The Largest Model of our Universe

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

The Largest Model of our Universe

Post by Kunji » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:03 pm

Here is a visual model showing the distribution of Dark Matter in our Universe.

The cold dark matter model has become the leading theoretical paradigm for the formation of structure in the Universe.

Together with the theory of cosmic inflation, this model makes a clear prediction for the initial conditions for structure formation and predicts that structures grow hierarchically through gravitational instability.

Testing this model requires that the precise measurements delivered by galaxy surveys can be compared to robust and equally precise theoretical calculations. Here we present a novel framework for the quantitative physical interpretation of such surveys. This combines the largest simulation of the growth of dark matter structure ever carried out with new techniques for following the formation and evolution of the visible components.

We show that baryon-induced features in the initial conditions of the Universe are reflected in distorted form in the low-redshift galaxy distribution, an effect that can be used to constrain the nature of dark energy with next generation surveys.

^^Above words and explanation of the visual model are from here

:shock:

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:29 pm

:shock: 8)

S-Coops, I hope your wearing your anti-RV protective flak jacket.

oldo_nicho
regular

Post by oldo_nicho » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:34 pm

Pretty visuals, but it doesn't really do much in terms of explaining what it is showing...

Also, at 16secs it defines a parsec as the "distance from the earth to a star", where actually a parsec is the distance from the earth to a star with a parallax of one arc second (1/360th of a degree). The closest star is Proxima Centauri (not Alpha Centauri as stated in the video) and it exists at a distance of 1.295 parsecs from Earth...

Coops, do you have an interest in this field, or was it something that you just stumbled across?

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:42 pm

I have an interest in this field. The second link will have the info you may be requiring.

oldo_nicho
regular

Post by oldo_nicho » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:51 pm

Fascinating stuff hey...

I'm doing a random astronomy course at uni (actually study engineering...) and our lecturer showed us a really interesting fly-through animation of our galaxy that has been composed entirely from actual photos of objects, mostly from hubble, and placed in their correct locations.

It's hard at such massive scales to not feel completely insignificant! But then at the same time we are here so how significant is that! What is that again, the anthropic principle?

Anyway, is this an area that you are generally interested in, or do you study astronomy\cosmology?

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:17 pm

I just read books about it for myself. Ive always had a general interest in Astronomy. My mum used to buy big colourful books about space which had pics of our Universe in it. Never looked back since.

I read The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene not too long ago which blew my head then a couple of Paul Davies books about what the chemical and physical conditions were for life to emerge. Im taking a short break from physics now reading The Blind Watchmaker by Dawkins.

oldo_nicho
regular

Post by oldo_nicho » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:28 pm

The elegant universe is a fantastic book!

I have read a bit about superstrings but they never sat well with me! It just seems that they have fudged the number of wrapped up dimensions so that their mathematics will work :lol: What the hell is 10-dimensional space anyway? 4 is trippy enough! :lol:
But I was forwarded this video a while ago and it did a really good job at expressing how you can visualise n>4 dimensions... You might be interested?

I have the blind watchmaker on my shelf, but haven't gotten round to reading it yet. How are you finding it?
It's about evolution isn't it?

Do you always read science?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:48 pm

Nice,

I have long pondered two diametrically opposite ideas;

1. that the human mind is actually the centre and the meaning and the principal creation of the universe, and also;

2. we are but stardust, as insignificant as an atom in the context of the universe.

and you know, both ideas fill me with the same sense of awe and wonder.

I'll have to pick up The Elegant Universe.

Coops, did you read in the papers this week (I think) about scientists finding a vast, vast, vast region of space inhabited by.......

nothing!

Sounded like they were going to have to rethink some of their theories on the basis of this observation.

Any insights you or old-nicho would like to share for the layman.

I have thought that assuming that something lives on after death (the soul), that as far as it would be in my power, I would take a journey around the physical universe before going to wherever souls go (by definition, somewhere outside the space/time continuum).

Put it in your list of things to do after you die!

special_k
regular

Post by special_k » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:33 pm

oldo_nicho wrote:The elegant universe is a fantastic book!

Yeah it's pretty good.

oldo_nicho wrote:I have read a bit about superstrings but they never sat well with me! It just seems that they have fudged the number of wrapped up dimensions so that their mathematics will work :lol: What the hell is 10-dimensional space anyway? 4 is trippy enough! :lol:
But I was forwarded this video a while ago and it did a really good job at expressing how you can visualise n>4 dimensions... You might be interested?

ol'nicho.......that was incredible! thx for that. 8)

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:48 am

El- nicho the video is great except for the voiceover. His voice creeps me out. Sounds like that ad for paper towel where the guy says stuff like "this is a ball" "this is a shoe" ..if you know the ad i mean.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:51 am

oldo_nicho wrote:The elegant universe is a fantastic book!

I have read a bit about superstrings but they never sat well with me! It just seems that they have fudged the number of wrapped up dimensions so that their mathematics will work :lol: What the hell is 10-dimensional space anyway? 4 is trippy enough! :lol:

Yeah, with String theory, the mathematics is leading the physics at this point. There may never be any observable proof of its existance.

String theory leads into M-Theory which is that there are 5 different kind of strings. All of them theoretically right! :shock: Analogously like if each string is like a finger, M-Theory is the hand.

More than the 11 dimensions required for the theory, String/M theory is about unifying the fundamental forces (Electromagnetic, Weak Nuclear, Strong Nuclear and Gravitational).

It marries the deterministic nature of the Newton/Einstein, classical physics (big stuff) to the unpredictable, chaotic nature of the quantum world. We know that E=Mc2, so energy and mass are interchangable. So these tiny strings (replacing the 'point particle' standard model) vibrate at certain frequencies. These frequecies then translate into the value of the particle, like weight (remember E=mc2).

There is heaps more to go with the theory and it is hoped that this will lead to the Theory of Everything or Grand Unifying Theory of Everything (GUT).

oldo_nicho wrote:I have the blind watchmaker on my shelf, but haven't gotten round to reading it yet. How are you finding it?
It's about evolution isn't it?

Its pretty good, all about Evolution and disproving the need for a complex supernatural helping hand to start life.

oldo_nicho wrote:Do you always read science?

Yes, mostly. But i like true crime books as well. 8)

oldman wrote:Nice,

I have long pondered two diametrically opposite ideas;

1. that the human mind is actually the centre and the meaning and the principal creation of the universe, and also;

2. we are but stardust, as insignificant as an atom in the context of the universe.

and you know, both ideas fill me with the same sense of awe and wonder.

I'll have to pick up The Elegant Universe.

Coops, did you read in the papers this week (I think) about scientists finding a vast, vast, vast region of space inhabited by.......

nothing!

I would like to believe your first statement oldman, but i think its rather the latter.

Yes, there is a good write up about the hole in the Universe found at the link below. Just goes to show what we understand is truly insignificant.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 ... _hole.html

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:58 am

For those interested in the history and formation of the sciences and the way it has shaped them today, i highly reccommed

Quantum Philosophy: Understanding and Interpreting Contemporary Science by Roland Omnes and Arturo Sangalli.

It's amazing to think of the work of Pythagoras given the time in which he lived.For me, it reinstated that the human mind is truly remarkable, even if some theories presented in the early stages of science were simply a good guess at the time :wink:

Nick Carroll
Duke Status

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:36 pm

oldman wrote:1. that the human mind is actually the centre and the meaning and the principal creation of the universe

Got to say I'd be deeply disappointed if that were the case :lol:

Hairy_Joseph

Post by Hairy_Joseph » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:15 am

im studying a chinese medicine degree at uni, just finished reading Franklin Fibs by Paulette Bourgeois. absolutely mind blowing. science explains not only that our reclusive little friends can speak, but they are capable of telling a lie AND they possess a moral compass not unlike mine or yours.Also noteworthy is the revelation of interspecies communication evident in Franklin's friendship with Beaver, Rabbit, Fox and Goose.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:05 pm

oldman wrote:

'In order that we might live, stars in their billions, tens of billions, hundreds of billions even, have died. The iron in our blood, the calcium in our bones, the oxygen that fills our lungs each time we take a breath - all were cooked in the furnaces of the stars which expired long before the earth was born'.

(From BIG BANG by Simon Singh)

You want the truth!? :shock:

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:33 pm

'Dark energy' may mean the end of the Universe
November 22, 2007 - 6:19AM

PARIS, Nov 21 AFP - Astronomers may have unwittingly hastened the end of the Universe by simply looking at it, according to a theory reported in next Saturday's New Scientist.

The novel idea is being aired by two US physicists, who attack the notion that the Universe, believed to have been created in the "Big Bang" some 13.7 billion years ago, will go on, well, forever.

In fact, the poor old cosmos is in a rather delicate state, they say.

Until recently, a common idea was that the energy unleashed in the Big Bang happened when a "false vacuum" - a bubble of high energy with repulsive gravity - broke down into a safe, zero-energy "ordinary" vacuum.

But recent evidence has emerged that places a cosmic question-mark over this cosy thought.

For one thing, cosmologists have discovered that the Universe is still expanding.

And, they believe, a strange, yet-to-be-detected form of energy called dark energy pervades the Universe, which would explain why the sum of all the visible sources of energy fall way short of what should be out there.

Dark energy, goes the thinking, is a result of the Big Bang and is accelerating the Universe's expansion.

If so, the Universe is not in a nice, stable zero-vacuum state but simply another "false vacuum" state that may abruptly decay again - and with cataclysmic consequences.

The energy shift from the decay would destroy everything in the Universe, "wiping the slate clean," says Lawrence Krauss of Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.

The good news is: the longer the Universe survives, the better the chance that it will mature into a stable state. We are just beyond the crucial switching point, believes Krauss.

The bad news is: the quantum effect, a truly weird aspect of physics that says whenever we observe or measure something, we reset its clock. :shock:

Krauss and colleague James Dent point to measurements of light from supernovae in 1998 that provided the first evidence of dark energy.

These measurements may have reset the decay clock of the "false vacuum" back to zero, back before the switching point and to a time when the risk of catastrophic decay was greater than now, say Dent and Krauss.

"Incredible as it seems, our detection of the dark energy may have reduced the life-expectancy of the Universe," says Krauss. :?

"We may have snatched away the possibility of long-term survival for our Universe and made it more likely it will decay."

The report appears in next Saturday's issue of the London-published science weekly.

It says the claim is contested by other astrophysicists and adds reassuringly: "The fact that we are still here means this can't have happened yet."

AFP jfm

vb
Local

Post by vb » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Shite, if the above is correct maybe oldman is also (what with the human mind being a principal force in the scheme of things)

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:23 pm

Damage wrote::shock: 8)

S-Coops, I hope your wearing your anti-RV protective flak jacket.

Flak jackets on, tray tables up and stored in their upright position. Any baggage should be stowed in the overhead lockers.

In coming!

One of the comments from about the video:

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. ~ Carl Sagan

On another note:

Merkaba, also spelled Merkabah, is the divine light vehicle allegedly used by ascended masters to connect with and reach those in tune with the higher realms. "Mer" means Light. "Ka" means Spirit. "Ba" means Body. Mer-Ka-Ba means the spirit/body surrounded by counter-rotating fields of light, (wheels within wheels), spirals of energy as in DNA, which transports spirit/body from one dimension to another.

NINE TENTHS THE SPEED OF LIGHT. This code will tell your mind to increase the speed of the MER-KA-BA to nine tenths the speed of light which will stabilize the rotating field of energy. It will also do something else. This third dimensional universe that we live in is tuned to 9/10 the speed of light. Every electron in your body is rotating around every atom in your body at 9/10 the speed of light.

Lots of common threads of belief in all sorts related to what most would consider ‘alternate’ healing.

Time is our concept... who knows what we are capable of, eh earthbound misfits?

It’s all about numbers. Keep searching ladies. So where do you want to go?