Internet, phones and crowds

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

murrum
Local

Re: Internet, phones and crowds

Post by murrum » Tue May 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Donweather wrote: And to be quite honest, there is so much information available on the net these days, that even without surf forecasters, one can make a well educated decision on which days are going to be good. So in today's modern world of the internet, I truly believe that even without surf forecasters, surf breaks will become more crowded.
Do not agree. Forecasters are a factor in crowding, no doubt. There is still a fair amount of effort involved in sussing out a forecast on your own, and sometimes out-doing the web sites, than just spending 5 minutes perusing a site.

The previously uncrowded spots are more accessible as people are prepared to make the drive cause the web has spoon fed them.

As Clif says - its all too late. At lease crowds are still minimal here, and there is still respect and decorum. But its a growing issue down here.

What sh1ts me more is the growing need for people to document themselves. The number of tripods and cameras grows exponentially, on even the most mediocre days. Like the tree that falls in the forest with no-one round; if your barrel isn't on video or photoged, did it really happen? were you even there?
the dreams that stuff was made of

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Tue May 18, 2010 1:27 pm

carvin marvin wrote:Internet technology is good for the planet, less searching for waves means less petrol consumed.
Twaddle.
(hope that tongue is in cheek).
the dreams that stuff was made of

Headlander

Post by Headlander » Tue May 18, 2010 2:11 pm

The lawn bowls bit was actually tounge in cheek(I'd get too pissed) i'm actually doing the taxman a favour(bas statement) and got a bit side tracked reading the posts.
I've now had my say and hope it's being taken on board by the powers that be and mobile phone using highway surfers everywhere and people will have a thought before telling every Tom Dick and Harry where the waves are at any given time and let the punters work for their fill.

Oh and GO the BLUES!!!. Hope that hasn't started anything.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Tue May 18, 2010 4:42 pm

The good old days were post-web pre-forecasting sites, when you did your own forecasting but with access to online data. Epic flexy days and sickies were had by those in the know.

lovenutz
regular

Post by lovenutz » Tue May 18, 2010 4:50 pm

I agree in the rule of surfing with no more than a group of 3 at a break. even that is pushing it.

I surfed a very secluded reef break on sautrday and had a carload of 8 young pros turn up in a van with a photographer. Like why bring that many to surf a tight take off spot?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue May 18, 2010 9:39 pm

oldman wrote:
Good luck with getting around the problem headlander, I have no solutions.
Solutions :?: : I watched "Apocalypse Now" last night. Just arrange to launch a few missiles into the middle of the break. :twisted:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 19, 2010 9:45 am

mm
Last edited by Davros on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed May 19, 2010 10:18 am

untitled.JPG

roundhouse
Grommet

Post by roundhouse » Wed May 19, 2010 11:16 am

All quiet from someone in here? No poetic response?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed May 19, 2010 11:50 am

lovenutz wrote:I surfed a very secluded reef break on sautrday and had a carload of 8 young pros turn up in a van with a photographer. Like why bring that many to surf a tight take off spot?
:D

On recent Easter school break, I surfed an afternoon offshore beach break, 4'-6' (Iggy scale) best conditions I had been out in in what seemed like yonks, with between 4 and 6 people spread over about 150 metres of break and had the time of my life.

Then went back to take the kids for swim at the local, which is 5 minutes from where I had just surfed. It was 3-4', and there were approximately 50 surfers trying to catch a ride across an area no more than 30 metres wide.

Reason for stupidity became clear later when son tells me there is a guy in the water with a camera on a pole.

Clowns
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed May 19, 2010 11:54 am

Memory is a funny thing.
Over time it selects and distorts and after a certain passage of time it takes on the certainty of objective truth.

Many look back on the 70's as a golden time but the follwing super8 movie paints a slightly different picture.
The first thing you notice is that the surf is quite crowded.
The second is the merciless drop-ins.

There's no doubt the 70 and 80's was a heyday for violent localism at the Point.
Greenough stopped surfing it then due to crowds, bad vibes and punch-outs.

That was 30 years before the internet became a tool.

The next gen such as Craig Holley, Jason Cerff, Margo, Glen Curtis etc etc dreamed of becoming professional surfers so violent localism became less and less cool.
That trend has only increased with Woody, Melling, etc etc.
Kids nowadays are too busy ripping to worry about trying to punch out kooks.

And the old lions?
Well, people grow up have families, start business's etc etc. A stint in front of the magistrate for common assault or an AVO doesn't seem quite so appealing.
Better to have an anonymous whinge.

Seriously and being as objective as I possibly can despite my vested interest I find the weekends more crowded but weekdays far less crowded nowadays. People just can't afford to live around here on the dole and go surfing all day like they did in the 70/80/90's.

My real name is on every thing I do.I'm the easiest person in the world to track down for anyone who wants to catch up with me.

The last thing on the vid is singer/songwriter Kev Carmody who might have a slightly different view on what it means to be "local."

http://www.vimeo.com/11854183
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed May 19, 2010 12:27 pm

steve shearer wrote: Many look back on the 70's as a golden time but the follwing super8 movie paints a slightly different picture.
The first thing you notice is that the surf is quite crowded.
The second is the merciless drop-ins.

Seriously and being as objective as I possibly can despite my vested interest I find the weekends more crowded but weekdays far less crowded nowadays. People just can't afford to live around here on the dole and go surfing all day like they did in the 70/80/90's.
Fark those drop-ins are bad :shock:

I reckon you're right about the weekday crowds Steve, over the last couple of years I've surfed well-known spots down my way in the middle of the week in awesome conditions with less than 5 people - two of which were my mates. Cost of living is definitely getting too high to sit around on the dole and surf all week.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed May 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Surf reports should have more detail, much more. They should be so full of really mundane detail that the reader gets bored after the 2nd paragraph. They should run to 2 A4 sheets and start with incredibly lame opening lines: Well gosh, it sure is a nice day. NIce to be alive, isn't it? Just finished my cup of tea. Wasn't quite hot enough but hey, I couldn't be bothered microwaving it. You know, Madura loose leaf tea is a mighty fine drop. So, anyway, the temperature of the sand at the top of the beach at 6:12 was...

In fact, Kevin Rudd should write them.

Headlander

Post by Headlander » Wed May 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Exactly right! You grow old and get responsiblities and therefore can't get into the water during the week often, so look forward to the weekend. Days gone by the first day of a swell wouldn't be crowded, next day a few more would turn up as the word was getting around 3rd day would be crowded as everybody knew and I'm talking from early 80s on. But that was word of mouth ie mate telling other mate maybe talking to somebody else who'd surfed it ect. ect. At least we'd get 1 to 2 days before the crowds,even better if it was only a 1day swell everybody would miss it except those locals who happened in the right spot at the right time or the few that could read the charts themselves.
What I'm getting at is now everybody knows the swell will be here on such and such a day and we don"t get the first days grace.Then even if there aren't that many there in the morning, those that are,get straight on their phones and tell everyone they know, how some place is pumping get there (that includes just about any place that is well known) And yes there used to be drop-ins and you'd find it was a lot of locals doing it to make others pay their dues. No doubt Steve you'd know some of the names mentioned dealt out some rough justice to non locals and new locals alike and still do(those that are still around)
I may be having a whinge and the horse has already bolted but if as I've already said before if we generalise the reports and don't all ring our mates when we find waves then it may just help a little to lessen the crowd.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Wed May 19, 2010 3:17 pm

So where do web cams fit into your dreams of returning to utopia? Who needs an eye witness report when you can check a live report from a cam at anytime during daylight hours and line it up with local knowledge on what works best in any given tide, wind or swell direction. The days of driving frangipani covered kombis are long gone.Everyones got an
iphone!
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed May 19, 2010 7:40 pm

I cannot believe we are even discussing this in 2010......

I live on the beach (A very good quality spot), But still use the web to see whats going on around the place....

FFS.... Get a laptop yer hobo........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu May 20, 2010 12:47 am

hmmm....if it blows south i surf the nth side...if it blows nth...i surf the south side

hmmmm.....u guys might be the full tech heads

but i know which side my wet finger is cold
:idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

the trout
Grommet

Post by the trout » Thu May 20, 2010 9:10 am

Unfortunatly we have living in our area one of the internet forcasters (blow-in surf forcaster or BSF as we call him) who was only too happy to stop the Search comp due to it bringing crowds but then sells us out on the internet surf forcast, pictures and all. Car loads of bunnies th
is this one of the offending pictures
Attachments
carve.jpg