The Floods

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

The Floods

Post by Kunji » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:15 pm

Geeez, this really is very serious. I was speaking to a client up in Brisbane who is an amateur meteorologist, she says that the last time she saw the system thats over there now which coincided with the same system up the NE top end of Oz was in 1975. The result flooded Brisbane.

Also, how does Toowoomba flood? :?
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: The Floods

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Coops@DY wrote:
Also, how does Toowoomba flood? :?
rain falls from sky :roll:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:35 pm

It was '74 Coops and yes, it' spretty serious right now.
They're predicting on Thursday the Brisbane River will exceed its levels in '74.
I'm stuck in Brisbane with the road home to the Sunshine Coast cut in several places but most importantly, just north of Caboolture and also at the Caloundra turnoff.

Here's a link to some footage of the Toowomba problems.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/fl ... 5985436806

As to how it happens, I don't understand it either. There's not enough catchment area on the western side of the range top. You would think. :oops: But there obviously is.

Fluffy, are you OK?
Tim and Tim???
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:05 pm

TrevG wrote:It was '74 Coops and yes, it' spretty serious right now.
They're predicting on Thursday the Brisbane River will exceed its levels in '74.
I'm stuck in Brisbane with the road home to the Sunshine Coast cut in several places but most importantly, just north of Caboolture and also at the Caloundra turnoff.

As to how it happens, I don't understand it either. There's not enough catchment area on the western side of the range top. You would think. :oops: But there obviously is.

Fluffy, are you OK?
Tim and Tim???
Trev..

Fluffy will never be OK. :D

And as for Tim Fong I know that he is cut off from the world cause he said he was on FB..

Pretty much a normal day for those two.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:25 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:
TrevG wrote:It was '74 Coops and yes, it' spretty serious right now.

Fluffy, are you OK?
Tim and Tim???
Trev..

Fluffy will never be OK. :D

And as for Tim Fong I know that he is cut off from the world cause he said he was on FB..

Pretty much a normal day for those two.
Sigh..........

There's another Tim on here - he lives on the shores of Lake McDonald, near Cooroy. Hope he's OK too.
And Fong's house should be OK but there's a lot of flooding not far away.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:25 pm

merkin wrote:I wanted to help with the floods in Queensland... but my hose only reaches down to the back fence.

:oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:27 pm

And Digger. Hope he's OK too.
Beanpole

Skipper

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:29 pm

TrevG wrote:As to how it happens, I don't understand it either. There's not enough catchment area on the western side of the range top. You would think. :oops: But there obviously is.
Apparently up to 150mm of rain fell over the Toowoomba catchment in 30 minutes yesterday. Now normally that wouldn't have expected to cause the devastation that it did, however given that the ground is over-saturated at the moment (much much like 1974 pre-flood) that means that 100%+ of the rainfall turns to runoff hence an amazing amount of water flowed through the main streets of Toowoomba (who ever thought to build a city in a creek/gully should be shot). This then flowed south through murphys creek, picking up more water before then turning eastwards and going down one rather large waterslide (known as the great dividing range). This of course meant the water grew some incredible velocity after dropping several hundred metres, which then in turn caused the catastrophic flows through Helidon where the majority of lives/houses/damage was done.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:41 pm

Pretty fair wrap up Don, except that Murphy's Creek is northeast of Toowoomba. Withcott and Helidon are east of Toowoomba and at the bottom of the range.
I've had a few people tell me today Toowoomba is in a depression or on a creek bed but i used to know it pretty well and the ground flows pretty evenly down to the west form the top of the range. (And almost every town/city I know is built along a waterway 8) ).I reckon you're right about the downpour though. If it fell just north of the town towards Crow Nest and above Murphy's Creek I can see how it happened. i can't understand how the water from Toowoomba got up and over the range though. Perhaps there were two flows, one through Toowoomba and one east of the watershed and down the range.
Have to dig out my old army survey maps and check out the lie of the land. Might be interesting.
Beanpole

Skipper

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:41 pm

TrevG wrote:
Fluffy, are you OK?
Tim and Tim???
All good hear Trev, Thursday's when it will get interesting. Still, I don't think I will cop much where I am. If you're stuck in Brissy and you need anything let me know.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:42 pm

i'm fine...in fact...points have never been so uncrowded 8) :arrow:

last i txt tiger....his fine as well

digger has a snake drama in his backyard tho :shock:

it's rain...it will stop...i feel for those who have cop it big time

i'm also upset about losing a few crab traps :cry:

suxs big time for local bussiness now tho....i hope something can be done save them....and thats not from rising waters but wolf at the door

off topic
:arrow: "A leading weather expert claims technology is available to predict a flash flood similar to the one that devastated Toowoomba last night.

Professor Roger Stone, who is the Director of the Australian Centre for Sustainable Catchments and the chairman of UN Commission for Agricultural Meteorology, urged Australia to invest in the storm technology because Australia's weather "is only going to get more extreme in the future".

end quote

is prof stone chasing his 2 seconds glory or is he for real :?:
p.s i'm trying figure how rain in montville flows into somerset as reported :shock: ...bloody queensland...water runs up hills :?
Last edited by mustkillmulloway on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:46 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:
off topic
:arrow: "A leading weather expert claims technology is available to predict a flash flood similar to the one that devastated Toowoomba last night.

Professor Roger Stone, who is the Director of the Australian Centre for Sustainable Catchments and the chairman of UN Commission for Agricultural Meteorology, urged Australia to invest in the storm technology because Australia's weather "is only going to get more extreme in the future".

end quote

is prof stone chasing his 2 seconds glory or is he for real :?:
Glad you guys are OK. Thanks Fong.
Re the above "prof", if a politician made a comment along those lines he'd be accused of poiltical point scoring.
Beanpole

Skipper

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:56 pm

i'm a bit more concerned about friends and family in yamba

graftons going under...and that travel down stream

mind u....i really hope brisbane is spared the worst too

it's really hard believe some the reports/ models

i mean they have had years plan for this

:idea:

p.s cairns is f.ucked too last i talk with family...but no one give a shit about them now...they may as well be a different country :cry:

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Shiitte, I hope you blokes up north are okay.
Yamba gets heaps of floods but seems to cope - still, here's hoping MP and family are good.
Digger and the sunny coast crew - hope you are well - the best cure for a snake is a shovel, head region and if you have to, a couple down the body as well.
Not good at all.
Hope you come through it okay.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:23 pm

I spoke to a mate of mine in Toowoomba earlier.. He was in the middle of it all yesterday..

He has lost a fair bit but had the brains and access to technology to evacuate when he needed to..

His comment to me was "I'll be alright mate. I'm not in Bangladesh"

My point being. It is bad. Really Bad. But worse things have happened in AUS and will continue to.

I just wonder how much of this is about votes and ratings?
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:55 pm

It's alll very sad stuff when lives are lost.

The media are having frenzy with this and as we're headlong into the 21C and then some, they've had a fair bit of practice covering these sorts of events worldwide.

A very disturbing bit of vision on the evening news ealier tnight of a family of 3 clinging desperately to their car shot from chopper I assumed above them but unable to help and tragically they became 3 of the scores of lives lost so far.

But fcuk em and their cannibalistic appetite for a story.
And it goes without saying, fcuk us too, for devouring the bones.

I can't begin to describe how I feel listening to the PM, ours and Qld's premiers too. Kind a just feel like slapping the three of them and saying quit the gibber jabber and just fcuken do something with heart and meaning.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:26 pm

skipper wrote:It's alll very sad stuff when lives are lost.

The media are having frenzy with this and as we're headlong into the 21C and then some, they've had a fair bit of practice covering these sorts of events worldwide.

A very disturbing bit of vision on the evening news ealier tnight of a family of 3 clinging desperately to their car shot from chopper I assumed above them but unable to help and tragically they became 3 of the scores of lives lost so far.

But fcuk em and their cannibalistic appetite for a story.
And it goes without saying, fcuk us too, for devouring the bones.

I can't begin to describe how I feel listening to the PM, ours and Qld's premiers too. Kind a just feel like slapping the three of them and saying quit the gibber jabber and just fcuken do something with heart and meaning.
This a fu.cking million.

Water was close to coming in the house today but receded quickly as soon as the rain stopped.

Ive got a few mates caught in brisbane as the highways are closed around the Pine Rivers bridge, Morayfield and Caboolture