mal surf culture

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:32 pm

You can always try tama if its big on a mal when the beach is closed:D .
You might find it a bit tough to get in and out though.

I once saw a guy on a lid get chucked into that cave thats under the cliff between tama and bronte on a solid day with a southerly swell. The clubbies were running to try and get him but he got shot out the tama end with lots of bark off him. If youve ever walked in there on a flat day when theres enough sand to get access you could imagine what he must have been thinking :shock:

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:35 am

sharky wrote:offshore1
:D :lol: you are cracking me up!
the wbsurf forum.....I totally agree.

And one more thing. I really don't know you.
The guy that I thought you might be....
you're not.

yup,
:wink:
Sharky

sharky,
i don't even know ya and i already miss ya :cry: (blokes, we're in need of some 'alone-time', now, if you please...)

you, too, ompers...

get...

sharky, i need a virtual cyrano to craft some sort of 'www.note d'amore.org' for me.

instead i only have synaptic access to moe, larry and curly quotes.
and, this damned chicken suit.

i know now how cyrano must have felt re. his hideously oversized proboscis.
i, too, suffer from an enormously engorged member. :roll:

stupid synapses :x :!:

i'll see ya here or there :wink:
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

plan b
regular

Post by plan b » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:18 am

how this thread is an embarrasment for australian surfers.

what a bunch of wankers you all are (with some exceptions)

the poor girl just wants some advice, you would hope for a warmer reception if you were visiting her country.

this is the mal riders section as well, why all the flame ?

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:24 am

plan b wrote:how this thread is an embarrasment for australian surfers.

what a bunch of wankers you all are (with some exceptions)

the poor girl just wants some advice, you would hope for a warmer reception if you were visiting her country.

this is the mal riders section as well, why all the flame ?

:arrow: ......................... :roll: ............................ :lol:

sharky
Grommet

Post by sharky » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:24 pm

holy sh*t you guys!
this is getting a bit overwhelming :wink:
you really have to be on it to keep up with all of this :shock:

OK--
philw, I have been a subscriber to aquabumps for over 2 years now, and quite honestly, the breaks seems quite fine. I mean, nothing like how I imagine Burleigh Heads to be...but, for a daily fun little consistent wave to kick around on, (and i don't want to demean it either--looks like it can get quite big, epic, and/or ugly out there too) it seems like it does the trick :wink:
and i do plan to get a shorter board..not just to better suit the imagined conditions, but just for my own desire to want to be a more versatile surfer.
but thanks for the positive outlook. much appreciated. 8)

greygrom....couldn't find the group for your hug, eh? :cry: i'm sorry.
but i would love to surf The Pass. Seems like a really fun mal wave especially if you can find a time to go out when the crowds aren't so thick...

robbieg, your avatar freaks me out a little....
thanks for the prop :wink:
I figured out who ompers is. some dude who's posted like over a 1000 posts, and is widely ignored and dissed. but have yet to figure out who fong is. ... :shock:

oldman, thank you so much for the thoughtful response and welcome.
I love the words "idyllic pastime"--- perfect.
I am used to surfing crowded waves, but definitely prefer uncrowded waves. (what surfer wouldn't?)
I'm also familiar with flagged beaches and surf zones :x. didn't have them in California, but we do here. kind of a drag. But quite honestly, the surf here is kind of a drag, so, whatever. :roll:
I definitley can control my board, and have great respect for saftey and etiquitte.
You also said "and generally speaking a pretty high level of skill among the average surfer out there, particularly at Maroubra. "

(i don't know how to do the quotes like you guys do --blocked in gray-- :oops:)

This does not surprise me at all. I think that the surf level in Oz is quite accomplished. Definitley looking forward to seeing some great surfing.

and the early bird always does seem to get the worm :wink:

munch, everything you said makes perfect sense...8)
don't really know what else to say.
thankyou :D

philw, thanks for the additional info, and yes, I am very excited. :D

Beanpole, that must have been quite sight! I laughed a bit when i read your post. sounds kinda funny, really. poor guy...

offshore1....WTF!!!!
I am with you when you're wanting some alone time...
no problem.
I'm with you when you tell ompers to f off.
clear enough.
but THEN you lose me!
the french URL :?:
the 3 stooges :?: (and your damned chicken suit :roll: ...don't forget that blasted thing!)
and then cryano and your engorged (not enlarged, mind you...engorged) member :?::?::?::?:
are you OK my fellow WB friend?
I'm a little concerned.......

plan b, hello :D
is that jesus giving us all a happy thumbs up?
this thread really has gone on a few tangents, but it was to be expected.
surfers are never too keen on just handing out information.
so actually i am quite thankful for what I have gotten.

this posting sh*t takes for EVER!! hahahaaa! I just said that to myself!
but seriously, it does!

maybe i give everyone too much individualised attention.
but I figure I owe it to you guys...
after all it is my thread where I am asking you to help me.
So I'm just doing my best to help you, help me. you see? :wink:

so....
muchas gracias por todo (are there good mexican food restaraunts in Sydney/Bondi?)

and except for answering my mexican food question, you have left me feeling satisfied :wink:

I think the rest of my R&D needs to be done in person.

I'll see you in the water,
Sharky

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:15 pm

Hi,
I was joking about Nth Narra, suprised know-one jumped on it. Most beaches Sth of Bondi forget the Mal (Couple of spots near Cronulla depending on conditions) Forget Manly, too many tourists (sorry) Go Freshie or Between DY and Longreef.
Central Coast beaches aren't really mal spots Terrigal maybe but that rarely works. There maybe one or 2 up @ Newcastle, as for south of Cronulla, never been myself. If you want a long drive there is always Byron Bay & Coffs Harbour.
If you end up @ Freshwater go elsewhere Xmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day
Never confuse ambition with ability

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:25 pm

Shaunm wrote: If you want a long drive there is always Byron Bay & Coffs Harbour.
Coff's.................. :lol: :lol:..................no surf in coff's.............. well may be not today

But if you do make it up this way pm me if you need info on places to stay.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:22 pm

sharky wrote:holy sh*t you guys!

are you OK my fellow WB friend?
I'm a little concerned.......

Sharky

i'll be alright. nothin a little electroshock therapy won't straighten out. :oops: :D
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:52 am

Johnno wrote:
Shaunm wrote: If you want a long drive there is always Byron Bay & Coffs Harbour.
Coff's.................. :lol: :lol:..................no surf in coff's.............. well may be not today
Really? Where do people from Coffs surf?
Never confuse ambition with ability

captain caveman
Grommet

Post by captain caveman » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:01 pm

Fellas, I reckon we've given that seapo bird more than enough information, she's probably a rep from another one of those friggen surf travel companies....The pommies have allready taken over the mid-north coast, What are we stupid or something?, only a couple of months ago I was surfing a certain spot, which unfortunatly is hardly a secret spot anymore, and whilst out there, I noticed a 4wd tour bus pull up on the beach, off load 40,000 British fucks, all moaning and complaining...oh it's to hot, I don't want sand in my feet, blah, blah blah...Then they all unloaded these foam rescue boards, or what ever they were, and paddled out into our peaceful session.
Worst thing was after we left the surf they started to follow us up and down the East Coast, everywhere we went they turned up, fucking pissed me off.......
So don't be fooled guys, she seems like she knows too much allready. :?

Hangten
Grommet

Post by Hangten » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:01 pm

I think Captain Caveman could be right about feeding too much information to another 'seppo', but then maybe he might be wrong. Perhaps it would be better if he crawls back into his cave and does a months worth of navel introspection on 'How to make friends and keep them' by Freshwater Longboard Mal ( as in the espanol palabra 'mal' (to be sick of it all) ....just joking.......

To Sharky, Looking forward to your visit to the Northern Beaches of Sydney, New South Wales, the more girls in the water the better!
Surfing a Mal in Sydney is easy - the guys are friendly particularly the old farts on longboards - watch out though they like a little romance on the side.......

You can surf most any beach and have a good time - the only problem that has affected me - and I am a tourist from Phillip Island ,Victoria is the the the bloody traffic......the rest is easy...see you at Manly sometime..eres muy tourista en Sydney por uno mesa - no mas- muy facil.Hasta Manana!

sharky
Grommet

Post by sharky » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:45 pm

captain caveman, what's a seapo bird?
do not worry my friends!! i am definitley not affiliated with the travel industry, tourist industry.....not any industry, really!
The information that you guys have shared is much appreciated, and you need not be concerned that I will blab it all to the world. I'm super mellow (and actually, quite to myself).
As a matter of fact, this is the most posting I have ever done in my life on one of these forums.
I am generally a "lurker" (I guess that's forum talk for those who read the posts, but never participate---or so I've read :wink:). SO...if you suddenly don't hear from me, it's not becuase I've taken the information and am now madly typing a cover article for Outdoor Mag. It's simply because you guys have so graciously (with the exception of a few--I won't name any names...:roll: ) answered my questions and, like I said,...I'm satisfied. :wink:

EXCEPT for the mexican food question....but that's where hangten appears to come into the picture (since no one else has made mention of anything related to Mexico), and I'm not quite ready to address you yet...so....hang....ten...

What I wanted to say was (and I'm not trying to be a smart ass) is......I hate to break it you :oops: -- but between reading "Surfing Australia" every morning on the crapper for the past 7 years (no joke) and tooling around on "wannasurf.com" and being in contact with one of my best friends who is from Sydney, and still lives there-------95% (so please note, not ALL) of what has been shared....I already knew. :wink:
It's just nice to have the information confirmed, and even more nice to get a little taste of the stoke that is in your part of the world.

OK (I swear this sh*t is exhausting!)

hangten, hablas espanol. es muy bien. te gusta la comida mexicana? soy de Californina y la comida mexicana es mi favorita! si no hay frijoles y tortillas en Sydney, no se que voy a hacer.....I guess I'll just have to order them online.
but seriously you guys! Mexican Food. You guys have it?

And hang ten, a very sincere thanks for the encouraging words and warm welcome. Phillip Island looks like it is BEAUTIFUL. Lots of little penguins
:) I will visit there some day...

Later,

Sharky 8)

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:30 am

Hi sharky, while you are up in the Blue Mountains try and have lunch at the Old Hydro Majestic built in 1920's I think and hasn't changed to much since then.

And give yourself a day to go to the Bridal Veil Falls at Gullops Leap, I think its near Blackheath and do the walk / climb down to the valley ( bit like being in a forrest from Lord Of The Rings )..................... :wink:

From memory it takes 2 - 3 hours to climb down, use to be steps and a few ladders along the way to get to the bottom. Used to do a bit camping down at the bottom years ago.

Cheers

sharky
Grommet

Post by sharky » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:32 pm

Johnno...
I'm going to the Blue Mountains?? :shock:
What and where are they :!: :?: :?:
Is that where I can find bean burritos? :D

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:51 pm

sharky wrote:Johnno...
I'm going to the Blue Mountains?? :shock:
What and where are they :!: :?: :?:
Is that where I can find bean burritos? :D
Opps wrong thread...................... :oops: :roll: :lol: ..................mixed it up with someone staying out that way.

They are part of The Great Dividing Range that run the entire length of the east coast. Don't know about finding bean burritos up there though.

sharky
Grommet

Post by sharky » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:54 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

vb
Local

Post by vb » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:10 pm

Palm Beach (last one on the northern peninsula) gets lots of mals, lots of girls riding. A real s...fight on weekends but during the week it's big enough to find a break even on your lonesome. PS go the Hornets.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:41 pm

Hi Sharky,
Forget learning about cricket, rugby league and the Blue Mountains (all great and they'll happen when you are here) The thing you can learn most from this thread is the way Aussies like to "take the P-ss" which is a euphemism for telling you exagerated fibs to mislead you. I think the Americans say "taking the mickey" A lot of the forum posters have taken the opportunity to "take the p-ss out of the "Yank bird" in this forum. However, most importantly remember its always in fun.
Anyway, there are some great mal waves on the northern beaches of Sydney, one of the best within walking distance (and a 300 meter paddle from the Manly Corso). Its generally friendly early (like at first light) and is shared by longboarders, shortboarders, boogy boarders and goat boats (generally) peacefully. I often see female mal riders out there. Can't tell you its name (like every where in Sydney, it's a Secret Spot) but just stand on the beach at Manly and look out to the rocky headland and you'll see it.
Enjoy your trip