Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:36 pm

Very sad.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:04 am

Need some advice/tips

I'm going to have a few days to kill over the Xmas and New Years break and was thinking of taking a road trip down Southern California to surf some nice point breaks and beachies

I was thinking to base myself somewhere around San Clemente, that way I'm not more than an hour or two by car from most places, followed by heading back up the coast and maybe spending a day round Santa Barbara.

Thoughts? Good/bad idea? Any better places you'd recommend?
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:07 am

Carroll would know.

I'd recommend La Jolla. Lots of good waves around. fun things for wife/kids to do.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:25 am

Yeah, north county san Diego.
Stay around Solana Beach.
Surf the stretch from San Elijo to Swami's for consistency and hot female longboarders, Blacks if it gets big, Del Mar reefs if it doesn't.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:17 am

I dunno about that, I'd watch the forecast a bit. North of LA is way better. You'll think you're an hour from anything in San Clemente but those freeways are hell, everything takes longer than you think.

If you do go south of LA, go well down like boo suggests or further, just stay down there, Encinitas air bnb or such. Like shearer says the family will probs enjoy that better anyway. Every single spot down there will be packed so just suck it up.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:23 am

Got it thanks fellas, will keep those in mind. I had intended to go a fair way down South so I'll look into AirBnB's in those spots

NC - Re: North of LA, how far mate? Ventura? Santa Barbara? Looking at that coastline I'm guessing the more W and SW swell directions are going to be what I should look for?
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:40 am

Grooter wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:23 am
... Looking at that coastline I'm guessing the more W and SW swell directions are going to be what I should look for?
So you're going at the worst time of year for any kind of south swell.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:58 am

Ventura and Santa Babs need W through NW swell.

pretty narrow swell window for Santa Babs.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:30 am

Grooter wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:23 am
Got it thanks fellas, will keep those in mind. I had intended to go a fair way down South so I'll look into AirBnB's in those spots

NC - Re: North of LA, how far mate? Ventura? Santa Barbara? Looking at that coastline I'm guessing the more W and SW swell directions are going to be what I should look for?
nah the Channel Islands block most sth swell out of the area, what you want is W and NW. There's some epic surf in the area, a lot of which everyone is kinda scared of because heavy locals, but there aren't any heavy locals any more. The window is a bit wider than shearer's saying, a lot of NW refracts back in on to the coast. Ventura county line up to Rincon, C-street etc, and Oxnard beachies are nuts. Silverstrand's probably the best beachie in CA other than OB San Fran on its day. Careful where you park your car though lol.

Further north again past the Ranch/Pt Concepcion, Jalama is fantastic on its day, picks up way more swell again from the NW but is heavily wind affected.

Sth swells in Dec are not unheard of, if so that's when southern Orange County comes into play esp Lowers and Uppers. You'd have fun there I'm sure and it might be cool for the fam to take the walk down to Trestles and back.

I kind of feel like North County SD is about the kookiest surf zone in CA, mental crowds of incompetent posers, bad SUPpers and self conscious Sprinter-van types with too much gear. Further south again Black's is fabulous on a longer interval NW, lots of other waves down there, the reefs along Sunset Cliffs are really fun but man there's some pretend locals there.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:58 am

Here's a gun for Legion:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mosman- ... 1262833731

Phil Myers Thruster,6 channel Light Board, as new,3 fin,6’10” x 19 3/4 x 2 3/4.

“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:52 pm

NC, Shearer et al - thanks heaps for the advice and insight. I'll plan my trip around that and the swell. Will post back with experiences later on

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:55 pm

Cranked wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:58 am
Here's a gun for Legion:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mosman- ... 1262833731

Phil Myers Thruster,6 channel Light Board, as new,3 fin,6’10” x 19 3/4 x 2 3/4.

That’d be one of the Sideways models made in Bali. They go OK but don’t last too well.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:00 pm

Ah, I see.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:05 pm

Santa Barbara is really nice. We stayed around there. Had a trip down to Rincon and Ventura. Lots of points around there. Checked out Sandspit. Would have had a grovel if it was a bit bigger.
Saw a few punchy beach breaks around Cambria which is further north. Nothing like the epic points but looked fun.
Also Hearsts Castle is there which I reckon is a must see along with Big Sur of course.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:00 pm

Some big swell is on the way over here next week. A surfer went missing at Ocean Beach in SF the other day as well.

Noticed a wee bit of localism and aggro in the water this morning at Santa Cruz - seems to be more prevalent in these bigger winter swells.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:04 pm

lots of localism when I was there.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:05 pm

There's footage of some guy taking about fifty waves on the head as he attempts to paddle out at Ocean Beach. Takes him about forty minutes or something.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:13 pm

you guys should go watch the Pipe or Sunset cams right now on Surfline, see a new Hawaii swell hitting on twilight

tomorrow's gonna be so on over there.