Pro Surfing or UFC?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Skipper
Duke Status

Re: Pro Surfing or UFC?

Post by Skipper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:25 am

nuffink ngo wrote: Contest sites + Pro surfers seem to attract photographers.I assume he wasn't being asked to "Vogue It Up".
So why is this guy a voyeur?
Is "Surf Photos Of You" or Don a voyeur?
2... Would "Knuckle Dragger" be an acceptable adjective in this situation?
Got me there Nuff :oops:

Strictly speaking, anyone who was 'witness' was a voyeur.
No doubt the film guy, was his name Lenny Nero by any chance?, had every right to film, as does anyone it seems these strange days
But i was interested in the two forms of Scopophilia at play here - one that objectifies the 'other' (Punchy), actively turning them into mere "objects" ; and another, which involves an empathetic relation with the "other' (Punchy), whereby one passively lives 'through the 'other' (Punchy) as subject'.
I can't for the life of me imagine which was going through Punchy's head at the time,
but as most would be aware, he's well up on his existential theory of that subject/object dichotomy, and no doubt, well versed in Foucault, to understand the notion of the Panopticon at play, down there in the Burleigh shorebreak.
It goes without saying, that the selective deconstruction of the footage, would have weighed heavily on his mind as well.

As far as what Don does? just doing what Don does best...and that's take happy snaps of surfers doing what they love to do.
I have no problem with that.
Should they be caught pissing in their boardshorts, well that's another matter.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:21 am

WANDERER wrote:...he was systematically going about the process by getting the guy in a headlock and pushing him underwater even though the guy was clearly showing signs of submission.
Wanderer, I'd suggest that that IS uncontrolled rage. And I doubt that someone in an uncontrolled rage is stopping to consider the possibility of a pre-existing medical condition that might result in death. Actions have consequences, and a crime committed out of passion is not without them.

I would like to think that I had the self-control to stop myself from actions that could possibly affect me and my family to a greater or lesser degree - a manslaughter charge to a loss of respect from people that matter.

From what I understand, Sunny's not great at controlling aggression so his reaction in this situation was probably always going to be greater than yours or mine.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:38 am

WANDERER wrote:Fair enough comment in regards to instinctively protecting your family, however, .................... you are an idiot if you think there is justification for his actions.
I can't argue with that Wands. Garcia has form. I can't stand the Hawaiian meting out of justice by the protection league thugs on the beach thingy.

I just hope I never find my son being crapped on by some tough guy local. My choice would be to sit down and cry in frustration and anger, or kill him with my bare hands. If I chose the latter, I have no idea how much control I would be able to find. If I saw his eyes bulging and face going blue and ready to pass out, would that be enough to let go of his throat?

If he was unconscious on the sand, would that stop me from stomping on his head.

There aren't many people on this planet less likely to erupt in violence than me, but I don't know the answer to those questions, and that's what scares me.

Maybe the local shouldn't have started it! It was a fuckwit-festival, that's for sure.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:43 am

Here's some shots from the ASL website.. Geez I don't think I'd wanna fcuk with Stone let alone Sunny... :oops:

http://surfinglife.com.au/news/asl-news ... htin-words
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:50 am

oldman wrote:
WANDERER wrote:If I saw his eyes bulging and face going blue and ready to pass out, would that be enough to let go of his throat?

If he was unconscious on the sand, would that stop me from stomping on his head.
A long time ago, old family friends of mine discovered that the deputy-principal at their five-year old's school was taking kids out of school to sexually abuse and film them. The father knew someone who offered to 'hit' him for free. His wife begged him not to telling him that a father in jail is not much of a father, and that his responsibilities lay with the family. Luckily, he didn't go down that path.

A conviction was never recorded.

That kind of self-control says a lot about character as, I guess, does Sunny's lack of say about him.

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:05 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:Here's some shots from the ASL website.. Geez I don't think I'd wanna fcuk with Stone let alone Sunny... :oops:

http://surfinglife.com.au/news/asl-news ... htin-words
The "local" may well have got what he deserved but it hardly looks like Sunny's kid was having any sort of hassle at all. Looks like Jeremy had it pretty well covered until Sunny steps in and makes it a 2 on 1.

What a hero! I'm sure he didn't really need to drown the guy to break up the fight.

How does he get away without being charged when its all on video and photographed, and 2 people have had the crap beaten out of them?

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:35 pm

People get bashed, shot, stabbed, killed! by psychopaths just for being in the wrong place wrong time. Just looking askew at some thug in the street. How many senseless incidents like these seem to occur at frighteningly regular instances. There is absolutely no justification for the ferocity of Garcia's attack! But where do you draw the line.? In expressing,like a few fathers here have, that 'who knows what we're capable of if placed in a similar situation' That, part way illuminates the vengeful nature in all of us. That this involved surfers, going about a purely- for the sake of argument- joyous pastime, and not a heinous premeditated assault by a predator over an innocent, makes this case all the more unfathomable. Notwithstanding surfers reps for such a thing, borne out of frustration at being stymied in their 'noble' pursuit ... Clearly this local should have been the first to 'control his rage'. That it provoked someone who's rage towered over it was just really bad timing. Two out of control meteors clashing headfirst in Burleigh space.
Kind of like all the tut tutting against bouncers when they bounce some 'poor innocent mug'. F'fcuk sake, push a high strung neanderthal's buttons and what do you expect? Innocents don't generally don't come unstuck with them. Most people know better.
Their propensity for violence is a given BUT NOT condoneable!
And until everyone gets a grip on their anger management we just have to be wary.
Just a thought .

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:25 pm

after seeing the ASL website photos, IMHO there is no justification for Sunny to get involved.

looks like the local guy was punching above his weight with Flores, anyway. maybe picked a fight that he should've walked away from.
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:22 pm

ajohnsen wrote:A long time ago, old family friends of mine discovered that the deputy-principal at their five-year old's school was taking kids out of school to sexually abuse and film them............................
Character - not sure. Self control - definitely.

That way crosses the line for me, and I have worried about that in the past. I know that stuff happens, was brought up a catholic, say no more. Again, I really never want to face it.

Nup, I turned the other cheek too many times in my own life, not going to let someone get away with that with my kids. I couldn't face myself, it would ultimately destroy me.

Wouldn't have him clocked by someone else though, it would have to be a personal delivery. Wouldn't have killed him either, I'd want him to live his dick-less ball-less life after I had sliced them off and fed them to the nearest dog. Oh yeah, no mercy, killing too good for dat type.

Just brought up some scary shit that I have been quietly burying for a few years now. Oh well, back to therapy.

Sure, this is not on that level and Garcia lost it.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:44 pm

Nothing that anyone has said since my last post on this topic has changed my mind, in fact seeing the ASL shots has just consolidated my stance, all that other shit you guys are saying is all good and well, I can't say whether I would act any different, but the situations that you guys seem to be painting are not what I see happening in those photos and videos, the difference to me is crystal clear, Sunny is a thug who got involved in a situation in the wrong way to what a responsible adult should, maybe, just maybe if Sunny had been involved before flores i could extend some sense of minimal justification, but that aint the way it went down.

Protect your kids? sure thing.
Run down the beach to an already more than fair altercation and do anything other than attempt to address the situation in a controlled manner, unjustifiable... and that's how every law officer and magistrate in Australia would see it, as should every right minded adult.
I just don't see any real danger to Sunny's kid or Flores for that matter, so what the fuck does have Sunny have to do with it? 100% certifiable idiot in my mostly useless opinion.
And none of this addresses Sunny kicking the guy filming across the pavement.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:08 pm

nuffink ngo wrote:Mr Bubbles & an incompetent police investigation
Ah yes, Mr Bubbles.

That thin blue stupid line. What a Fu##-up.

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:46 pm

I agree with Wands.

Garcia is a fcuken idiot for doing what he did, way beyond what any reasonable person would do.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:30 pm

After seeing the pics, I agree - total over reaction and no excuse to service an already over-serviced situation. I hope the prick gets charged with assault and battery.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:33 pm

oldman wrote:
nuffink ngo wrote:Mr Bubbles & an incompetent police investigation
Ah yes, Mr Bubbles.

That thin blue stupid line. What a Fu##-up.
It wasn't the Mr Bubbles case but it was the first case of its kind in Australia where kids were able to give evidence by video.

Prick still got off. Hope he necked himself.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:57 pm

The "local" (term used loosely in his case) Burleigh water bogan picked the wrong person to drop in on by the sound of things. Maybe if he could control his mouth the whole mess would have been avoided.
Too many surfers ready to play tough guy makes for no stoke in the water.
The UFC was really interesting when it first started and was a contest between any and all martial arts codes and weight classes for a last man standing winner takes the big $'s contest.
Skinny Graice (Jui jitsu) beat the best karate, kung fu, wrestling and boxing fighters of hugely different weight divisions.
Now it's a blood-soaked, grappling, bashfest with little variation.
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Kinda happened to me last week at Maroubra.

I blew a take off and went over a big local. Totally my fcuk up. I was indecisive in a situation and stuffed up. He said he would, 'drive me'. I resisted the temptation to tell him I was okay, that I had a car. I also resisted pointing out that he was twice my size and half my age and that 'driving me' was like shooting fish in a barrel - with a blunderbuss.

It was all so very unattractive and unnecessary.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:19 am

Going by a couple of those ASL pics, the Burleigh guy's quite possibly laid a couple of decent ones on Flores. Maybe Garcia was protecting him?

And Olds, your Charles Bronson side is showing. :wink:

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Karlos wrote:Going by a couple of those ASL pics, the Burleigh guy's quite possibly laid a couple of decent ones on Flores. Maybe Garcia was protecting him?
Possibly, but I agree with Wands & co that Garcia should be charged for needless involvement and what seems to be the use of unnecessary force.

However, it would be nice to see the whole sequence of photos though to make a fully informed comment. Anyone know where we can see the full sequence or video :?: