Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:56 am

you've really read the room wrong on this one Godsave.

Perfectly entitled to your opinion of course.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:22 am

The room full of middleaged angry corelords you mean? Well yes. Of course. But in a month will anyone be talking about the WSL’s gaslighting? Of course not

I know the ‘WSL stole my birthright’ thing is popular with your readership but I think on this occasion it was right and proper just to celebrate an astonishing piece of competition surfing and save the grumbling for another day
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:35 am

Probably not in a month.

But come Teahupoo, the whole thing will light up again, and Pipe 2023 will be here in a heartbeat.

WSL has backed themselves into a massive corner and by cranking up the hype to 11, and gaslighting the audience guaranteed they are throwing their female athletes under a bus.

What are they going to do when Chopes is 8-10ft for Finals Day?

Radio silence and then try and find some mealy-mouthed excuse to wait for a smaller day?

They have a huge problem: a dedicated equality agenda on a schedule packed with heavy water waves where a big chunk of the womens field ( a majority?) is not up to it.

Goanna
Grommet

Post by Goanna » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:45 am

offshore1 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:36 am
From a business/marketing standpoint you HAVE TO appeal to the female audience, they buy most of the surf companies' high margin clothing.
Ask any surf shop owner, profit comes from selling apparel, not boards.
So why do my boards cost $1000 a pop #*!

Goanna
Grommet

Post by Goanna » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:49 am

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:35 am
Probably not in a month.

But come Teahupoo, the whole thing will light up again, and Pipe 2023 will be here in a heartbeat.
Have WSL decided to run the women's and men's events side-by-side at the same venues during the same windows now? I was under the impression that there were always distinct venues for each, eg. the men's leg might be at Margaret River at the same time the women are in Florida. Not great for families that have multiple kids competing but c'est la vie

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:52 am

Does it matter that the ability of the women in big waves is not as good as the men when it comes to renumeration?

How should their renumeration be ascertained?
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:57 am

Not to me.

I have zero opinion on their remuneration; that's up to the governing body.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:58 am

Goanna wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:49 am
steve shearer wrote:
Probably not in a month.

Have WSL decided to run the women's and men's events side-by-side at the same venues during the same windows now?
Yes, fully integrated tour.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:07 am

steve shearer wrote:
Probably not in a month.

WSL has backed themselves into a massive corner and by cranking up the hype to 11, and gaslighting the audience guaranteed they are throwing their female athletes under a bus.

Radio silence and then try and find some mealy-mouthed excuse to wait for a smaller day?

They have a huge problem: a dedicated equality agenda on a schedule packed with heavy water waves where a big chunk of the womens field ( a majority?) is not up to it.
Or a Box day (maybe even North Point) at Margaret River

Or G-Land.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:09 am

If women as fearless and talented as the women skiers ever start surfing we'll be getting somewhere.
Pipe was a disappointingly sad showing.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:12 am

steve shearer wrote:
Probably not in a month.

Some will have a dig, others won’t. Then next time a few more will have a dig and a few less of the others won’t. And so on

The point has been made that they shouldn’t be serving their apprenticeship out there but I think the complete opposite. Give the women the opportunity, give them some time and the standard will surely improve. You say there’s a huge problem, but the women’s comp at pipe ran. It finished and it featured some pretty chunky waves being ridden pretty well. The women all now know that the wsl is serious about putting them out there when it’s outside many of their comfort zones, that they weren’t just paying lip service to the level playing field. I expect you’re right that, objectively, the next couple of years will be a bit of shitshow if the heavy water spots deliver, but if the wsl sticks to its guns the 2022 season will likely be looked back on as a genuine turning point
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:17 am

Goanna wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:45 am
offshore1 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:36 am
From a business/marketing standpoint you HAVE TO appeal to the female audience, they buy most of the surf companies' high margin clothing.
Ask any surf shop owner, profit comes from selling apparel, not boards.
So why do my boards cost $1000 a pop #*!
And two lengths of string with three small patches of cloth costs a hundred smackers.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:04 am

The women’s event was a marketing catastrophe. Embarrassing communications, scheduling nightmare, obfuscation and amplification of the gulf between the men and women,

A once a year crack at Pioe won’t do much. God knows they won’t get solid waves out there when the comp isn’t on. So the whole “they need time out there” doesn’t wash.

I didn’t bother watching the girls at Pipe. Honalua Bay, Snapper, Keramas..anywhere else sure.

They aren’t my daughters, I’m not here to clap them on like a proud grandparent at the school athletic carnival .
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:07 am

Catastrophe? You reckon? Maybe from the viewpoint of the thousand or so tragics watching live and the hundred or so who read beachgrit and swellnet but I’m sure the WSL ‘socials’ painted a very different story
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:11 am

The men’s was great. To be sure. But, as a unisex event it’s put the women back years.

The WSL IG went deathly quite re: woman’s event , when the woman’s was delayed.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:14 am

For the women, there are 2 new challenges. One is the new heavy water locations and secondly they are lefts. I reckon the second one is at least as significant. They’ve rarely had lefts in the WSL era. For example, Tyler Wright won 2 world championships while happily admitting that she doesn’t really have a backhand. Similarly, Steph Gilmore is not confident going left and seems to avoid it at every opportunity. You could say they are, at best, intermediate surfers on their backhands but are being asked to surf heavy lefts in comps. Some of the other regular foots would be in the same boat. I hope they are focussing on getting their backhands up to scratch. Johanne Defay has been the the regular foot exception. She has won 2 events, Cloudbreak and GLand (amend, actually Uluwatu). It was commented in the coverage of both events that Johanne was one of the few righties with a strong backhand.

The women will go pretty well at Sunset.
Last edited by foamy on Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:18 am

Traditionally a weak spot for Gold Coast natural footers.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:20 am

For a bloke who constantly derides all things Australia ... its funny how Godsavethepedofilesmother has found a favourite new word for himself ... CORE-LORD is of Aussie origin, and to make matters even worse, he's missed the point of its usage completely ... the silly fucken bore-lord.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.