Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bobjs
Harry the Hat

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by bobjs » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:23 pm

I reckon most young physically able teenagers could learn to surf if they really wanted to and could devote enough time to it. The thing is, the reality of learning to surf and surfing doesn’t appeal to a lot of people. It’s physically exhausting, often cold and lonely and can be scary at times. So they need to be risk takers or just really love it. That cuts out a lot of people.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:28 pm

Also traditionally popular with misfits for the same reason.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:49 pm

Cranked, I was just referring to the time elapsed between starting from zero and being able to ride an easy wave. The very stable board, the big paddle and no pop-up solve a lot of problems.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:17 am

Last edited by Slobadan Madicubich on Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:39 am

I dunno, Iggy's still in nappies.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:19 am

bobjs wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:23 pm
I reckon most young physically able teenagers could learn to surf if they really wanted to and could devote enough time to it. The thing is, the reality of learning to surf and surfing doesn’t appeal to a lot of people. It’s physically exhausting, often cold and lonely and can be scary at times. So they need to be risk takers or just really love it. That cuts out a lot of people.
ie, it's too fucking hard for most people to learn.

compare with riding a bike, which is fcuking easy.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:36 am

bobjs wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:23 pm
That and it is actually quite a complex thing to do due to the variables that determine where you can surf, when, what board etc.... It can take years just to "know" this stuff, cams and forecasts have definitely helped but they're still macro level.

I think that is what has kept me in the water for 30-odd years, not because I am any good at it(I actually have pretty shitty balance for one thing), but because I like the complex challenges it always throws up.

Cycling, running bores the shit out of me because to change the dynamics and not ride/run the same old trails you have to move around. Surfing I can get it all in one location. Skiing probably would bore me too although I've never tried it.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:40 am

I’ve pub crawled commuting on a bike 20 beers deep on a number of occasions and got home.
I don’t think I could have surfed though.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:46 am

How often to you fall off your surfboard (not including bailing), how often do you fall off your bike?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:52 am

There are heaps of people who get to the stage of having a decent pop-up and cruising across the wave, and that’s when they give it up. They give it up not because it is too hard, but because they don’t find surfing compelling enough to continue. They enjoyed their surfing foray, but now prefer to do something different.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:10 am

can one of you know it all cnuts please tell me what the fcuk is a pop-up?

I don't even know if I do a pop-up.

ps: I think only about 5% of surf school grads keep surfing and many of those are done in about three years, you need a lot of stuff working for you if you're going to keep surfing and get actually good at it. a) start young b) be close to a consistent surf zone c) have a peer group d) have at least neutrality in the family about your disgusting surfing behaviour e) have a larger local group of skilled surfers for you to grow toward f) have access to increasingly better boards g) be willing to be scared shitless.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:11 am

Gender doesn't matter even though everyone used to think it did.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:11 am

Windswell matters a hell of a lot, surf in 6-8 second interval wind swell for the first two years of your life and you've got a big jump on a lot of other surfers. You'll have just caught way more waves by then.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:21 am

The combination of skills required and they way they have to chime together means that you will go through long periods of plateauing skill levels, then experience sudden jumps to the next plateau. These jumps will sometimes be triggered by an extraordinary surf or series of surfs, or a new board, but more often just come from endless repetition. Trouble is, once you've made that jump, your new level needs a challenge for you to keep moving and progressing. A LOT of surfers get to a plateau and never find the next challenge. They may keep surfing for a long time but nothing much changes. I sense this is true for almost every Realsurfer, and I don't mean that as a put down at all.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:22 am

Oh and given the time you'd need to spend purely riding waves in order to reach your true potential skill level, I dunno if any surfer ever has done that -- got to his or her true potential.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:36 am

foamy wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:52 am
There are heaps of people who get to the stage of having a decent pop-up and cruising across the wave, and that’s when they give it up. They give it up not because it is too hard, but because they don’t find surfing compelling enough to continue. They enjoyed their surfing foray, but now prefer to do something different.
Thats not been my experience.

Which is ten years as a surf coach/guide and having seen two kids go through various stages of learn to surf and all their peer groups.

Collectively I've seen thousands embark on the journey and a very, very low percentage rate of maintaining. Way, way less than 5%.

I've never seen a single adult learner progress to the competent stage, although I have heard it can happen.

There are a lot of box tickers, but I hardly think those dabblers can have been said to have had a surfing foray.

Most who do progress to that stage give up because they have careers in the city, other interests etc etc. Surfing, when you are stuck in the babyfood spiral is very hard to progress onwards.
ie it's too hard. Too little reward.

I think that is different from finding it not compelling enough.

There are also, a surprisingly high percentage of people who actively don't like it.

It's easy to have a dabble. V. hard to continue on.

which is the direct opposite of bike riding.

Bike riding is easy to learn and easy to continue on.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:07 pm

I’m really regretting using that analogy :roll:

Let me put it this way. I was surprised that after a 9 month hiatus, I found I really hadn’t lost much skill wise. Just fitness.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:09 pm

It was a great way for us to spaz out though, BA. Some more than others.