6 finner...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

6 finner...

Post by pridmore » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 am

Ok guys I know its the wrong thread but nobody has been looking at the other sections so I am whacking it in here to get maximum views and hopefully some thoughts and interest...This is a board I shaped for myself and I am super happy with the shape and am enthusiastic to ride a 6 finner ( have ridden one before a few times and loved it ) but my glasser has glassed it too heavy for me. It was supposed to be a 4 bottom and a 6 deck but it weighs like a 6 bottom and a 1 x 4 and 1 x 6 deck...too heavy for me and as tempted as I am to surf it , I have ridden heavier boards before and they are not for me...so this is for sale..the fins are placed so it can be ridden as a quad or as a 6 finner. I have set the fins to be the same as a 6 finner of Glen Wintons. The shape is one of my Quadfather designs and dims are 6'1 1/2" x 19 1/4" x 2 3/8" , single to double concave and if anyone is interested please PM me. Price not set but I do want to sell it quick so I can afford to do another asap exactly the same just lighter.... 8)

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Re: 6 finner...

Post by dUg » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:52 pm

May be a crazy question, but wouldn't that equal twice the drag of a thruster set up? :?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:09 am

dUg wrote:May be a crazy question, but wouldn't that equal twice the drag of a thruster set up? :?
people are always talking about 'more drag' and stuff but I just surf it and if they go well, then thats enough for me. Guess its a bit like ' did the twinny have double the drag of a single fin ? and quad to twinny ??? does the thruster have 3 times the drag of a single ??? I just think if they are positioned right and the board surfs well, then its another design option...Who would have thought in the70's that we would all be riding 3 and 4 fin boards today ??? I am trying new stuff all the time and really learning and enjoying it...cheers

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:48 am

It needs another fin, don’t you know everything is about 7. :shock:

Where’s Roy when you need him?

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:12 am

I guess these are things one notices more in smaller / weaker waves, or something more lightweight surfers ( like me ) can struggle with at times. In terms of fin surface area, I reckon the old twinny was probably about 30 - 50% more than the average single finner of the day, and a modern thruster maybe 150 - 200% more. Being smaller, more refined fins they inherantly would have less drag, and this would largely be offset by the "squirt" you get from the thruster's trailing fin through turns.

As a lot of guys are singing the praises of quaddies in small / weak surf, seeing six fins goes a bit against the grain for me.

But as you say ,if it goes great in the waves you like to use it in, then that's probably all that matters. :)

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:38 am

ric_vidal wrote:It needs another fin, don’t you know everything is about 7. :shock:

No Ric, it's all about assymetry. It needs 3 regular fins on one side, and 3 tunnel fins on the other side. That's where it's at.

I imagine it's pretty tail heavy with all those plugs and fins in it Mark. Sometimes less is more.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:23 am

tiger wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:It needs another fin, don’t you know everything is about 7. :shock:

No Ric, it's all about assymetry. It needs 3 regular fins on one side, and 3 tunnel fins on the other side. That's where it's at.

I imagine it's pretty tail heavy with all those plugs and fins in it Mark. Sometimes less is more.
plenty of doubters out there and that is the standard thought, coz it is different that it cant go any good. Think we might have been here before. :roll: ....Dont know until you try these things.....best way to get a true understanding is to make some and ride them and to really know how they go.( I have had a few surfs on a 6 finner and it went well, very drivey and directional, lots of potential and thats why I made another )... Cant just sit back and presume or criticise coz its different. Not having a go or being smart, just seems to be the way people are, cant see outside the box...all it is is a few extra fins...surfers are supposed to be a creative bunch but that is not what I have found..... Dont worry Timmy, I will be riding a 6 finner with assymetrical fins, all combos actually...riding Butterfly fins on a few of mine ATM.... 8) 8) keen to some pics of your assymetrical works... 8)

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:29 pm

Hitchhiker: You heard of this thing, the 8-Minute Abs?
Ted: Yeah, sure, 8-Minute Abs. Yeah, the excercise video.
Hitchhiker: Yeah, this is going to blow that right out of the water. Listen to this: 7... Minute... Abs.
Ted: Right. Yes. OK, all right. I see where you're going.
Hitchhiker: Think about it. You walk into a video store, you see 8-Minute Abs sittin' there, there's 7-Minute Abs right beside it. Which one are you gonna pick, man?
Ted: I would go for the 7.
Hitchhiker: Bingo, man, bingo. 7-Minute Abs. And we guarantee just as good a workout as the 8-minute folk.
Ted: You guarantee it? That's - how do you do that?
Hitchhiker: If you're not happy with the first 7 minutes, we're gonna send you the extra minute free. You see? That's it. That's our motto. That's where we're comin' from. That's from "A" to "B".
Ted: That's right. That's - that's good. That's good. Unless, of course, somebody comes up with 6-Minute Abs. Then you're in trouble, huh?
[Hitchhiker convulses]
Hitchhiker: No! No, no, not 6! I said 7. Nobody's comin' up with 6. Who works out in 6 minutes? You won't even get your heart goin, not even a mouse on a wheel.
Ted: That - good point.
Hitchhiker: 7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 dwarves. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.
Ted: Why?
Hitchhiker: 'Cause you're fuckin' fired!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Gunnamatta Rally. I'm there.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:22 pm

pridmore wrote: plenty of doubters out there and that is the standard thought, coz it is different that it cant go any good.
I thought I was offering "thoughts and interest". ;)

The last two six channels I had shaped were scrutinised by a couple of SA's best surfer / shapers, their unanimous assessment... "those boards won't go" ( sooooo very wrong ). The carbon fibre railed, kevlar tailed M-grade styro / epoxy 6'1 I shaped in 1998 drew similar fire. I don't think I'd be too quickly criticised for following the herd... I have surfed some crazy vehicles you would not believe!

I would actually really love to have a go on a six finner... I'll have a go on any board that challenges what I think should work.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:28 pm

dUg wrote:
pridmore wrote: plenty of doubters out there and that is the standard thought, coz it is different that it cant go any good.
I thought I was offering "thoughts and interest". ;)

The last two six channels I had shaped were scrutinised by a couple of SA's best surfer / shapers, their unanimous assessment... "those boards won't go" ( sooooo very wrong ). The carbon fibre railed, kevlar tailed M-grade styro / epoxy 6'1 I shaped in 1998 drew similar fire. I don't think I'd be too quickly criticised for following the herd... I have surfed some crazy vehicles you would not believe!

I would actually really love to have a go on a six finner... I'll have a go on any board that challenges what I think should work.
not directed at you mate, I know you like differnet shapes and we have discussed some stuff in previous threads...more of a comment at the majority's responses...all good dug, wish there was a few more that thought the same.....( not the same same, i mean i wish more were willing to ride diff stuff with an open mind...)... 8) :)

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:30 pm

pridmore wrote:Cant just sit back and presume or criticise coz its different. Not having a go or being smart, just seems to be the way people are, cant see outside the box...all it is is a few extra fins...
Thank you, Mark, now what pray tell happened to that sense of humour? :D Don’t worry, I’ll let you know when you do something I think is different, so far you’ve only scratched the surface. :mrgreen:

Tiger, I like it. Must find your asymmetrical board photo, was thinking about that over the weekend.

Remember 7 Mark, but first I’m thinking 5 first, you just wait, it’ll be MORE betterer than yours...

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:16 pm

honestly, can not give accurate feedback as I hace only had a few short surfs and that is why I have shaped this one...so I can know the answers to the same questions as you...I am not selling it now, decided to sand the crap out of it and make it as light as possible and no finish coat, just a pro-finish for weight reasons ( I never use pro-finish, hate it )....I will have plenty of info and feedback on performance in about 1 week or so... kinda pumped again after being dissapointed coz of the weight.... 8)

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:37 pm

:idea: ... send one around so we can all have a go ... I'll even write you a report in a diary or something ...

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:06 pm

pridmore wrote:[. Not having a go or being smart, just seems to be the way people are, cant see outside the box...all it is is a few extra fins...surfers are supposed to be a creative bunch but that is not what I have found..... 8)
your not being fair and that is A HUGE GENERALIZATION :!:

not everyone can afford a quiver

not everyone can store a quiver

and hell, there are guys out there who could buy and sell us ten times over +

who simply don't want a quiver :idea:

majority surfers...particularly grommets

are up for one board

the majority choose a standard thruster

something that been proven work in a range conditions...and yeah...fits in with the fashion

i've ridden five different boaRDS IN THE LAST 3 DAYS ( abit poorly, but i did have my moments of brilliance :lol: )

so too say we, as surfers are closed minded about the boards we choose ride is a bit how u going...mr ego head :lol:

p.s the quad flew on sat...best surf yet on it 8)

p.p.s i'll give ya $200 cash for the six finnner and a carton too ya board distributors in this area :P :wink: :idea: :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:25 pm

I seriously think a lot of the weight issue would be due to all those fins and plugs Mark. Fin systems weigh a bit, and you've got double the normal amount. Would be upsetting the 'balance' of the board, making it tail heavy.

Remember those 5 finners Stump used to make? Kinda like your Quads with the stabiliser. But the fins tapered in size, and he'd glass the front ones on normal, and the back 3 with minimal rovings etc to keep it light in the tail. I reckon you should try to get some really light soar fins, and glass them on as light as you can get away with.

I like the look of the outline, looks a bit like my fav 6'2" (the one Fong dinged :roll: ).

Surfed with Big Spotter y'day at boiling pot, it was crankin. He was on one of your quads, and was enjoying it.

Here's a pic of my quiver with the assymetric in there for yourself and Ric to ogle. Sorry haven't got a close up pic of it.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:30 pm

tiger wrote:I seriously think a lot of the weight issue would be due to all those fins and plugs Mark. Fin systems weigh a bit, and you've got double the normal amount. Would be upsetting the 'balance' of the board, making it tail heavy.

Remember those 5 finners Stump used to make? Kinda like your Quads with the stabiliser. But the fins tapered in size, and he'd glass the front ones on normal, and the back 3 with minimal rovings etc to keep it light in the tail. I reckon you should try to get some really light soar fins, and glass them on as light as you can get away with.

I like the look of the outline, looks a bit like my fav 6'2" (the one Fong dinged :roll: ).

Surfed with Big Spotter y'day at boiling pot, it was crankin. He was on one of your quads, and was enjoying it.

Here's a pic of my quiver with the assymetric in there for yourself and Ric to ogle. Sorry haven't got a close up pic of it.

An obvious fan of rampant consumerjism. :lol:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:54 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:
pridmore wrote:[. Not having a go or being smart, just seems to be the way people are, cant see outside the box...all it is is a few extra fins...surfers are supposed to be a creative bunch but that is not what I have found..... 8)
your not being fair and that is A HUGE GENERALIZATION :!:

not everyone can afford a quiver

not everyone can store a quiver

and hell, there are guys out there who could buy and sell us ten times over +

who simply don't want a quiver :idea:

majority surfers...particularly grommets

are up for one board

the majority choose a standard thruster

something that been proven work in a range conditions...and yeah...fits in with the fashion

i've ridden five different boaRDS IN THE LAST 3 DAYS ( abit poorly, but i did have my moments of brilliance :lol: )

so too say we, as surfers are closed minded about the boards we choose ride is a bit how u going...mr ego head :lol:

p.s the quad flew on sat...best surf yet on it 8)

p.p.s i'll give ya $200 cash for the six finnner and a carton too ya board distributors in this area :P :wink: :idea: :lol:
Not a mr. ego head at all Fong, just saying what I think about the way that majority of surfers that I know and deal with and didnt mean that surfers had to go out and buy different shapes, just meant that surfers should be more open to different stuff like boards with a different amount of fins..I understand grommies cant afford heaps of boards or a quiver and never suggested that in what I said...more commenting on the negative response that most ( not all ) surfers have when seeing something 'different'... I can imagine what some say or think when they see a assymetrical ...Timmy ??? ...example- took the board out and to show a few customers today and one of them laughed and thought I was crazy, I swear he couldnt believe I was riding a board with '4 ' fins...then I got the 6 finner out and shoulda seen his face...then I laughed.... :lol: I definitely dont want to come across as a big head coz not true, just saying what I think....and what I see.... :shock:

yeah Timmy, know what you mean about the weight but it really was from my glasser using 6oz and patches and of twisted weave or 's' weave which he tells me weighs more and he also put patches on it. did the plugs so I can swap fins and really find what works best and what does what..it is for my learning and knowledge only.....I remember the Stumpy 5 finners and used to ride quite a few when I was with Wave Zone. They went well ...what about his step-noses, they were the best and I am actually doing one next week. What, me shaping something a bit different ???? they really seemed to work for me but Stump never wanted to shape them so I had to bug him a fair bit ... Yeah, not sure Spotter is sold on the quad fins but he had only had a few surfs on it when I saw him, he really wanted a certain rocker and stuff so I couldnt do 'exactly' what I wanted but hope he was surfing well ???

you know what you can do with ya $200 Fong.... :lol: :lol: :roll: :D maybe in 6 months that will be a good deal....