FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: FCS Quads - What are you using ?

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm

base length has a real lot to do with things, moreso than I think some realize, not just overall area......

Hey mark, i looked at the Q1's for rears, they are the smallest base, and most upright fin i can find. How do you reckon they'd go with the M5 in the front??

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:01 pm

from my experience, the more upright fins that give additional pivot work best at front of quad sets, and to be honest, dont know the q1 fin,so cant give much of an opinion... never like to give an opinion unless have some prior experience ....I am a big beleiver of same ( or similar ) templates front and back with small reduction in fin size in tail fins...have come across a few set ups that dont follow this theory but it is a good guide for starters on most quads..
exceptions being the KS fins in front and M3's or G1000s' in rear , this works well in bigger ( and sometimes wider and less tail rockered ) boards that have a little trouble getting the turns started, once started they seem to turn fine....and alot of times this fin set up can make a big difference but on the other hand I do think some people dont persist with the template that the board was designed with for long enough to really understand the performance of the board with those fins, and then change and swap too much and think the board isnt quite going how they had hoped, then they will put the original fins in the board and really enjoy the board, this can happen a bit for first time quaddies....they are different but just a bit of time to learn their subtleties can make a big difference...farkkk I am rambling... :roll:
H2 's are another option but for me they arent they feeling that I am trying to achiev with my designs most of the time, especially in quads....

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:38 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Im disappointed that they don't work with FCS plugs. It looks like you need a whole new fin system.
Nah, Powerbase are designed for use in FCS plugs.

Tried 'em out, I was a bit like "oh yeah....OK...." at first, but then when I fitted 'em and felt the base pull down against the board and get all secure etc, I realised what they were on about.

Pretty sick modification I reckon.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:00 pm

I surfed the bat in some 2-3' low tide waves ( real swell!! ) this morning. I used glass flex Occy sides in the front, and in the back i used 2 homemade one tab littleuns, probably 1 3/4'' base x 2'' deep. I put them in the most forward plug. Was fast, loose, but not slippy slidy, which, considering it was super hollow, was great.

I must mention im used to twin fins, so i think this setup is a bit of a mix of both, for me anyway.

Will post pics in a few days when im off work.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:17 pm

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:28 pm

fins are a real personal thing I reckon...that would never work for me and the way I surf but mate, if that works for you, thats great..it would be pretty slidey and loose if you were to jam a solid turn with some push on the backfoot hey ??? you said it held in quite well, so I am guessing you surf more forward than most ?, the bigger front fins would give some drive and a bit of hold but ther's alot of board behind the fins, have you tried the smaller ones in the back plugs ??? anyway, if it works for you, thats cool, good to check it out , thanks for posting pics.... 8)

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:33 pm

The waves i surfed it in were very low tide, mostly closing out, but occasionally holding up, and mate, it was great, no slipping, no skipping out. Loved the loose feel, super responsive!!. I got a random 4'er, and no probs there either. So far, unreal!!! This morning the waves had died a bit, and were chopped up, d'oh!!!

A nearby hollow wedgy break will be getting a long overdue visit soon!

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:33 pm

I get the feeling it would be like a fire hose let loose!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:08 am

Hey captain, mark is spot on, i surf further forward than most, so my feet are over the front fins i guess, so its not too loose, but it's definately responsive!!

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:26 am

Interesting! I always wondered what it would be like to use a quad fin set-up closer to a twin-fin. I've found twins much more controllable from surfing them from further forward as well.

Keen to hear how it goes after some more waves :)

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:34 am

Beerfan wrote:Hey captain, mark is spot on, i surf further forward than most, so my feet are over the front fins i guess, so its not too loose, but it's definately responsive!!
You surf off your front foot Beerfan or just stand further up your board?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:36 am

A bit of both, though lately i've started trying to surf more off the back foot. I still stand a bit more forward than i probably should though.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:23 pm

Had a surf today at the Bower with some double overhead sets coming through. The M3/G1000 combo handled it fine as a 6'0" board. I probably would have still liked my KFin instead, just to get some tighter arcs though.

Quads are a real strange beast I have to admit. The same board as a thruster might be a bit too skatey in those waves, but as soon as you add the fourth fin it holds surprisingly well. I didn't have to nurse a single turn at all.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Noticed MP using some curvy type fins, wondered if anyone's tried FCS CRV's in the front on a quad set up? And for complete lunacy, how about 3D Red tip trailers? Surely you'd get fairly impressive hold, but also some insane lift from a set up like that? Maybe too much? :shock:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:47 pm

nah but I am for a bit of lunacy when it comes to trying diff shite out....here are a few examples of some of the stuff I am gunna try real soon, bottom pic is tried and going great in my quads already....
there are plenty of other combos to try and even though all seem very weird and unlikely to work, still learn from every one I try out....and it is fun as hell tooo...... 8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:10 pm

Whats that bottom combo there MP?

P.S. The rest of those things look like they're from Star Wars!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:14 pm

u should know this one...you have it on your board...just different materials and company...these ones have more twang IMO.....

may the fours be with you..... :roll:

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Looks nice! Whats the model name of the front fins?

Might get a pair sometime :)