The Tulla Tub

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Butts, beach_defender, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

channels
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5137
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by channels » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:30 pm

pinhead wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:14 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:59 pm
pinhead wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:14 pm
Hatchnam wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:51 am
Were there many parking spots? Asking for a humoon
People will come just for the parking. The Urbn surf car park is huge - also its on the edge of an airport/industrial zone with plenty of street parking to absorb overflow.
So you could drive down from Sydney for a morning surf if you liked driving long distances :-D-:
I could see a lot of people fitting in a surf as part of any trip to Melbourne. Lot of business trips involve having to kill an hour or two waiting for your flight.
I would. On the days i get the 7am flight to Melbourne and aim to get a 5.30pm flight back to Sydney, i get zero exercise except a walk at lunch.

Change the flight to a 7pm, and drop by the pool. Perhaps not a 7 degree winter afternoon in Melbourne though.

User avatar
pinhead
barnacle
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by pinhead » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:38 pm

channels wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:30 pm
pinhead wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:14 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:59 pm
pinhead wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:14 pm
Hatchnam wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:51 am
Were there many parking spots? Asking for a humoon
People will come just for the parking. The Urbn surf car park is huge - also its on the edge of an airport/industrial zone with plenty of street parking to absorb overflow.
So you could drive down from Sydney for a morning surf if you liked driving long distances :-D-:
I could see a lot of people fitting in a surf as part of any trip to Melbourne. Lot of business trips involve having to kill an hour or two waiting for your flight.
I would. On the days i get the 7am flight to Melbourne and aim to get a 5.30pm flight back to Sydney, i get zero exercise except a walk at lunch.

Change the flight to a 7pm, and drop by the pool. Perhaps not a 7 degree winter afternoon in Melbourne though.
Yep. They'll probably have an online board and wetty reservation system. It'd cost you $80 for boardbag checked so most people would be ok with it.
daryl wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 am
We were waiting to get a donkey until it killed someone

buddy
barnacle
Posts: 2331
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by buddy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:53 pm

With Jetstar.
You can check in luggage inc. boards with virgin for free.

User avatar
pinhead
barnacle
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by pinhead » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:35 pm

buddy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:53 pm
With Jetstar.
You can check in luggage inc. boards with virgin for free.
Sweet. Though finding a cab that'll fit them is a hassle. Urbn surf will probably have an on demand shuttle going in the warmer months.
daryl wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 am
We were waiting to get a donkey until it killed someone

User avatar
pinhead
barnacle
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by pinhead » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:29 pm

Video from the Bristol Basin

https://youtu.be/P6Qzu_RI90w
daryl wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 am
We were waiting to get a donkey until it killed someone

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 38897
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Cheese Cave

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by Beanpole » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:52 pm

You can ride a rental foamy :-)(
Melbourne is the perfect place though since it's got Fcuk all surf.

User avatar
pinhead
barnacle
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by pinhead » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Checked the tub again this afternoon. It was running. There was a guy on the left and a guy on the right. The wind was 16 knot westerly - pretty much straight onshore for the tub - but it looked clean. I saw the guy on the right get one - looked about 2 1/2 feet - the guy did three decent hacks and then disappeared from view. I'd say bigger guys are going to struggle at that setting - board choice will be critical.
daryl wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 am
We were waiting to get a donkey until it killed someone

User avatar
BA
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8052
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:03 pm
Location: tits

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by BA » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:18 pm

So in Autumn/Winter when it’s a predominantly west or north-westerly wind, it’ll be onshore. Interesting choice. I guess they want it offshore in the summer months.
“My cat is on antibiotics and for a second my brain was like, wait this means he can’t drink.”

Ellory Smith

User avatar
pinhead
barnacle
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by pinhead » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:05 pm

BA wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:18 pm
So in Autumn/Winter when it’s a predominantly west or north-westerly wind, it’ll be onshore. Interesting choice. I guess they want it offshore in the summer months.
I don't know that wind direction is that important. I've seen it in 25 kt southwest - lower end was chopped up and 15 kt west the whole pool was still clean. I think the wall protects the wave with anything with west below 15 kts. Strong south will probably affect the left and strong north will affect the right.
daryl wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 am
We were waiting to get a donkey until it killed someone

User avatar
BA
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8052
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:03 pm
Location: tits

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by BA » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:55 pm

Reckon I might have a crack at it in Winter next year. Wife’s got relatives who live close by. Get a cheap Shitstar flight, stay with them and get some tub toobs.
“My cat is on antibiotics and for a second my brain was like, wait this means he can’t drink.”

Ellory Smith

User avatar
foamy
Owl status
Posts: 4733
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by foamy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:34 pm

It’s going to be interesting to see what they charge. Is there a sweet spot between affordability and profitability?

User avatar
godsavethequeen
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 6832
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 am

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by godsavethequeen » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:06 am

Bristol is £40 for just under an hour, board and wetsuit included. It’s 90 minutes from me and I’m not even vaguely tempted

User avatar
offshore1
Duke Status
Posts: 12070
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:40 am

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by offshore1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:10 am

Wetsuit included , eeew.

User avatar
pinhead
barnacle
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by pinhead » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:47 am

Footage of actual surfing up on the Urbn surf website and Stab now - looks pretty good.
daryl wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 am
We were waiting to get a donkey until it killed someone

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 38897
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Cheese Cave

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by Beanpole » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:18 pm

As someone wrote on the site....all the pros were getting drilled.

User avatar
pinhead
barnacle
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by pinhead » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:17 am

Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:18 pm
As someone wrote on the site....all the pros were getting drilled.
Tulla locals will get it dialled.
daryl wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 am
We were waiting to get a donkey until it killed someone

User avatar
tootr
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8861
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:50 am
Location: orstrayleeyah

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by tootr » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:10 am

Saw a brief bit of footage on the news.
Many takeoffs being blown.
The Mighty Sunbird wrote:Sometimes I visit here and feel like I've inadvertently stumbled into a gay sauna
"Drailed" wrote: Go Eastern Suburbs!! Yaaaayyyyyy!!!

User avatar
Legion
Duke Status
Posts: 14290
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by Legion » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:27 am

JW has footage on his insta. The wave is short.

https://instagram.com/stories/julian_wi ... qxtdz4mpbj

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests