Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:40 pm

Sounds exciting! Where are you planning to hit? Waist high Sandon again? Or that fat wonky beachie?
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:53 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:32 pm
black duck wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:27 pm
Well, here's the rub. There are guards at the entrance to Bendalong road off the highway, GUARDS, checking licences and rate notices so that if you are not a resident, YOU DON'T GET IN. All the holiday rental houses are empty. All the caravan parks are empty. The local shop is closed. There is nobody around. It's locals only and THE SURF IS FCUKING SHIT.
Well it's gonna BOMB FROM THE SOUTH on Monday with light winds turning NE so go to DEPOT BOMBIE and get fcuking BARRELLED!
Don't think i could get in there. Besides the fact that just paddling to the break would probably be enough for me to require an AFTERNOON SNOOZE.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:11 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:44 pm
Pretty wild stuff, Duck. So everyone can get out for supplies I guess. You can entertain yourself monitoring Nicks latest surf prediction.
Yes, locals can to and fro for supplies. It's still burning in patches on Bendy road and trees are still dropping, or being dropped while they install new power poles (timber of course, so they can burn down in the next fire). The burning timber is mostly hollow logs and such sending out smoke signals.

The bird life at cunji point has increased 3 fold at least over the last few days. All sorts of squabbles going on between entrenched locals and blow ins for the available food. It's sort of a bit between season's here, especially for the honey eaters. A lot of the local flowering has finished and doesn't really get going again till autumn so there's not a lot available for the honey eaters at present. The local wattle birds are fcuking indignant about the situation, if i can anthropomorphise a term that describes what i'm seeing. The native wildlife food situation looks particularly scarce at present given the relatively large tracts of land that have been burnt.
smnmntll wrote:

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:12 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:40 pm
Sounds exciting! Where are you planning to hit? Waist high Sandon again? Or that fat wonky beachie?
Totally wrong conditions for Sandon. But ideal for a trusty south facing Sydney reef.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:13 pm

Hope you have been leaving some water out for them, Duck.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:31 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:13 pm
Hope you have been leaving some water out for them, Duck.
Water's not so much the issue Beany, although i have been putting water out. It's more about food. Water is a scarce as it was previously, besides the early morning dew on flowers which i think counts for a reasonable portion of a honey eater's daily intake. Feeding black cockatoos and other birds that have similar diets is tricky, the casuarinas and bottle brush cones are gone and the black cockatoos aren't like the king parrots, they don't tend to want to interact as readily with humans so they don't tend to go for seed put out by people trying to help them. Maybe it will change if they get a bit more desperate but i think a lot will die. The distances they need to travel now without guarantee of a feed are quite vast. Just my empirical non scientific view.
smnmntll wrote:

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:34 pm

black duck wrote:
Well, here's the rub. There are guards at the entrance to Bendalong road off the highway, GUARDS, checking licences and rate notices so that if you are not a resident, YOU DON'T GET IN. All the holiday rental houses are empty. All the caravan parks are empty. The local shop is closed. There is nobody around. It's locals only and THE SURF IS FCUKING SHIT.
Who are these guards Duck? Cops? If not, who is paying them?

Odd that every suggestion is to visit the south coast to get the local economy turning. Is that the only place on the coast like that?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:38 pm

Seen a couple of ringtail possums squashed on the road around the area in the last couple of weeks. Drove through Centennial Park today and most of the lakes are nearly dry. Ibis are everywhere. They can dig into the mud for food...and bins of course. Geese look crook. Swans are looking a bit down as well.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:39 pm

channels wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:34 pm
black duck wrote:

Odd that every suggestion is to visit the south coast to get the local economy turning. Is that the only place on the coast like that?
there's that but there's also official warnings not to visit the South Coast. A few mixed messages. Sure when things get cleared up but you would be putting a lot of strain on places right now.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:54 pm

channels wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:34 pm
black duck wrote:

Not cops generally now, they stopped doing it a few days ago. Seems to be all sorts, National parks guys, council road guys and local guys with some quasi certificate and a hi viz jacket. Not sure about payment, assume they are paid. Some of them seem to enjoy being bureaucratic cnuts and some are cool.
Not sure how many villages are doing it but there is plenty of mixed messages out there. Infrastructure is still a shambles, they're still struggling to get power on and therefore don't seem to be wanting any additional load at the moment, regardless of the business need. Tourist season is finished due to this, no matter what the media says. Nobodies coming down. It's fcuking bleak. Maybe a few goths will turn up to trudge through the blackened stumps and ash. Not sure about further south but Jervis (in part), Sussex, Bendalong, Conjola and Fishermans all have locals only traffic. I think Jervis has general access now.
smnmntll wrote:

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:20 pm

Signal is still up and down here as well. Can take 10 mins or more to post a text on RS. So 3rd world.
smnmntll wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:43 pm

Nielsen Park about the biggest I've seen it this arvo. Nearly head high in the sets. Should have chucked the foamy in for a novelty surf. Packed and some people even surfing inside the nets.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:52 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:43 pm
Nielsen Park about the biggest I've seen it this arvo. Nearly head high in the sets. Should have chucked the foamy in for a novelty surf. Packed and some people even surfing inside the nets.
Yeah, nothing about Neilsen Park excites me at all

https://www.facebook.com/654768775/post ... ry_index=1

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:58 pm

Yeah, but your jaded and world weary.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:21 pm

Should be some interesting banks about of Narra lagoon opening is any guide.

https://www.facebook.com/12326294444168 ... 987958292/

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:34 pm

Yes in peoples lounge rooms. Those buildings have had it, eventually
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:28 pm

chunk swell on the way gents, hoping for some blue sky and clean water, which maybe asking too much
smnmntll wrote:

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:42 pm

Yep, forecast seems fairly close to how cyclone Wati tracked. That was exceptional for this part of the world so hoping for similar again.