what's the shittest wave in sydney?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: what's the shittest wave in sydney?

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:52 pm

Newport Pool is for sure the shittest wave in Sydney. Possibly in Australia.

It's been masquerading as a real wave now for over 50 years and failing dismally to produce at any stage.

Well apart from once every three years when the swell is EXACTLY the right size (ie 8-10') and angle (ie sse pure groundswell) and it's not too windy, and the tide's mid-high, and there's not too much sand on the reef, and none of the fcuken idiots who think they're Big Wave Jims can actually paddle out.

And when it's like that, other places are so much better it hurts.

Hurray for the Pool.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:23 pm

^^^ surfed it around 3-4 with s wind and there was so much water moving, every set that came through look perfect BUT it was just over there - i think I got 2 good waves and after 2 hours ended up letting the rip pull me in :evil:

^^^**2 :?

for me it's 8ft coogee shore break because I've never seen it.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

philw
Local

Post by philw » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:03 pm

tama has been ok recently... :D

curl curl, freshwater, manly, just as crappy as e suburbs most of the time.

vb
Local

Post by vb » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:10 pm

Newport Pool is crap, especially high tide with a fair swell ... tried swimming 50m the other day and it was like being in a washing machine. There was, however, a fcking classy looking wave breaking about 200m out from it. Wonder more people don't go for it.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:12 pm

Collaroy has gotta be up there, very rarely good, longboard only.

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:27 pm

i'll put my vote with the cronulla beachies sucking hard aswell...been surfing them for a while and could count the quality surfs on them with one hand...90% of the time its just straight and crap, even with a good swell in the water...have to agree that the alley has had some fun ones of late, and there was a good bank out the front of eloura for a time there but yea pretty dissapointing, better off going for a drive down the coast or hitting the reefs
Active care for an active lifestyle
Manly Chiropractor
http://www.nbchiro.com.au

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:50 pm

salty wrote:C'mon guys... Coogee has got to get a mention in this thread.
But when it gets to 8 ft ... that shorey :shock:

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:24 pm

Agree - Bondi to Bronte stretch sux big time. Grew up surfing that stuff - backwash / sidewash high tide Tama poon dog crappola, banks once every 11 years at macca's, fat burgers at Bronte with a side order of cliff wash, crowded shutdowns at bondage. Still, had some of the best waves of my life on those days when everything aligns. Every spot has it's day, way too rare though.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Freshwater.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:09 pm

Freshy, DY beachie, Collaroy (sth of block), Bilgola, Palmy, Eastern Suburbs, Cronulla beachies.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

drowningbitbybit
Grommet

Post by drowningbitbybit » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:18 am

Until I moved to Sydney two years ago, I had to travel five hours to the nearest decent break, and it was a hit and miss affair even with the best forecasting.

So I love every wave in Sydney. It's there, just outside my house, I love them all.

...except Coogee. That's shite.
Why do you ask? It's the internet, it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:19 am

I'm with you Drowning.....I love surfing in Sydney.
Had some smoking lefts at North ....umm....what was that beach called....Dino, help me out here.

I love Bondi too.....seriously...such a circus...great fun.

And seriously: Sydney....what a great city.
On the international stage it shines......compared to Melbourne....now that is a fcuking blight on the landscape.
For sheer ugliness and misery Melbourne stands up there with other eastern european wharehouses of human misery.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:59 am

The biggest straight-hander on the northern beaches - Freshwater

The biggest straight-hander on the eastern beaches - Bondi

The wave which looks like it has potential but is almost always a let-down - Bronte, especially Bronte Reef

Having said that, I've had one of my best rides at Bronte on a rare big day when the planets aligned perfectly. A big right from one end of the little bay all the way to the other.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

entity

Post by entity » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:28 pm

Mona Vale Basin lefts.

Da Duke
regular

Post by Da Duke » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:The biggest straight-hander on the northern beaches - Freshwater

Lived in Freshie for a number of years. Yes it was more often than not straight, and fat, and crowded with kooks but on its day ...ON ITS DAY!...it was pretty good.
I've had great waves on the left near the pool with a couple that ended on the rocks in the southern corner - thats about 300m. I've also seen the right do a fair D'bah impersonation. Like anywhere its all about the planets aligning for that brief window of opportunity and being there to capitalise.

Biggest disappointment for me is the whole Longy stretch. Such a waste of potential. That place should be a fun-park FFS instead its a frustrating bane to any southerly swell event.

GregL
Grommet

Post by GregL » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:17 pm

agree with newport pool being a hoax wave. better suited to goat boaters i reckon.
disagree strongly with mona basin lefts if you mean north point. had some epic surfs there although haven't surfed it for 25yrs. maybe it's changed.
my vote goes to bilgola. hands down the most consistently crappy wave on the northern beaches, maybe even the whole of sydney.

acac

Post by acac » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:15 pm

GregL wrote: my vote goes to bilgola. hands down the most consistently crappy wave on the northern beaches, maybe even the whole of sydney.
Bilgola has some epic waves alot of the time when i surf there especially on solid groundswells when bowles in the southern corner go's off. also in certain conditions the op bombie out off the northern corner pumps with some big big barrells.

Anyway i think that LA is the shittest wave in sydney. it hardly works over 3ft and if it gets that big then south or north av usually have 6ft spitting barrells.

nomad74

Post by nomad74 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:22 pm

Powder puff point aka collaroy, what a stinker of a wave, flat gutless wonder - perfect for learners.
Thow in the water quality is shocking any time it rains, and after a bit of swell it turns into a weed filled wonderland.
But that is not to say it can`t produce some punchy lefts of the block from time to time, when the planets align. Every beach has it's day, just some more than others.