Port Macquarie spots?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Parkside

Port Macquarie spots?

Post by Parkside » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:08 pm

Hey guys,

I'm heading to Port Mac in Feb for a fortnight for family hols, staying Flynn's beach. Anyone got any info on good mal spots up there? Closest I've been is Crescent (don't start me, battled she who must be obeyed to stay there, but she knew she'd never see me!)

Cheers

Parkside

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:14 pm

Go south to a town called Lake Cathie and if you keep looking on the left as you drive throu the twn on the main road there is a street called Middle Rock Rd or Drive. Go there and there is the break called Middle Rock. you can go further south agian to Rainbow Beach at Bonny Hills, where there is a right hand point and a lot of fun beachies. Also in mid august there is a mal comp called The Mal De Mer Mal Muster, and it is good fun with good raffle prizes and competitors prizes

Raz

Port Macquarie

Post by Raz » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:39 pm

In Port itself, Town Beach has several breaks that are favoured by a SW-SSE wind, the point is more suitable for a mal.
If the winds are from NW-NE , Lighthouse Beach has some good breaks and usually picks up any swell except NTH swells.
For a day out with the family, cross the river (Nth) on the Settlement Point ferry and try the Nth side of the breakwall ( Sth winds), a very good but sometimes very sucky spot.
For an even better day out have a serious talk to "she who must be obeyed" and head up to Point Plommer. The coast road is definitely 4WD only, very sandy at the moment. If in a conventional car and don't mind 30 odd km's of dirt (each way) take the Settlement Point ferry across the river and turn left at the Nth side , follow the signs to Crescent and thence to Point Plommer (Sth Winds) or back Plommer/ Queens Head in a NE-NW wind. Take the family, in a Sth wind Plommer is one of the best beaches on the east coast and has a gentle point break as a bonus.

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:33 pm

Vouch for that.... Plomer and Queens are a haven away from the crowds, the family will like Queens Head as well, just a nice little protected corner, but more importantly, a corner with quite often, perfect barelling lefts.

If you want to stay closer to base though, I've had some great surfs just at Port and one insane day at Rainbow Beach, so the possibilities for you are endless!!!!

Have a good one!

robirving

port macquarie

Post by robirving » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:20 pm

The surf here is great , but some people get too stressed when it comes to wave selection. Just give each other space, this last weekend has been great even with small surf , becauase the city agros have all gone home. not to say all people who visit are wave hogs, but the ones that take verything give the rest a bad name. we know it's progress and the joys of a coatal town, but we just like o take waves 1 at a time and just cruise. If you get stuck for something to do at Fynnies come down on Tuesday arvo to the Port Macquarie Surf school, where i take a group of 20 kids and e teach them how to surf and appreciate the surf. you will see the trailer, and all the boards. no boogie boards for these kids ,it has been the most successful school sport so far , coming into its third year. if you hit the water about 7.30 all of us are leaving to go to work so you will have 1.5hrs before the flags go up at town beach by yourself. just go for it !!!!

Parkside

Port Macquarie vibe

Post by Parkside » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:04 pm

Hey Rob,

nice to hear, I'm looking forward to meeting up with some locals with a cruisy attitude. Have organised family hols outside school hols to crowded hotspots like Byron, Noosa x2, Goldie, Crescent and have had good experiences with locals. I don't go out and snake and hassle, ease into a spot and take my share, hope to do the same around Port.

Hey I remember driving on the beach from Plomer to the ferry, how's the access from Port to Plomer, how long in a 2wd on dirt road?

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:14 pm

My Pic is Lighthouse Beach or Town beach or up the road is good old cressent. :D

Chonie

Re: Port Macquarie

Post by Chonie » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:22 pm

Raz wrote:In Port itself, Town Beach has several breaks that are favoured by a SW-SSE wind, the point is more suitable for a mal.

For a day out with the family, cross the river (Nth) on the Settlement Point ferry and try the Nth side of the breakwall ( Sth winds), a very good but sometimes very sucky spot.
Good luck trying to surf Town's point on a mal. Gotta fight off all the bodyboarders for starters. Not much room there if it's crowded. One of my fav spots tho.
Never seen a mal ride nth breakwall, but give it a go.
Middle's is a top spot too.

Chonie

Re: port macquarie

Post by Chonie » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:28 pm

robirving wrote:Port Macquarie Surf school, where i take a group of 20 kids and teach them how to surf and appreciate the surf. you will see the trailer, and all the boards.
Hey! Is the trailer up on the lookout? Do you have a wife that takes some people out, or used to, on saturday mornings?

I lived in Port, William street, right near town beach, and i learned to surf there! SUCH an awesome place!