Bodyboarding and Cycling from Banda Aceh to Bali

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

dylanb

Bodyboarding and Cycling from Banda Aceh to Bali

Post by dylanb » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:43 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know that a mate and I are going to cycle across indonesia, starting at the top of Sumatra and then ending up in Bali. We are about 6 months out and would really like some advice on the region and waves.

Do you think we would need heavier boards for the bigger waves. Dow core maybe? We live on the Sunshine Coast and rarely get any big swell.

Check out the website - www.eatsleepsurf.com.au

There is a forum and videos up there as well.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Re: Bodyboarding and Cycling from Banda Aceh to Bali

Post by Revolution » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:35 pm

All i know is kingy put sand in his stringer when surfing the right for more weight. Although i doubt you will sure waves of that size.

dylanb

Post by dylanb » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:25 pm

Sand in the stringer, not a bad idea. But yeah im sure those size waves are to big for us.

Nicko
regular

Post by Nicko » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:48 pm

I've been to Indo a few times and have always taken a PP board with stringers. Never had any problems. But then I like my boards stiff as .... a board!

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:52 pm

good luck with the cycling part - do you mean motor cycling? it's hardly a flat country.

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:36 pm

dow might be good for the waves, but you probably want something that is durable. i imagine it'll will be easily trashed on a bike trip in south-east asia.
there are plenty of PP boards that'll work well in indo.
Last edited by bonusbeats on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:37 pm

I doubt you want a Dow board due to the heat of the water. It'll bend and buckle like a mofo. You need a PP with a stringer. Its 27C in the water and warmer out. My mate took a Dow board last year to Indo and he was having troubles on steep ones. He lost speed from the bottom turn because the board gave way too much. You need some rigidness and PP is great for that regions water temp.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:12 am

I was about to say ... if you got dow you would wanna double stringer it + mesh. I wonder how one of those 50/50 cores would go?

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:15 pm

never mind what bodyboards you are taking (surfer talking here :wink: )... what bikes and cargo carrying system are you using? I'd imagine something rather robust for a trip that long.... using panniers or trailers?

dylanb

Post by dylanb » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:39 am

Yeah cool, i think i wil get the toughest board i can get, double stringer, maybe mesh. I mean i only want to take one board as weight on a bicycle is pretty limited. We are converting mountain bikes into heavy duty touring machines. and using a single wheel bob trailer for some space and to carry boards.

thanks for all the advice

Check out the website, it shows our progression and training, and eventually departure in June 09.
http://www.eatsleepsurf.com.au

Hozameen

Post by Hozameen » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:00 pm

My father always said to me

"a planned trip, is no trip at all"

Go with the flow. Any board will do. Im sure if you got stuck, some form of tray would keep you more than entertained. Why dont you look at a Tom Wegener prone Alaia? Light, tough as buggery, and easily the fastest down the line trimmer you will find. Not sure how functional one would be in some draining barrells, ts all trial and error.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:33 pm

Bob trailers are awesome - rode for a couple of months around Europe with one.

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:29 am

Hozameen wrote:. Why dont you look at a Tom Wegener prone Alaia? Light, tough as buggery, and easily the fastest down the line trimmer you will find. Not sure how functional one would be in some draining barrells,
unfortunately tom wegner makes the Alaias out of paulownia which is a very, very attractive wood for borrers which would pose a problem over 6 months of almost jungle bashing (one plus of it is that it wont rot :P) , thickness on the rail of those smaller Alaias are far from forgiving in heavy conditions also.
its been said before but to say it again, a straight pp with one/two stringers will be your best bet. dont bother with a flex-tips. mesh will reduce durability in conditions alike to what you'll find up there.

Hozameen

Post by Hozameen » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:33 pm

Ahhh yes

Wood and the jungle, not the best combination.

cheers for that Lambert. How such ignorance has crept into me, i dont know.

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:11 pm

yeah paulownia is a really good wood because it pretty much can't rot its just the damn borrers. but the feeling of riding a 4'6" on a wave like Image would be something else.. but tbh whatever you're riding that wave would be pretty special

dylanb

Post by dylanb » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:12 pm

Cheers for the info, yeah we are going to have a journal on the website so we can post like an article and image.

Definately taking a PP board, and not sure if we should take paniers and a bob trailer, since we have a bit of equipement to camp and film the project.

Cheers for all your guys thoughts.

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:09 pm

Possibly consider using a bike with a steel frame, roads no doubt will be rough and bikes under a bit of aload. The beauty of steel is that any local welder can patch things up.

There are some great steel touring frames out there. Salsa do a beauty - the "fargo". But if your budget is tight just hunt around for a 2nd hand one with rack mounts.

Carrying luggage - I have only used panniers, and most touring on paved roads. If you need to negotiate narrow, winding and steep trails where you need to get off and push - you will be cursing a trailer. But you can definitely carry more on one.

Kudos to you guys. Nothing beats travelling under your own steam.
the dreams that stuff was made of