Glassing Carbon Rails

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Glassing Carbon Rails

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:40 pm

don't know anything about the science, but i used to race kayaks, and the paddles we used were carbon fibre.
they used to lose their 'twang' after about 2 seasons of full on use. i.e.7+kms per day, 7 days a week.
but it was only noticeable on the ones over 85% carbon (rest fibreglass i think?), and only if you were really trying to get the most out of the stroke.
the boats had more fibreglass than carbon, they seemed to last a bit longer, but they weren't stressed the same way.
NC might know, think his racing boards/skis are carbon?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:24 am

feraldave wrote:Any one know the effects of UV on carbon.. And how long it's going to retain it's properties for in the sunlight?
Biggest issue would be the effect on the resin system not the carbon fibre itself, no?

:idea: black paint :D

huie
Local

Post by huie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:53 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
feraldave wrote:Any one know the effects of UV on carbon.. And how long it's going to retain it's properties for in the sunlight?
Biggest issue would be the effect on the resin system not the carbon fibre itself, no?

:idea: black paint :D
hey ric how are you :)

hows that white stuff standing up :idea:

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:23 pm

Does'nt Hayden Cox have a patent on this one guy's?

Legalities.......... :?: :?: :?:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:29 am

finally got my stingerless carbon railed board ...happy to post pics to you Kunho but will do via PM ( sick of whingers saying I abuse the forums )...

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:12 am

eMpowered wrote:Does'nt Hayden Cox have a patent on this one guy's?

Legalities.......... :?: :?: :?:
Too many variables I would think, eMp. Like most patents, a slight variation is enough. Doubt he would have been the first to use carbon on rails anyway and with all due respect to him they are not what I consider to be a viable solution unless you want to pay big $s for a short term proposition.

Heard a funny one the other day from an industry source relating to Hayden’s patent... obviously won't name but there was reference to a large overseas manufacturer being made made aware of Hayden’s FF patent by an Australian company representative who supplies the OS company with hardware. Their response, “oh, and does he have a lot of money?” In other words they couldn’t give a fig.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:26 am

huie wrote: hey ric how are you :)
Wife gone, cat gone, house gone, well almost, out by the end of this week... to somewhere :shock: looks like closer to the beach and schmoozing around Dee Why beachfront. And an overseas surfing holiday to recharge for the next phase of life, now where should I go? :D
huie wrote: hows that white stuff standing up :idea:
Got the quad back from Iggy, scraped the wax off, hardly a mark on it but probably needs to be lighter for high performance boards.

Planning my next longboard with it, perhaps in conjunction with another cloth people wouldn’t normally want to spend the money on, but so far undecided.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:29 pm

pridmore wrote:finally got my stingerless carbon railed board ...happy to post pics to you Kunho but will do via PM ( sick of whingers saying I abuse the forums )...
Mark a few people on your mailing list might be interested in pics of it too. *hint* *hint* :wink: :)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:28 pm

done.... :wink: 8)

huie
Local

Post by huie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:48 pm

Wife gone, cat gone, house gone, well almost, out by the end of this week... to somewhere :shock: looks like closer to the beach and schmoozing around Dee Why beachfront. And an overseas surfing holiday to recharge for the next phase of life, now where should I go? :D
fark thats crapp look after yslf
dont look back

cheers huie

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Go the BEARS!
Last edited by munch on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:16 am

ric.....i got nothin

offer always up for u come stay :idea: ( hey...honest) pick u up from the airport.

u might have share the camper tariler with mr downing one day

but wats the point owning not see it used :idea:

all good...noosas like...got that shaping buz

if u stuck...just book a flight...stay as long little u like

if u gotta rebuild...man...it's open for ya mate,,,,no questions asked
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

huie
Local

Post by huie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:00 am

thats right invite him into the cougar pit

poor bugger l f###k himself silly :wink:

but then there s those little peelers of the points a magic day makes it all worthwhile :)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:25 pm

my little carbon 5'11 is going awesome, really enjoying the different flex, super fun, definitely doin more....only 1 x 4 deck with patches and holding up extremely well....was left unsanded for a long time, one of the strongest boards I have ever had for this glassing.....and weight is great...until its 25 knots westerly.... 8)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:10 pm

pridmore wrote:my little carbon 5'11 is going awesome, really enjoying the different flex, super fun, definitely doin more....only 1 x 4 deck with patches and holding up extremely well....was left unsanded for a long time, one of the strongest boards I have ever had for this glassing.....and weight is great...until its 25 knots westerly.... 8)

jeez mark Im bummed you feel you cant post pitures, I loved lookin at your stuff, stuff mate, keep postin_ I love hearin_ of your ideas and you _ot me excited to try to hack one out myself. If you still feel that way could you pm some pics mate as would love to hear what you are up to and what your thinkin about with your shapin_

Ric Im really sorry to hear the crap thats happenin_ mate, as fon_ said plenty of room up here with the fon_ettes since the have the trailer camper. Love to have a surf with you at the points or out at the island, me and tim have been tryin_ to catch that for a while mate. Heads up mate and hope all _oes well and if you do come up I will have to shout you a beer.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Mark, we need more pics- not less! :roll:
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

RichQ
regular

Post by RichQ » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Hey Fong, The Ric dont go right,fyi, but he is the kind of guy that would go to Noosa just to say g'day & hang out with you. An extrodinary human! Much repect for Mr Vidal.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:26 pm

RichQ wrote:Hey Fong, The Ric dont go right,fyi, but he is the kind of guy that would go to Noosa just to say g'day & hang out with you. An extrodinary human! Much repect for Mr Vidal.
I'll second that. He's got a few friends old Ric.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.