Global Warming

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

boogaloo
Local

Re: Global Warming

Post by boogaloo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:31 pm

Dr. John S. Theon, James Hansen’s former NASA supervisor, has declared himself an anthropogenic climate change skeptic. He has criticised the computer models, and Hansen and others for revising the data sets.

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm? ... d53cd3d320

A few select quotes:

“Climate models are useless.”

“My own belief concerning anthropogenic climate change is that the models do not realistically simulate the climate system because there are many very important sub-grid scale processes that the models either replicate poorly or completely omit."

"Some scientists have manipulated the observed data to justify their model results. In doing so, they neither explain what they have modified in the observations, nor explain how they did it. They have resisted making their work transparent so that it can be replicated independently by other scientists. This is clearly contrary to how science should be done. Thus there is no rational justification for using climate model forecasts to determine public policy.”

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:29 pm

"the models do not realistically simulate the climate system because there are many very important sub-grid scale processes that the models either replicate poorly or completely omit."

Sounds like most other types of models that aren't very good at predicting weather / waves / swell ...

Oh well, it won't be too much longer until you 'flat earthers" savour that wonderful taste of humble pie :lol:
What's the difference between Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris?

One's pretending to be an Indian & the others pretending she isn't!

boogaloo
Local

Artic Sea Ice

Post by boogaloo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:43 pm

The Daily Artic Sea Ice Comparisons are back and -- surprise surprise -- it looks like there could be a bit more ice than last year.

http://igloo.atmos.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/tes ... 17&sy=2009

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:24 pm

I'm posting here from reading front page poll and the amazing amount of responses claiming climate change is man made LMFAO does it not occur as part of natural weather patterns?

Boogs that's true, recent survey are showing a lot more polar ice and (health) state of the Barrier Reef is far better than has been promoted. Media were badgered into not reporting the polar assessment until a response from certain groups could be formulated.

I also saw a docu about how roaring 20's and polar summers have been causing ozone depletion round here for eons, not since 1950's. Our impact, whilst is something that can be controlled & reduced and doesn't help the situation, it is minimal in comparison.

To me the last 2 or 3 summers are a fair bit cooler than the previous 4, and for me no summer has reached the temperature heights and length that '78 offered us, not even close.
So my theory is we are now suffering form global cooling in Sydney ;-)

I believe it is our responsibility not to trash where we live and would be good if we could respect the land as it's original custodians did.

Weather cycles however have been occurring here for a lot more than 200 years round here so is not made man.
Never confuse ambition with ability

drowningbitbybit
Grommet

Post by drowningbitbybit » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:58 pm

Shaunm wrote: I believe it is our responsibility not to trash where we live and would be good if we could respect the land as it's original custodians did.

THEN STOP TRASHING GLOBAL WARMING THEORIES!!!!!!

Not because they may or may not be correct - who knows? - but because it plays into the apathetic hands of both individuals and companies who will just keep on sh*tting in our own backyward until they're made to stop.

Cigarette companies didnt need to prove smoking didnt cause cancer - they just needed to show enough doubt and have a few experts claiming the science was distorted so that they could deny anything was wrong while the media argued about it. The climate is now going through the same politics.

So even if you dont believe it, shut up, and let the people who care enough to do something about it stop the oil companies etc pouring shi& into our air.
A complex system must fail if you alter it enough.
Why do you ask? It's the internet, it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:09 pm

Spin doctoring on either sides needs to be challenged, especially if people are being asked to give $.
You would want to know the true state of something you were thinking of buying shares in.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:19 pm

....and smoking doesn't give you lung cancer and asbestos doesn't hurt you and people are carefull enough to handle atomic energy but they aren't prepared to face the consequences of coal and petrol use.
Yeah, sure :roll: :roll: :roll:
The ridiculous level of burning and general rooting of the environment has no impact on the planet :roll: :roll: :roll:
All brought to you by the same mob of venture capatilists and their even more pathetic advocates who don't even make a financial profit from this crap.

Apparently there is the option of wiping out the human race instead of acting sensibly. Now which one will we choose?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bintang

Post by bintang » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:44 am

Beanpole wrote:
Apparently there is the option of wiping out the human race instead of acting sensibly.
Alarmist. :roll:

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:04 am

its alarming how so many sceptics seem to be indicating that there is no point in reducing emissions because climate change is not anthrapogenic. There are many other serious issues the environment is facing because of our buring fossil fuels, so even if climate change is not anthropogenic at all it is still the best course of action to reduce our emissions as much as possible.
Personally I am far more worried about the fact our planet is starting to look like shit than gobal warming. It makes no sense to dispute climate change because reducing pollution can only help in the long run.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:10 pm

Couldn't agree more, Binnie. Just paraphrasing someone who posted earlier.

Personally I would find it amazing if all the heat generated by the busy little human race had no effect on the planet. Apparently according to the sceptics the planet is so resilient and so much more powerful than the combined efforts of humanity to burn fossil fuels and rainforests that we can sit back and let er rip. Boy how dumb will those alarmists be when nothing happens. :roll: :roll:

The fact that ice men are popping up out of the permafrost where theyve sat for thousands of years is not a result of global warming. Sure guys.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Like religion, extremists at both ends can not listen nor see.

Re emissions trade offs, I'm not for it where we shut down our industries so India and China can open more there. Reducing emissions entirely with no exceptions is however acceptable.

Ps summer in the south pole has been wiping out our ozone coverage here long before 200yrs ago. Scientists also claim the amount of livestock and their flatulence is a real issue :shock:
Bottled methane from animal farts for energy?????

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:47 pm

The trouble with sitting back and arguing about it is that nothing gets done.
On one side you have the hard right conservatives denying that man human activity and industry do not contribute to climate change and the the more radical element of the green movement that want to shut down industry.
I reckon a cut in emissions is a step in the right direction full stop.
While I'm not up on the science I find it hard to accept that continuing to pump more and more pollutants into the atmosphere while continuing with de forestation in places like the Amazon basin is having no effect.
From where I sit it seems to be battle between conservationists and the short term profiteers.
I'll stick with the conservationists.

boogaloo
Local

Post by boogaloo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:20 am

Save the planet: get rid of the dog and get a cat.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/is-it-re ... -kpt1.html

"ECO-FRIENDLINESS
Winner: Cats. The average cat requires 0.15 hectares of land a year to keep it fed, while a medium-sized dog needs 0.84 hectares."

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:49 am

^^ fark, i'd give me little mongral a whole entire hectare if she needed it, mebbe two. she really doesn't ask for much otherwise, just a scratch behind the ears, a pat on the tummy, a good run, something to chew on and an occasional treat.. I reckon if everybody was like her ther'd be far fewer problems in the world,. that is, unless you'd happen to be a squirrel....
then you'd better run for it muthafucca.....
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:06 am

^ Afrisbee or some sticks for Buster who lives here in this place that could do with a little warming, brrr.
boogaloo wrote:Dr. John S. Theon, James Hansen’s former NASA supervisor, has declared himself an anthropogenic climate change skeptic. He has criticised the computer models, and Hansen and others for revising the data sets.

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm? ... d53cd3d320

A few select quotes:

“Climate models are useless.”

“My own belief concerning anthropogenic climate change is that the models do not realistically simulate the climate system because there are many very important sub-grid scale processes that the models either replicate poorly or completely omit."

"Some scientists have manipulated the observed data to justify their model results. In doing so, they neither explain what they have modified in the observations, nor explain how they did it. They have resisted making their work transparent so that it can be replicated independently by other scientists. This is clearly contrary to how science should be done. Thus there is no rational justification for using climate model forecasts to determine public policy.”
What an embarrassment to the scientific community. First thing is to get off your butt and do some experiments, and if you can't do that, then process some data and share your results. Bludger.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:24 pm

That's from January and a quick google and the only stuff that turns up is from January, wonder why :?:

Ah here's why:

"So who is John S Theon?"

http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2009/01 ... _theon.php

And some of the comments:

"Yet another superannuated science administrator joins the denialist/inactivist list. Just like William Kininmonth.

Administrators who haven't done any science since the early 1980's and don't trust this new fangled modelling."

"A denialist who's out of touch with the facts and misrepresents his authority? I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!"
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

boogaloo
Local

Post by boogaloo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:31 am

Denial? I've got your denial right here:
http://www.eastangliaemails.com/emails. ... 592331.txt

Climatologist Ed Cook writing to CRU's Diviner of Treemometers, Ed Briffa.

Regarding temperature trends going back more than 100 years:

"we know with certainty that we know fcuk-all"

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:24 am

As stated by Dr. Nathan Lewis, Professor of Chemistry, California Institute of Technology:

“You see the Earth has a 35 year thermal inertia and so what we’re doing now is only the beginning because we’re waiting 35 years even to see the effects of what we did 35 years ago. So it would be another 30 years until we started to really see, even at the only 380 parts per million level [of C02-e atmospheric concentration] that we’re doing now, what those effects are. And we’ll be at 550 [parts per million of C02-e concentration] by then — or more — and it’s never been above 300. So there’s a serious debate over whether that will be very bad or not, very bad, but all we know is no matter what we do when we get there there’s no turning back.”

:|