Gibber's compsand build thread.

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

tiger
barnacle

Re: Gibber's compsand build thread.

Post by tiger » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:02 pm

Been strapped for time lately, but got a little progress on the build. Rails have been stuck on and roughed. Stuck a little tail block on it, next step is to put high density foam inserts into the board, where the fin plugs and leggy plug will be. Then tidy up ready for glassing. Did I mention this is an extremely procedure heavy way of making surfboards? :roll: :lol:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:07 am

its looking bloody good tim, really good. :D
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:20 pm

I agree. The shape and outline look sensational. Looks like it's got a pretty impressive rocker so would be more suited to steeper, hollower, faster waves?

Would hate to think how much it would cost to actually build a board like this taking into consideration your hourly rate!!!

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:22 pm

tiger wrote:Stuck a little tail block on it
Can I ask what's this for?

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:06 pm

Thanks lads. Don The tailblock is part of the perimeter. Unless the board is a narrow pin tail, it is very difficult to get the railbands to meet. You can see it's easy to get them to meet at the nose. This board has a wideish rounded square tail, so you can't bend the rail around the corners, it's easier to just saw it off flush and add a tail block.

The tail block is divinycell, basically the same as the skins. I've only got little scraps of it, otherwise if I had a big sheet, I woulda used it for the rails, cos of it's higher density. I'll post a pic when I've got it fully shaped and it should all become clearer.

The rocker is actually pretty std. Just hard to take pics, especially in close proximity they get very distorted.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:28 am

Looks like it is progressing very well T-Tiger. Now you know hard it must be for the likes of Firewire, Bert, Josh, et al, to make a decent return. Hope it is worth it for yourself and Gibber.

This product have a new name? Elixir Lite :wink:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:13 pm

the rails look have a lovely line too them 8)

whats doing spray wise :?:

i'd go red and green personaly :idea: :arrow: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:16 pm

Hey Ric. Especially given the degree of detail, and technique, not to mention artwork that someone like Speedneedle puts into his boards. I wouldn't expect any change outa $1200, and he woulda earnt every cent.

But hey, there's always someone out there willing to do boards dirt cheap. And with the world becoming a smaller marketplace, things aint gunna change. Surfboard makers will continue to make SFA.

I'm doing this purely for the fun of it. I just love making stuff, especially surfboards.

Fong, I will do some kind of artwork on this one. I left mine au natural. Not sure what I'll do yet, I usually just let inspiration strike as I go. perhaps a big red V :P

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:16 pm

i'd prefer a maroon and white colour scheme thanks... bloody dragon supporter.

what ever you do, don't do flames please...my gun has a flame spray and its not really my cuppa

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:38 am

K mate, pink flames it is.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:52 am

tiger wrote:K mate, pink flames it is.
:lol: and a frangipani for NC

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:11 am

pink flames fading into a southern cross made up of frangipani flowers
i cannot wait!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:29 am

hey tiger, where is this up to mate, has it been tested yet, what was it like, Ive been waiting for you to reply or add to this but nothing added for a while now

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Tiges is without internet at the moment (well its intermittent or something...)
I had a look at the newy yesterday in pre sand form and it surely is a light little pearler!
Shape is perfect for me only thing is it may be to thin as i've stacked on about 7kegs since we first started talking about the board.
Tim's doing an amazing job on her, typical really seeing as he is a pedantic perfectionist bastard!!!
So no test report yet digger, sorry. Will have to wait a little yet and in all seriousness you can't rush a master.

If you are keen to try one out Timmy has one that he made himself which i'm sure he'd be happy to give you a go on. Reckon you'll be hooked if you like light weight and hardness in your boards, as for the flex, well i can't say yet but i trust him and what he does so i gather it'll be great.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:51 pm

hey tiger, did you see the free advertising you go in the local paper, the devolpment guy who was a multi millionare who went bust was photographed at the beach with one of your boards, a large photo too, there is a bit of a story on him. The board is shown very clearly with your logo proudly showing, hey any advertising is good advertising :lol: :lol:

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:41 pm

Sorry to Digg's and co. Had a hectic start to the year, with a house move and plenty of other distractions. Finally got around to finishing Gaz's board, at least it's had plenty of cure time :wink: :mrgreen: .

It's just a regular shape, with a little more area. 6'2" X 19 1/4" X 2 3/16", Single concave. Nothing out of the norm shapewise. But that was the idea, so we could compare the different tech's/materials. I haven't weighed it yet, but she be light :!:

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:00 am

:)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:25 am

tiger, that is so pretty, love the spray........... Cant wait for the ride report