1ST Big Move.

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Nino

1ST Big Move.

Post by Nino » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:32 am

What was the first big move that you actually made in surfing when you first started out?

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:37 pm

Don't rightly recall. But I do recall two things;

1. My first backhand barrel, which happened at the Wedge at Whaley. Right in front of my friends paddling out.. Bragging rights!

2. A big backhand reo at North Steyne which was the first time the lip really thwacked the board at the top. A good solid 4-5' too, and me a grom. I'll never forget that one.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:38 pm

What is included as a 'BIG MOVE' are floaters, reos, noserides in sucky sections the idea

Nino

Post by Nino » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:17 pm

Longygrom wrote:What is included as a 'BIG MOVE' are floaters, reos, noserides in sucky sections the idea
Any of the above, just seeing whether anyone can remember the buzz of their first.
Cause to me thats the first, thats what keeps ya coming back for more.

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:29 pm

My FirstAir a couple of weeks ago.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:07 pm

Jumping of the rocks at the Wedge on a big day. Platty.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:09 pm

Getting covered up in the Manly Shorey, getting chewed up shortly after.....and lovin' it

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:49 pm

First solid, stable hang ten.... I could always hang five, but could never go the full tenn without losing balance of having to dart back. Then one day at crescent point, i hit a bit of a sucky section, put the ten over, and held it (and the pose)for about 10 seconds... felt like 10 minutes. Great feeling, first time i felt absoloutley perfectly in control on the nose.

coastie
Grommet

Post by coastie » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:32 pm

Gotta be my first hang ten - backhand at Queenscliff one solid day. Or the first hang ten on a soft-railer. There's hanging ten and there is the rush when a board accelerates once your are on the nose :-) :-)

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:44 pm

bein' fat, unfit and way on the wrong side of 50 ridin' a 9 footer...seein' the look on the shortboarders faces when he does a full-on floater, vertical reo or figure 8 roundhouse cutback comes pretty close.

It wasn't me...but I think I got as much of a buzz from each wave as he did. Not often I've heard the local shortboard crew hootin' a mal!!

Also inspired me ta give 'em a try.....

Morty
regular

Post by Morty » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:00 pm

Standing up first time was pretty cool. Going across the wave was also pretty mind blowing....but a real nose ride is the best feeling I've had surfing.

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:18 pm

On a plank, probably a quasimodo, trying to hold back the laughter at the ridiculousness of the pose is the hardest part.

On a short board, my first so called "big move" would have been a reo I guess, or maybe a floater, or maybe a couple of big snaps under the lip one day out at Forries on a new board (which I had shaped myself). It's hard to single any one move out though as for me it has generally been a case of gradual improvement such that I can't really remember any one big jump. They all pale into insignificance when compared to your first clean barrel though.

The first time I really stood up in control in the whitewash was pretty cool. I kept riding it right into the lake entrance at Wambi while my brother Kalakau Kid was watching and cheering me on. The first time went accross a wave was pretty awesome as wqell, ahhhhh, so many memories.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:02 pm

I remember when I was about 14, dropping into a west peak at sunset, around the 15 foot mark and fading left before a howling bottom turn out across the flats and straight up into the pocket. I then trimmed through to the inside, dragging my hand in the wave as i backdoored a DOH inside section and blasted out into the channel with the spit. As i recall I was riding a 9'0 Brewer pintail singlefin and hadn't bothered with a leash. BK gave me a high five as i cruised across the channel at the end......

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:47 am

My first cover up at south curly with my dad out with me when i was 8 years old