i love old reto single fins, talk me out buyin this one

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

wat do like best

high tide
40%
low tide
60%

Total votes: 15

killa

Post by killa » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:41 am

Go for it !!!

I got an old KC single fin off ebay for $50 a while back. Had to take off the fin and reset it straight after I got it but heaps of fun to ride. 8)

thefuhrer
Grommet

Post by thefuhrer » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:44 am

ist sveet as a goot frauline :twisted:

fong

Post by fong » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:10 am

ha,ha my limit was 200....i go higher i think now :lol:

i a classic board to ride on a big point day :shock:

don't encouarge me :x

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:11 am

fong wrote:don't encouarge me :x
I would only encourage you to keep making boards Fong, not buyin’ them.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:31 am

And if I had ya missus email address I let her know that youse are using her ebay account miss kirakye - does look nice though :shock: BUT I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY (this is the thought youse are missing in the process me thinks ;) :D )
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:52 am

fong wrote:ha,ha my limit was 200....i go higher i think now :lol:

i a classic board to ride on a big point day :shock:

don't encouarge me :x
fongey... that thing will probably fetch over 500... keep dreamin.

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:02 am

Fongster, I have recently bough a single fin, I havent surfed anything but since!

I say listen to that little voice in your head and buy it!

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:59 am

ummmm...

I just had a closer look at the photos and theres no way in hell that is a genuine 70's cruiser, firstly, I think you'll find that russell head wasnt shaping for bennets in the 70's, secondly look at the dion logo/tissue on the tail, that definitely aint 70's!!

so, dont get sucked in if you think you are getting the proper 70's deal, I reckon this board is late 80's or more likely early 90's...

but if you can get past that it'd be a lot of fun to have in the quiver, I certainly wouldnt pay any more than $300 absolute maximum, any more than that and I'd spend $700 or so on getting a replica retrospective shape, thatd be brand new and one owner - YOU!!

swift
regular

Post by swift » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:18 am

G'day Fong-on,
I'm keen on retro boards myself. I bought a McCoy Singo from Ebay not long ago and it absolutely rips. I hadn't ridden one since my first ever fibreglass board, a Crystal Curl 5'2 (I wish I hadn't sold that board). I was surprised how loose single fins are having ridden a thruster for the last 20 years!!!
I reckon you should go for it.
Just remeber you can't play Golf with one club!!!!

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:57 am

saltman wrote:
WANDERER wrote:ummmm...

I just had a closer look at the photos and theres no way in hell that is a genuine 70's cruiser, firstly, I think you'll find that russell head wasnt shaping for bennets in the 70's, secondly look at the dion logo/tissue on the tail, that definitely aint 70's!!

so, dont get sucked in if you think you are getting the proper 70's deal, I reckon this board is late 80's or more likely early 90's...

but if you can get past that it'd be a lot of fun to have in the quiver, I certainly wouldnt pay any more than $300 absolute maximum, any more than that and I'd spend $700 or so on getting a replica retrospective shape, thatd be brand new and one owner - YOU!!

Easily sorted Fong look up Russel Heads number, last i saw him about 7 years ago he was living up Colloraoy Plateau and shaping and selling his own label

yeah, hes still around, seen his boards in the racks at sunshine surf at the back of manly.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:30 pm

WANDERER wrote: I just had a closer look at the photos and theres no way in hell that is a genuine 70's cruiser, firstly, I think you'll find that russell head wasnt shaping for bennets in the 70's, secondly look at the dion logo/tissue on the tail, that definitely aint 70's!!
Wouldn’t be too sure about that one Wanderlust. The Dion logo hasn’t changed in yonks, if ever and the “Shaped by” looks pretty legitimate for the time. Irrespective is it about the age/era or the board.

Greg (Bennett) would probably know but if he saw it he could well be in the hunt for it too... :roll:

Still think it ain’t an investment eFong-bay so if you want the feel go make one yourself, you are more than capable. 8)

daleknowles
regular

Post by daleknowles » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:25 pm

beautiful board! like something you'd see on display somewhere.

on the topic I have an old board with 2 fins, it's a fish shape, super thick but it's been painted, I think a couple of times, my buddy bought and basically gave it to me once he moved inland. When I say two fins I should say two and a half, the middle 'fin' is a very small (one inch) ridge thing... does anyone know how I can learn more about this board, the paint (all black) is starting to chip. the board rides so loose it's like it has no fins, but I'm going to give it another go soon...

I also have a late 80's early 90's board you'd see laird ride, it's 7'2" really narrow and 2 3/4 thick, and yellow blue and pink...

Crofty
Grommet

Post by Crofty » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:25 pm

Have been riding my dad's old board. Its a sky blue McGrigor shaped by Barry Edwards (I think) in 1976?!

6"4 single fin with a thick nose and its about 5 inches thick that rides like a dream. I need to get it reglassed though because its been standing up in the garage for way too long (before I read Michael Peterson and got inspired to ride a single fin).

It rides like a dream.....still getting used to it but I cant wait to get the hang of it.

swift
regular

Post by swift » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:11 pm

I'd love to ride a modern day single fin. I wonder if anyone is producing them.
On that note, I think I've said it before but the twin fin that Webber is doing now looks TASTY!!

fong

Post by fong » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:19 pm

munch wrote: BUT I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY (this is the thought youse are missing in the process me thinks ;) :D )
i contained myself....just :oops:

and now it's sold to someone who wouldn't have loved and cherished it like i would :cry:

it most likly b stuck on a wall of some stupid pub :x

a board like that should b surfed :!:

oh well....it went $302.....which was $300 more than i can afford :wink:

was a classic retro thu hey :!:

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:20 am

ya reckon fong? Seriously reckon it woulda been a dog to ride...personally i prefer something shorter and zappy...like 5'6" or something as a single fin.

or at the completely different end of the scale a 6'9" to 8'0" egg/transistional

cousteau
regular

Post by cousteau » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:47 am

... i'm with Longygrom on that, its pretty bloody big, too in between i reckon, go short on the single fins, especially if you're most likely to ride in 2- 4 foot surf.