The Floods

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Re: The Floods

Post by oldman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:23 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote::roll: ...told gillards/labors plan is a levy ( they have soooooooooooo many words that all mean TAX) of $15 per week per wage earner.
Yep, you'll find that Peter Costello did that a number of times, if the memory is still working.

Costello was the Treasurer for 11 years, just in case you (conveniently) forgot.
mustkillmulloway wrote:and like where was the drought levy last ten years :?:

ohhh...that didn't effect city folk...only country folk
Country folk affected by the drought have been propped up with government grants and special payments the entire time mkm.

They don't need to include a special levy for the farmers. It's built into the normal budget parameters. If it rains, we pay the farmers, if it doesn't rain, we pay the farmers.

As Damage would say, :|
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:32 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote::roll: ...told gillards/labors plan is a levy ( they have soooooooooooo many words that all mean TAX) of $15 per week per wage earner
Cough...Liberal Gun Buy-back Levy...Cough

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:24 pm

^^^^ Fcukin A. :lol: :lol:

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:25 am

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:37 pm

Looks like yet again it's the new south welshman who will be forking out the most to repair infrastructure for the tards and bevans to the north and south, already our GST heads north over the border, now we have to pay extra tax for these bastards, all the while NSW dwindles and rots - it's time for the Republic - the Republic of NSW - civil war, you heard it here first.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:59 pm

watch this set the labor lovers off on here :lol: :arrow:

“In mid 2006 then Premier Peter Beattie promised to build a series of cyclone shelters between Bundaberg and the Torres Strait, capable of withstanding 300 kilometre an hour winds.

“I understand only one has been completed at Innisfail. I am calling on the Government to explain to the people of North Queensland what happened to the rest of the promised series of cyclone shelters and to provide reasons as to why they were not built when the former Premier himself said that it was inevitable that another Category 5 cyclone as powerful as Larry would hit the Queensland Coast in the next 10 years.

“It’s been five years, the Government should account to the people on its lack of action"

labor.....is there anything it can't plan for or budget it doesn't blow :?:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:13 pm

^Well that would just be defending the indefensible you myopic scallywag. :D

Heard this morning that residents of Palm Island were just left to fend for themselves.

If true, it's uglier than all the promised-but-unbuilt cyclone shelters and flood protection put together.

Anyone know?

(Or is my geography a bit average?)

:|

PS: Hey just ticked over the 2K mark. :D

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:38 pm

Damage wrote:Heard this morning that residents of Palm Island were just left to fend for themselves.

If true, it's uglier than all the promised-but-unbuilt cyclone shelters and flood protection put together.

Anyone know?
You heard right .......... :wink:

Plus just on the flood levy it has more to do with Labor trying to win back voters in Qld.

Yeah Gillard and Swan talk about $5.4 billion need to rebuild Qld over 3 years now that's around $1.8 billion a year which isn't that much.

Qld annual GDP is around $1400 billion (the budget’s annual revenue collections total $314 billion). the floods are to have affected .05% of that but ....... Most of the temporary loss of production will be incurred by the Bowen Basin coal miners. But, though it won’t show up directly in GDP, their revenue losses will be offset to some extent by the higher prices they’ll be getting as a consequence of the global market’s reaction to the disruption to supply. Qld Rail just had a float to improve infer-structure, any rebuilding will carry GST plus taxes on wages. A lot will have insurance cover approved.

And despite all the fuss the media have been making over higher fruit and vegetable prices, Treasury’s best guess is that this will cause a spike of just 0.25 percentage points in the consumer price index for the March quarter, with prices falling back in subsequent quarters.

So the floods do precious little to change the previous reality that, with unemployment down to 5 per cent and a mining investment boom on the way, the economy is close to its capacity constraint and will soon need to be restrained by higher interest rates.

So the only real problem is they have no banana's ..... :lol:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:40 pm

Damage wrote:^Well that would just be defending the indefensible you myopic scallywag. :D

Heard this morning that residents of Palm Island were just left to fend for themselves.

Anyone know?

(Or is my geography a bit average?)

:|

PS: Hey just ticked over the 2K mark. :D
I saw where this was a decision made by Palm Island itself as they had already got everything in place. Not sure whether this is true or "spin" but I'm pretty sure I saw anelder on Palm Island saying they wanted it this way. Could stand corrected though if I've got it wrong.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:20 pm

This one's for Fong.
Wivenhoe at 197% capacity - recently :shock:
Wivenhoe at 197%.jpg
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:16 pm

:shock: Trev! That's crazy... just think, we were milimetres away from that badboy bursting plugs...
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:24 am

The fact that the majority of Australians are not only opposed to a flood levy, but down right hostile towards it - even going so far as saying that they'll never give to a charity again (???) - just goes to show that the idea of mateship and egalitarianism in Australia is a myth.

We are not the people we purport to be. We are small and disappointing. Even the RS poll showed that the majority of members are opposed.

Tony Abbott's comment, 'Australians help mates, they don't tax them" is hideous in its obvious electioneering. Unfortunately, he is probably the PM that we have demonstrated as being the most appropriate for who we are as a people.

Remember, donations go to individuals. Money raised from the levy goes to infrastructure.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:56 am

ajohnsen wrote:The fact that the majority of Australians are not only opposed to a flood levy, but down right hostile towards it - even going so far as saying that they'll never give to a charity again (???) - just goes to show that the idea of mateship and egalitarianism in Australia is a myth.

We are not the people we purport to be. We are small and disappointing. Even the RS poll showed that the majority of members are opposed.

Tony Abbott's comment, 'Australians help mates, they don't tax them" is hideous in its obvious electioneering. Unfortunately, he is probably the PM that we have demonstrated as being the most appropriate for who we are as a people.

Remember, donations go to individuals. Money raised from the levy goes to infrastructure.

AJ I think your last line negates your preceding argument. The fact is, people are opposed to being forced to contribute to infrastructure replacement, not donating to help victims.

There is also some (repeat "some") merit in the suggestion we should hold back on overseas aid until we get back on our feet. That's not being selfish, it's putting our money where it can do the most good long term. ie Get Australia back to full production and economic strength as quickly as possible, then we are in a position to re-instate overseas aid.

And this, even going so far as saying that they'll never give to a charity again (???)
I sure haven't heard anyone saying that, even on all the endless interviews on television. I would suggest it was just one disgruntled person who probably never has donated to a charity anyway.
Beanpole

Skipper

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:49 am

AJ is right i reckon.

As well as all the good, the flood situation has also exposed a selfish and mean underbelly possessed by an all-too-large proportion of the oz community.

To suggest that the people with just about the highest living standards in the world cannot afford the relatively meagre contribution to re-build some roads, bridges and towns for what has been a state-wide-once-in-recent-living-memory natural event I think is strethching it.

Lets not forget we are the biggest gamblers in the world per capita (or were until recently), in the handful for top alcohol consumers and have amongst the highest personal debt ratios in the western world, just to name a few.

To suggest we can't afford to pull our belt in a notch for a year or so is ludicrous.

:D

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:19 am

TrevG wrote: And this, even going so far as saying that they'll never give to a charity again (???)
I sure haven't heard anyone saying that, even on all the endless interviews on television. I would suggest it was just one disgruntled person who probably never has donated to a charity anyway.

i have heard it several times sadly trev, i, would prefer support the red cross or salvos than the bloody goverment ...at least you know the money will go people who need it :idea:

amazing they just discovered best part a million dollars left over from donations too help people in cyclone larry :shock: ...it's ok...annas going redirect these "missing funds"now help the flood victims. when u donate too the goverment, u have no idea where or even if your moneys going be used :!:

on the levy, i know several...very rich people ( whom i work for), who had power cut too farms and there weekend units in brisbane....these are people on mill plus salarys a year

they get out paying as they where effected ( affected:?:) ....what> the biggest drama for them was the pool over flowed and the hired help didn't come and vacunm :!: ...yet i'm expected pay the levy? someone explain how that works for me :?

p.s and given we can budget for a ten year war in afgan and billions each year o/s aid....and that floods and cyclones are nothin new too oz....why hasn't the goverment got money put aside too budget for natural diasters in our own country :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:59 am

ajohnsen wrote:The fact that the majority of Australians are not only opposed to a flood levy, but down right hostile towards it - even going so far as saying that they'll never give to a charity again (???) - just goes to show that the idea of mateship and egalitarianism in Australia is a myth.
Always has been a myth and no different to any other country.

A good example is our military history and the politics and troop moral "stories" you hear about (and unions going on strike using troops as leverage). We're the same ol country, nothings changed.

The fact i have to pay a levy (forced), means i will not donate blindly. If a specific country town needed coin for a particular family etc, i'd definitelt think about it, but not BNE.

If SYD harbour flooded and the likes of Mosman and Double Bay flooded, not sure how many volunteers you'd get in SYD to help the clean up.
If it feels good, do it.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:07 pm

TrevG wrote:AJ I think your last line negates your preceding argument. The fact is, people are opposed to being forced to contribute to infrastructure replacement, not donating to help victims.
Trev, I'm a little slow in this heat: how did I invalidate my own comments?

The way I see it, replacing infrastructure, that is needed and utilised by the people who also lost their personal possessions, is just as important. It's just that the donations alone wouldn't go to covering both infrastructure replacement and helping individuals with their personal situation.

Of course, Gina "I Did It All On My Own" Rinehart could put the whole lot on her Platinum Amex.
mustkillmulloway wrote:they get out paying as they where effected ( affected:?:) ....what> the biggest drama for them was the pool over flowed and the hired help didn't come and vacunm :!: ...yet i'm expected pay the levy? someone explain how that works for me :?
MKM, I don't disagree with you on that but, like anything that is implemented on such a large scale, in such a short amount of time, it's probably easier to apply it broadly. Once you start means testing etc. you open a giant can of worms - one which Tony Abbott would be onto like a maggot on a corpse.

the trout
Grommet

Post by the trout » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:01 pm

you labour lovers should all go round the back and try to scrape that union delegate out of your green arses