Anyone ridden the tomo Evo?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

SharkBoy
Grommet

Anyone ridden the tomo Evo?

Post by SharkBoy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:49 pm

If so, how does it go compared to the Nano or Vader?

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Re: Anyone ridden the tomo Evo?

Post by godsavetheking » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:02 am

From 'Ask Carroll'
Nick Carroll wrote: The Evo has a bit more lift and feels slightly softer and rounder in turns.

I don't really get too choosy about conditions with either board, I just surf 'em when I feel like it, but the Evo seems like it can handle slightly bigger surf and the best surfs I've had on the Nano have been in steep juicy little rip bowls.
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

SharkBoy
Grommet

Post by SharkBoy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:58 am

Interesting, pretty different from the descriptions I've read on the site

Thanks for answering

curlybloke

Post by curlybloke » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:24 am

I got one of the first shipment, a 5'5" 30.5L stock Firewire one. Nick's I believe is a custom.

I've had a Vader since Oct last year (which I use 90% of the time) and had a Nano for 6 months last year. I love the Vader, insane speed and acceleration, easy to initiate turns, carves like a snowboard in powder, handles suck no probs. Nano was great in waves with a bit of punch, similar to the Vader in some respects, but without the insane instant acceleration, a bit of 'smoother' ride perhaps, but a more limited size range, top and bottom IMO.

The Evo feels like the love child of the 2 boards, with the best aspects of both. I managed to snap it last week in the decent SE swell we had here in Sydney on Thursday so no more to report. They have a couple of hundred back orders I am told so I won't be replacing it anytime soon. Fixable however.

SharkBoy
Grommet

Post by SharkBoy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:48 pm

thanks for the answer

I have a 5'3 vader and 5'4 nano, weighing 75 kilos currently.
thought the 5'2 evo would be perfect but winter suit season sees me surfing top to toe in a 6/5mm which adds a lot of weight.

Considering the 5'3 as my local shop won't have them smaller. is it a board you can ride a size up? or is it better go with the way it scales 100%?

I've tried a nano that was 2 sizes bigger and surfed it well, it did everything right (not tracky) but just felt big for me, so maybe that's a better one to add if I decide on a tomo with more volume? (shrug)

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:41 pm

Nice nickname Michael Fanning :lol: :lol: :lol:
What's the difference between Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris?

One's pretending to be an Indian & the others pretending she isn't!

SharkBoy
Grommet

Post by SharkBoy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:37 am

(
--++sunstroke++-- wrote:Nice nickname Michael Fanning :lol: :lol: :lol:

hehehe

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Only a rat can win the rat race.

Dirty Dog

Post by Dirty Dog » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:08 pm

I bought a 5'2 2 weeks ago. I way about 72kg.
First impressions are pretty amazing. Felt like the fastest board I have surfed on by far, seemed to make sections with ease. I felt like I was cheating on this board. I haven't been able to feel out a range of turns yet. I feel as though it may be more suited to cutbacks and 'complete' turns rather than snappy tail slide type turns. I'm frothing.