' Zot might be just right for me at the moment, but there is some hope for me on the 6'2''.

I think that the easiest rule of thumb (unless you are an exceptional and competitive surfer) is this: Get the biggest Zot that you can still duckdive. More volume is better for almost everyone, except when it makes you pop back up like a cork in front of a falling lip! #*!