6 finner...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: 6 finner...

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:27 pm

am extremely intereseted to hear your report on the board after some testing mate, will be interesting indeed
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:45 am

Hey Mark, are you using CCD for your six finners? or PU/PE? Is each material as easy to work with - just interested to know.

Clearly a Quadfather with six fins inserted becomes the Tony Soprano model 8)

or The Hexabat :!:
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:35 am

LONGINUS wrote:Hey Mark, are you using CCD for your six finners? or PU/PE? Is each material as easy to work with - just interested to know.

CDD on the backburner for a while for me, few small issues with my trial board....

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:12 pm

sanded some weight off the 6 finner and got it closer to the weight I like...surfed it as a quad today and will do so for the next few surfs, so I have a better understanding of how the board goes before I surf it with all 6. As a quad it went really well, smooth thru turns and very snappy when I wanted it to, easy to put on rail and held drive thru turns well. Only thing was it may have lacked a touch of 'life' but that was the weight factor but that was less of a concern than I thought. Maybe the rails are a touch soft around the front foot area but I intentionally softened them further back then usual because I was thinking of having the 6 fins, thought it may track a little with the fins further forward than usual so thought by softening the edges up a little it might prevent that a touch but on a whole it went very well...only got 2 backhand waves so hoping to feel it out at a nearby point tomorrow...really liked the pivotty feel of the diamond tail with the quad ( M3's in front and old G5's in back ), great for snappy hard turns but you dont have to do the turns like that, it can draw a nice arc as well but the snappiness is there when you want it.... 8)

waves were 2-4ft high tide and offshore but some quite bowly sections in a rip.....keep you guys who are interested posted with info after I have ridden it with all 6....even if it doesnt go great, I have a fun quadfather here.... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:13 pm

havent been riding the 6 finner much because the conditions havent really suited, plus I have been riding the AquaBat heaps and lovin it...now we have huge junky swell but I am going to be surfing it soon as it drops and cleans up... feedback coming soon ... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:08 pm

they are great, very responsive and loving them in my small Fat-Bat, am going to try them in the AquaBat soon...they are all hand foiled so they could be made to suit any plugs I guess... Lessormore just got a set so ask him for his thoughts maybe ???.... 8)

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:17 am

guard wrote:How are the butterfly fins handling lately?
Do they come in future bases?
Yeah,I'm using them on my Fat-Bat at the moment.I can get a heap of drive out of them,especially on flat or gutless sections of a wave.2' summer slop has never been so much fun.I have a set of FCSs I keep meaning to put in to get a comparison,but I haven't succumbed yet.I'll let you know when I do.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:24 am

also have some other really sick fins, PM or e-mail me if interested in a set... :D 8)
Last edited by pridmore on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the trout
Grommet

Post by the trout » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:42 am

pridmore wrote:
LONGINUS wrote:Hey Mark, are you using CCD for your six finners? or PU/PE? Is each material as easy to work with - just interested to know.

CDD on the backburner for a while for me, few small issues with my trial board....

want to explain the prblem whith c d d blanks

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:42 am

the trout wrote:want to explain the prblem whith c d d blanks
No I don’t suspect he does from loyalty to the supplier.

I will add though, that the CDD blanks ARE NOT intended for the use Mark undertook, they are intended for composite sandwich construction (ala Firewire, Sunova, et al) which is totally different to a simple glass job and infinitely stronger, least that’s my understanding.

Huie, one of the originators, if he is reading can confirm this.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:00 pm

nothing at all wrong with the CDD foam, its really good and feels awesome to surf, I used incorrect glassing for my trial board, so definitely nuthing to do with quality of foam, that is A1... 8) I will be doing more in the future thats for sure....

Surfed the 6 finner again today, conditions were good and was about 3-5ft clean point waves. First few waves felt ok, little bit sluggish on take off but when leaning into a turn it took off, turned more responsively than expected and hooked off the top quite sharply too, I was having a little trouble getting turns to flow smoothly together but every wave started to feel better. Not only was I getting used to 6 fins but also a board that I had only surfed maybe 4 times so there was a bit to get used to, and after surfing the AquaBat for 2 weeks, it was a bit of an adjustment but it was ok. I found that the 6 finner need to be put on rail asap when taking off coz it felt a little lifeless going straight and flat, on rail it had a ton of squirt and it loved taking the high line and then swooping down and off the bottom. After about 7 waves it started to feel quite positive and I got a few screamers and as I got used to it and stopped thinking about what was going on under me, I started to surf it much better. Definitely worth playing with some more and I will be riding it alot in the near future. 8)

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:42 am

lessormore wrote:
guard wrote:How are the butterfly fins handling lately?
Do they come in future bases?
Yeah,I'm using them on my Fat-Bat at the moment.I can get a heap of drive out of them,especially on flat or gutless sections of a wave.2' summer slop has never been so much fun.I have a set of FCSs I keep meaning to put in to get a comparison,but I haven't succumbed yet.I'll let you know when I do.
Tried out the FCSs yesterday.Made the board a fair bit looser but nowhere near as much drive as the Butterflys. Probably due to the reduced area of the FCSs.I might try a combo of both of them next.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:03 pm

starting to learn more about the 6 finner now, had a solid session on it today in 2-3 ft beachie. The board feels super positive when pushing it down the line and the few times I pulled in it really held its line well and was quite fast. Hard to say if its quicker than thruster or quad but definitely same kinda speed. On backhand it feels great down the line and again really good in the tube. Thru turns it feels good too but the waves were more like race for speed and hit the closeout or maybe a floater oe reo before the end so waves werent ideal to really know how it performs when surfing up and down. Only done 2 cutties and both on forehand but it seemed to surf fine so all in all it is working well but need more surfs to really know. Only negative so far is that it maybe a bit too loose on backhand turns off the top and I think its to do with tail width and shape more so than the fins. Hopeful of some more performance type waves tomorrow so can really push it a bit....One wave that i took off on shut down a fair way in front of me but when I drove hard off the bottom and took aim for the clean face down the line, the board really responded and drove me right around and easily made the section, that was impressive for me and another surfer commented on it also, thats before I showed him the bottom of the board...so far so good, enjoying the learning alot.... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:25 pm

swapped boards with a guy who had a 6 finner by Glen Winton today, he rode the AquaBat...his was super thin ( 1 3/4" ) and similar planshape to my 6 finner. His fins were all smaller and flexier with cutaways. The board felt fast and smooth down the line but not enough hold thru turns, had to nurse it thru bottom turns then carve back to the pocket because if I snappe thru a turn it would snap alot on the spot and not drive me around at all... Interesting comparing his to mine but my one goes alot better ( for me and my opion only ), think his needs bigger and less flexy fins to give him the driv and hold needed...It almost was like he was trying to have the smallest fins in to balance out the quantity...good fun to ride and learn more but feel like I am on the right track after testing another version...still believe there is potential so wont be the end of playin around with 6 fins for me....he didnt want to swap back and loved the volume and the speed of the Abat....looks like he is ordering one today too so he must have enjoyed it.....back on my 6 finner tomorrow now that the Abat has moved onto mr. Shearer at Lennox....I will post more info and feedback if anyone is even interested ???

mah

Post by mah » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:12 pm

i got 6 dicks 8 balls 4tits and 1 vagina :mrgreen:

Trumpeter

Post by Trumpeter » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:20 pm

mah wrote:i got 6 dicks 8 balls 4tits and 1 vagina :mrgreen:
and no brain :lol:

the 6 finned thing looks rubbish, say what you like about closed mindedness, if it worked terry fitz et. al woulda been doing it a quarter decade ago :?
Surfboards are our passion at Global Surf Industries.
Global Surf Industries has a company mantra "Life is better when you surf®".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:37 pm

Trumpeter wrote:
mah wrote:i got 6 dicks 8 balls 4tits and 1 vagina :mrgreen:
and no brain :lol:

the 6 finned thing looks rubbish, say what you like about closed mindedness, if it worked terry fitz et. al woulda been doing it a quarter decade ago :?
a quarter decade hey ? 2 1/2 years ago you reckon, Terry Fitz was designing boards in his prime a little before then trumpet...people thought the twin was weird , then the thruster, then the quad, now they are all accepted and functional designs...I am not saying its the new best thing, its a design I am playing with and I am sharing with those who are interested, after all it is a surfing forum.... :roll: but its your opinion but I am riding it and not you .

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:10 pm

after seeing the board close up ( pictures lie) the board looks very surfable :!:

( bar the shit glass job :cry: )

so i wouldn't write the design off...not for a minute :idea:

the best thing about the fat bat project

is cause we both ( and rest yas) surfed the board....i can relate marks feeling that board under feet

with my feelings of it under feet

and than get a feel for what his talking about when he surfs another board :?

that doesn't make any sense hey :oops: ....but i know what i mean 8)

anycase....surfed the swinger yet :?:

and when i get my next board....i'd go a six finner.... :idea:

p.s does anyone know where i can get Shane Webcke tell all bronco book :?: 8) :?: :?: :?:

prefer autographed....best player for a otherwise soft club :twisted:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?