ankle leash vs. knee leash!!!!!!

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:28 pm

concrete go cry somewhere else

Morty
regular

Post by Morty » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:51 pm

It astonishes me the anger between short and long. I understand shorties get shitted off because the longies tend to hog breaks. But look at it from the longies POV for a sec, shorties look like they are going for waves, and more often than not don't get it. That stuffs it up for everyone. Also, all you young, fit shorties, I hate to break it to you, but your gunna loose the fitness and anger in a few years, and a longboard will be on your agenda. I used to surf 5'7" twinnies, shorter than all you guys probably ride now. Getting old is part of life. Im gunna surf 'till the day I die, probably on a longboard.....

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:18 pm

Morty good call

donfugo

Post by donfugo » Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:38 pm

true dat morty!!!!!

and by the way longer board = more rides (even without droppin' in and stuff like that!!!)

robirving

knee v ankle

Post by robirving » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:00 pm

Since making the step in 96 to the long board , i've found the knee better for all types of moves. Mixing it up with progressive and traditional moves is the go . Up here i'm surfing with mostly blokes in the late 40's , 50's bracket. Sure there are the traditionalists but taking the baord to its limits and getting air on 9ft is tops. this morming is agreat example 10 blokes on the 9ft foams and i managed to really dig it in and the older guys love it. mixing it up is the go and progress forward , don't let the shorties grab all of the air time. You don't make all of the moves but there's no harm in trying.

theboat
charger

Re: knee v ankle

Post by theboat » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:29 pm

robirving wrote:. mixing it up is the go and progress forward , don't let the shorties grab all of the air time. You don't make all of the moves but there's no harm in trying.
Gotta agree, when you can pump out something that nobody has seen before on a longboard... very satisfying. Although one time I was criticised by an old timer for "just f**king shortboarding on a big board". I felt it was necessary to hang five whilst passing him for my next wave... i know this all sounds cocky, but it was one of my proudest moments as a cocky little shit, and I will claim it!

Dave
regular
Location: Central coast, out the back, 6 foot and glassy, no crowds

Post by Dave » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:18 pm

I gotta agree with Mort on the long v short issue. I ride both so I can see both sides. For me it is simply horses for courses.

I guess I dont cop any crap when riding the longboard cause I follow the 'rules' and dont hog all the waves.

How can you enjoy the session anyway when you are full of aggro all the time...

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:39 pm

Dave,

no wonder the central coast is such a beautiful place to surf. Beautifully put .

Everthing is cool as long as everyone is cool.

peace & groundswells to all.

Morty
regular

Post by Morty » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:49 pm

I wonder what would happen if we put these last few posts on the short boards only forum. We'd be laughed from here to eternity. Have you seen Step into Liquid yet? They go on about how surfers are all linked, and there is love and peace in the ocean. Tell that to the agro guys at The Alley or Nth Narra. Its not all peace and poppyseeds at those breaks.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:12 pm

LEG ROPES SUCK

They hold you back

They make you less confident

They tangle up

They slow you down

They cost money

AND IF ITS OVER SIX FOOT AND U REALLY NEED A LEGROPE, RIDE A SHORTBOARD

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:52 pm

i dont like using a leash but more often than not i find myself wearing one.
normally cause of crowds and rocks. but back to the point i dont think about knee leashes or ankle leashes that much because when i wear a leash to me there both the same.
Last edited by joshalohasurf on Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morty
regular

Post by Morty » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:03 pm

Bugger, went out this morning at a rock break with no leggie, a guy went to drop in and pushed the wave over on me, lost the board....so badly dinged, dunno if there's any repairing it.

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:00 pm

unlucky dude...

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:40 pm

Yer i feel sorry for ya mate. But how often does that happen in a lifetime.

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:07 pm

Morty wrote:Who cares where you tie your board, knee...ankle.......why tie it onto you at all. go real retro and don't use a leggie. also take those little side fins off...one world, one god, one love, one fin...

Couldn't agree more and if theres KOOKs (sorry for swearing) in the water i dont use a leash so if they drop in they get a 9 footer in the head :twisted: :D :twisted:

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:14 pm

Morty wrote:It astonishes me the anger between short and long. I understand shorties get shitted off because the longies tend to hog breaks. But look at it from the longies POV for a sec, shorties look like they are going for waves, and more often than not don't get it. That stuffs it up for everyone. Also, all you young, fit shorties, I hate to break it to you, but your gunna loose the fitness and anger in a few years, and a longboard will be on your agenda. I used to surf 5'7" twinnies, shorter than all you guys probably ride now. Getting old is part of life. Im gunna surf 'till the day I die, probably on a longboard.....
yeah thats why i ride a shorty and a mal cause on smaller days surfing a shorty in weak waves gets frusterating and thats not what surfings about!