Costa rica chikita

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

brenno05
Local

Costa rica chikita

Post by brenno05 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:28 pm

me and my mates have been giving costa rica a bit of thought as we try and decide on the destination of our first international surf trip....just wondering if any one has been before or what they have heard ect

noticed there are a number of surf camp sorta things or surf safaris which provide accomo and transport to the breaks

read on the tracks travel website that costa has a couple of the worlds longest left handers...im frothing already

aparently the ladies arnt too shabby either

any thoughts, advice, tips ect would be much appreciated

:D

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:40 pm

G'day fella; one word: Go!
Spent two months there 10 years ago (bloody hell where'd the decade go??).
What to say; Pacific coast is crystal water, dream points and black sand beachies and pretty easy travelling. Caribbean coast far more isolated, far more fickle, very very rainy but when it turns on, oh hoochie mumma!! (plus I got to add another ocean/sea to my list!!)
As everyhere it'll be more crowded than 10 years ago, BUT the massive majority of surfers there are yanks, and to put it bluntly, a lot of the seppos who go to the rich coast are, well, pretty kookie.
Mate I reckon you'd have to be a pretty unadventurous traveller to feel the need for surf camp/guide in costa. It's just a great place to explore; if one coast is crap, drive only 6-8 hours and you are on the other.
Pay the bucks and get a 4WD; most seem to hire little Susuki 4WDs but we went the 4runner hire. Glad we did cause some of the potholes would have swallowed a Susuki. Get some mud track 4WD practise in as well; the uncrowded spots can require a bit of adventure driving?
Heaps of cheap accomodation anywhere you look.
Learn some Spanish!
And yes, the chicks are totally and absolutely amazing.
Heaps of cheap pot if that's wht turns you on. Heaps of dirt cheap coke too, but some rather sordid scenes surrounding the marching powder (16-year-old stunnas offering "services" for a snort at one Caribbean town.)
Some of those "longest lefts" are indeed amazing but they are generally river mouths and the water can be beyond filthy.
Plus if you love Attenborough moments the place is one giant wildlife park; crocs in the creeks, sloths in the trees etc etc etc as well as volcanoes etc etc etc along the central mountanous spine of the country.
Worth checking when Yankee school holidays are on too, as crowds leap at those times.
Safety-wise it ain't anywehere as heavy as other parts of central/south America; just the usual cation when leaving stuff around while in the water.
Take some small denomination green backs too _ far better bargaining tool than local currency.
cheers and hope you commit to the trip!

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:04 pm

If you haven't already, watch "Endless Summer 2" and "Amazing Surf Stories"(with Tom Curren and father) - for some Costa Rican action.

If you google you will find some packaged CR surf holidays.

The Aussie who was murdered there about a year ago wasn't a typical incident. Still pays to stay alert (but not alarmed) and beware of set-ups with the local women/conmen.

nomad74

Post by nomad74 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:09 pm

Costa Rica - the most over rated surf desination in Central America
Crowded - expensive and full of US refugees.
If you want long left handers - South America is full of them and very few surfers.
Chile - Peru is the go, and the culture is less tainted.

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:25 pm

Hiya Nomad. Costa ain't that much of a shocka (Then again fair enough maybe lots has changed in 10 years). But it looks like Brenno's first trip and Costa IMHO better destination than Chile/Peru for an OS virgin. And no need to lug around a 4/3 steamer/booties/rashie, 2nd steamer or the early sesion etc like you'd need in colder waters of south america. Costa exotic enough but also familiar enough for a first OS surf adventure.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:24 am

Hi Brenno,
I've been twice. Got an uncle who's been living there for 25 years.
It's gotten WAY more crowded in the last ten years, like everywhere else.
Still, ticos are friendly, especially on the west coast, and the country is 'surfer friendly,' the girls are too. East coast(Caribbean) is more sketchy, more drugs and crime.
If I was you, I'd head south, towards Pavonnes. Now is their "Green Season", (rainy) 4wd a necessity. Plenty of waves, from the south, and warm water. You'll love the lush countryside. Volcanoes are cool, too.
The more Spanish you know, the better.
You'll have a great time for a first time trip.
Cheers

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:27 pm

nomad74 wrote:Costa Rica - the most over rated surf desination in Central America
If you want long left handers - South America is full of them and very few surfers.
I'm with you-I've been to CR a heap of times and it's fun-but Indonesia has 10 times the waves and wave quality-as does Chile and Peru. THE left is Pavones-BUT it's seedy and fickle-the W coast water is generally muddy and brown-chocolate barrels-due to the rivermouth flow. E coast has clear water-but it's very sketchy and very fickle.

For a first trip overseas it's a safe and 'exotic' destination-but it's not great as far as surf goes-at least when compared to S America and Indo.

Just my 2 cents.

Matt

nomad74

Post by nomad74 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:49 am

it all boils down to - what are you going for and how hard do you want to go ?
Costa is very middle of the road.
Learn some lingo and you will be able to get out of the surf tour domain.
Santa Catalina - Panama - pumps with no crowds and picks up heaps of swell.
It`s all about how much time you got too. Having done a couple of road trips from US to Argentina, the more time you have the better.
Pura Vida - Loco

stuwat011

Speaking of South America

Post by stuwat011 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:42 pm

Hi there! Yeah, speaking of south america, im going there for the first time next year around september. any cool places or hints you could trow my way...
nomad74 wrote:Costa Rica - the most over rated surf desination in Central America

loco4olas
charger

Re: Speaking of South America

Post by loco4olas » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:49 pm

stuwat011 wrote:Hi there! Yeah, speaking of south america, im going there for the first time next year around september. any cool places or hints you could trow my way...
Learn some Spanish before you go.

Check out all of Chile and northern Peru-there's so much surf there-Galapagos too if you can get out there-HEAPS of info on-line.

Matt

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:18 pm

i would say go for sure
its a great experience if your a Aussie. North Americans are a little used to American Spanish culture as we are to Indonesian.... and yes learn Spanish!!!
just remember when you travel there by American airlines they charge over $100(US) per surfboard each way!!!!It could have changed by now.
stay away from San Jose at night .I saved two tourists from being mugged on two separate occasions.
people are friendly.
Pacific ocean...black sand(except for small section)small perfect waves.laid back,
Caribbean....heavy waves on occasion and sometimes heavy non surfing locals.
definitely include a quick trip across the border to Panama and beyond.
be careful there are vices there that will make you want to stay.

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:31 pm

thanks for the comments guys, i really appreciate it....

basically this is the situation

i havent been on an O/S surf trip before so im looking for a place with sum good waves (nothing too crazy) and sum scenery and culture
definatly looking for adventure but dont really want to be doing too much exploration so i guess you could say the middle ground
me and my mates are all 19-20 years old

so yea pretty much looking for a place with sum good surf, sumthing different and sumthing we will enjoy

costa sounds good because of the surf (left handers yeooww), tropical nature having boardies instead of steamers, its cheap, and its not too sketchy

keep the comments comming, any info is helpful

thanks again

willie
barnacle

Post by willie » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:00 am

i heard yamba's better brenno :wink:

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:31 am

on the pacific you have both good rights and lefts.over there you can get food gratis everytime you buy a drink.Im not sure what level you are at but if your a pretty average surfer and you dont mind buying a board there i would recommend( to save money) buy a board at playa jaco(pronounced playa hako).its one of the first coastal towns you get to on the pacific side from san jose. playa hermosa is probably the next coastal town south worth staying at. then off to dominical for some fun waves.actually just south of there is a great left hand reef.Pavones(spelling?) generally needs a bigger swell to break so you can be there for a few days before its surfable and when its good its usually crawlling with florida mal riders.there are good waves all over the place...you will just have to find them(say no more) :wink:
GO TO PANAMA!!!!! its awesome

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:22 am

brenno05 wrote:thanks for the comments guys, i really appreciate it....

basically this is the situation

i havent been on an O/S surf trip before so im looking for a place with sum good waves (nothing too crazy) and sum scenery and culture
definatly looking for adventure but dont really want to be doing too much exploration so i guess you could say the middle ground
me and my mates are all 19-20 years old

so yea pretty much looking for a place with sum good surf, sumthing different and sumthing we will enjoy

costa sounds good because of the surf (left handers yeooww), tropical nature having boardies instead of steamers, its cheap, and its not too sketchy

keep the comments comming, any info is helpful

thanks again
I gotta’ say-if you've never been O/S before and you're after a surf trip with a bunch of mates and you want culture and cheap $ and good waves etc. - go to Bali/Indo-there is SO much good surf there and it's a sure thing from May to October (so long as you have a few weeks) and if things go pear shaped-you're very close to help. CR is a loooong way from home and you'll blow HEAPS of $ just getting there from here-those $ can be put to better use exploring Indo and a side trip boat trip or an overland sojourn.

Think about it-once you've done that the rest of the world is your oyster-particularly at your age.

Matt

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:18 pm

willie wrote:i heard yamba's better brenno :wink:
hahaha

thanks for the comments guys again, really appreciate the info...its a big call and i want to make sure i have as much info on the destinations ive narrowed it down to before i make a decision....it will probably be the beginning of my O/S surf trips so maybe bali/indo myt be a good idea, altho costa sounds good just because it is sumwhere different

but yea i will have a think about it find out sum prices and make the call

thanks again...appreciate it

doug
Grommet

Post by doug » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:22 pm

From what Ive heard june/ july is the best time of year for swell on west coast of central america (cyclone swells) and most of south america (southerly swells). I am however going to Argentina Dec / Jan to visit inlaws does anyone know where might get swell in south or centarl america at this time of year.?