HIRT

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

HIRT

Post by steve shearer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:19 pm

what are your thoughts on this Leej?

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/hiit-versus-hirt

HIRT reduces long-term stress on the body that comes from HIIT training. The key component of HIRT is to maintain effort and power on each and every repeat.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: HIRT

Post by Cranked » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:50 pm

That is extremely interesting Steve.

I've been doing HIIT training for swimming, running, push-ups/pull-ups, but mainly swimming. For swimming I'm doing 4 laps at medium pace then one at 100%, repeated 4 times. I get slower and slower and more exhausted after each rep. But it seem using HIRT instead I can do less and gain more fitness. So I can do it more frequently and use stretching in between reps as I recover.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:04 pm

F45 is HIIT. It’s not that hard. Not like running 20km. You want to be fit, run 20 kilometres. That includes surf fit
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:09 pm

nah. running 20km has nothing to with surf fitness.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:16 pm

I agree with your assessment about “2 weeks out” and it’s difficult. But, that’s timing.

Weight and lung capacity are key.

So, I think Im disagreeing with you. But not being difficult
Beanpole wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:19 pm

running 20k will make you less surf fit, not more.

lung capacity for surfing?

try holding your breath.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:19 pm

Yes, MM.

I guess it’s all personal. I surf pretty much surf 5 times a week. When I want to work on the fitness side, I’ll run like Forrest Gump. It helps me. Doing weights, shuttles etc...does sweet FA.
Last edited by Thud on Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beanpole wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:21 pm

Cranked wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:50 pm
That is extremely interesting Steve.

I've been doing HIIT training for swimming, running, push-ups/pull-ups, but mainly swimming. For swimming I'm doing 4 laps at medium pace then one at 100%, repeated 4 times. I get slower and slower and more exhausted after each rep. But it seem using HIRT instead I can do less and gain more fitness. So I can do it more frequently and use stretching in between reps as I recover.
I thought the stuff about longevity and avoiding cell damage was interesting.

been doing it for a week now.

it's good. easy to do, which means you're more likely to do it.

I've been doing kettle bell swings with a 20kg kettlebell.

you do 10 sets of 10. you've swung 2 tonnes.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:22 pm

Do it for 45 minute with cardio (run up and down your stairs). Don’t stop for 45 minutes to 60.

Can you do it? Let us know.
Beanpole wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:34 pm

I could, but why would I ?

did you read the article?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:38 pm

I did. I think it’s bunk. Mainly because he was training Olympic athletes already trained from an inch of their lives. Like taking a thoroughbred race horse for a few gallops. Doesn’t apply to normal, older humans. I think HIIT would be better IMHO.

But, I could be wrong of course.

Do it, and tell us how you feel. In and out of the water. Say after 2-3 months. And we’ll see, I guess.
Beanpole wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:42 pm

his point is that HIIT in the long run exacts too heavy a toll on the body to be sustainable.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:44 pm

Mate, there’s a ton of 60 somethings doing HIIT at F45 gyms. A lot (I’ve met a few) have been doing it for years. They are pretty ****. But, long term. Who knows really. I mean, who has tracked that? Him?

That aside. What’s your view on paddle boarding? Serious question
Beanpole wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:51 pm

paddling clubby boards?

thats a Carroll question I think.

F45 is not intense. I've seen them, its lame.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:59 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:19 pm
what are your thoughts on this Leej?

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/hiit-versus-hirt

HIRT reduces long-term stress on the body that comes from HIIT training. The key component of HIRT is to maintain effort and power on each and every repeat.
Have you read anything about super-responders and non-responders steve? Last I saw, admittedly many years ago in a Michael Mosely telly programme, was that for something like 20% of the population HIIT (and presumably HIRT??) doesn't work at all and only around 15% will experience significant gains (super-responders) from it. The rest will improve but I can't remember by how much. Beyond an academic interest I'm not really concerned (I enjoy doing a couple of hours of cardio and not looking to change) but it would be interesting to know if the sample in your article was entirely representative of the wider population
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:45 pm

A bit more info.

(There's two different HIRTs, this is from R=repeat)
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/hiit-vs-hirt/

Marker explains that there’s an optimal duration for sprinting where you can obtain maximum benefits with minimal cellular destruction, and this is typically around 15-20 seconds. Try to maintain maximum effort for any longer than that and you’re not really sprinting anymore anyway, since it’s impossible to maintain maximum energy output.

Here’s why this works:

Look at what’s happening physiologically over the duration of a near-maximum intensity sprint of any kind (running, cycling, rowing, or kettlebell swings). During the first five seconds of your sprint, lactate starts to accumulate in the bloodstream. Lactate levels double between five to ten seconds, then double again from 10 seconds to 20 seconds—up to what Marker calls the highest acceptable level. As you increasingly feel the burn, lactate doubles again from 20 seconds to 30 seconds. It doubles again from 30 seconds to 60 seconds, causing cellular destruction, ammonia toxicity, and extended recovery time.

As Marker explains, “The amount of lactic acid produced up to 20 seconds [of sprinting] is still manageable, but the next doubling is over the top. Even a single 30-second sprint spikes ammonia levels almost five times! Why trash the body for no good reason? Rebuilding broken down cells is a costly and time-consuming process. And while it’s taking place, you feel tired and run down, with your ATP short of a full stack.”

You may be familiar with the Tabata concept of interval training, which entails a repeating pattern of work efforts lasting twice as long as rest intervals until you complete a Tabata set of a certain total duration. The original Tabata protocol, developed by Japanese physician and researcher Dr. Izumi Tabata and colleagues at the Japanese Institute of Fitness and Sport in Tokyo, calls for four minutes of a 20-second sprint, 10-second rest, 20-second sprint, 10-second rest pattern. In the original studies, Japanese Olympic speed skaters achieved massive boosts in VO2 Max in a short time with Tabata training. Unfortunately, the original Tabata concept has been widely misappropriated into workouts that honor the 2:1 work-to-rest ratio, but carry on for too long and generate cellular damage and exhaustion: multiple sets of kettlebell swings, pushups, box jumps, running sprints, cycling sprints, and so forth. Bottom line with sprint workouts: a little goes a long way, and too much can really mess you up.

How To Transition From HIIT To HIRT
To transition into a more effective, less stressful high intensity workout pattern, pick the sweet spot of 10-20 seconds for your explosive efforts. Take what Marker calls “luxurious” rest intervals to ensure that your cells have a chance to partially or fully regenerate ATP (takes around three minutes) and minimize the disassembling and deamination that occur when you ask your body to perform again and again with rapidly depleting cellular energy.

Finally, conduct between 4 and 10 sprints. You should be able to manage four shorts sprints even if you’re a novice. If you claim you can complete more than 10 and feel great, you’re better off going faster and doing fewer more explosively.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:14 pm

A Q&A:

Hrvoje1 year ago
What is the duration of rest periods then? And can we apply the same for high intensity resistance training?

jacob1 year ago
The duration of the rest is different for everyone. You rest until your heart rate drops back to normal, you can breathe normally and feel you can go just as hard for 15-20 seconds again.
It’s pretty simple , just listen to your body. For me, if I use an Airbike for my HIITs ( Now i realise i have been doing HIRTs all this time ) and my rest period can be up to 4 minutes and i can go about 6 times before my output drops.
There is no formula or set time becasue everyone is different.
I initially did those so called HIIT classes, 30-45 secons effort, 30-45 seconds rest. All for 45 minutes.
There is no way i was doing max effort this long and that often for 45 minutes, byt yeah, i felt great after. And trashed the day after. Even tho i like those classes because sometimes it’s nice to have someone tell you what to do, i dont think they’d be very popular if people were told torest 3 minutes and just stand around when music is blearing and it’s all about “come on, yeah, harder”
Just imagine seeing a calss with 20 people just standing there for 3 minutes and only actually “train” 15-20 seconds…

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:11 am

been doing it Cranked?

I'm almost 3 weeks in.

feeling good.