Gary McNeill

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

godsavethequeen
Owl status

Re: Gary McNeill

Post by godsavethequeen » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Ay oop, OddaP. Long time no see

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Ay up me duck.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:23 pm

So had a go out on CV2 in waste high peelers. First impressions that it's a fast, but not too fast, stable board that loves a cuttie. Most pleasing aspect was the back hand. Didn't have to ride too laterally like other fishes I've had. That is to say I really like the rocker and rail combo.

Boards I'm mentally comparing against and have owned at some point are, Psillakis Quad Fish, NPJ Quartet, DVS Mad Wasp, Mick Mackie Quad.

IMHO so different to an Entity it's hard to compare. Only to say I don't think I'd surf a CV2 in above shoulder high where as an Entity up to 1 and 1/2 times over head.

Just initial impressions.
Last edited by Davros on Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drailed
Duke Status

Post by Drailed » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:34 pm

Its not really a fish in my opinion.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:43 pm

I found it pretty fishy mate. But we are all different

Drailed
Duke Status

Post by Drailed » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:44 pm

cos your a kook mate.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:45 pm

No doubt. Guess I'm just used to riding high end performance boards :lol: Not.

"The CV2 by Gary McNeill is your fun all round fish hybrid! This model has a normal rocker being designed for multiple fins. The bottom is a cv2 channel which ends at the front fins then feeds into a double concave through the fins. Great as a thruster or quad or even a keel twin on smaller days. The CV2 is an extremely versatile board designed for smaller surf but you'll be surprised at how well this board handles on bigger days."

Fking fish. Ok!!

Now get an Entity, surf it in 4-6ft and come back to me sonny. You'll be blowing geezer jizz all over this thread when you do. But DO NOT get it too small, he takes stacks out of the rails and bottom. I won't tell you again, get one you'll love it. 595 off Boardcave.

Drailed
Duke Status

Post by Drailed » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:03 pm

Been thinking about one in like 6'8 x 20.5 as a step up... you only ride as a quad or thruster as well?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:21 pm

Just Quad. Personal take. I like it for good waves 3/4-5ft. When it's 4-6 ft and so I'm on a narrower 6'10 with a bit more on the rail for control. I found it a bit fishy in the bigger stuff and with the low responsive rail a bit of a handful. But as you said I'm a bit of a look, well I am when it gets above 6ft and some.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:48 am

Davros wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:23 pm
So had a go out on CV2 in waste high peelers. First impressions that it's a fast, but not too fast, stable board that loves a cuttie. Most pleasing aspect was the back hand. Didn't have to ride too laterally like other fishes I've had. That is to say I really like the rocker and rail combo.

Boards I'm mentally comparing against and have owned at some point are, Psillakis Quad Fish, NPJ Quartet, DVS Mad Wasp, Mick Mackie Quad.

IMHO so different to an Entity it's hard to compare. Only to say I don't think I'd surf a CV2 in above shoulder high where as an Entity up to 1 and 1/2 times over head.

Just initial impressions.
What size did you get?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:41 am

6'3. Reckon it's about 36 litres. I'm 103 kilos, 'bout 6'2. I was surprised at how refined it is. Was worried. But no probs with a little more in the rail and prob the wide back end

Drailed
Duke Status

Post by Drailed » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:09 am

Davros wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:23 pm
I don't think I'd surf a CV2 in above shoulder high
Wow, so different to me, I find the CV2 really sure footed and almost stiff... maybe its the fins? I use the rasta quads...

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:52 am

I reckon the CV2 will be a wall chaser for me. The Entity a bit more top to bottom. Saying that I was really pleased with the cutties in small surf yesterday from the CV2

Bearing in mind I've only surfed the CV2 once, I used the same fin set up on both boards. M5s fronts, Shapers Quads at the back. Have used bigger PC fins in bigger surf on Entity but found it a bit stiff and I didn't like it.

Whack some cheapy M5s on the front. I've found they make the boards a bit looser. I dare you, no double dare you. The whole fin thing is the biggest con in leisure time surfing.

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:29 am

Small fins for a big bloke really. I'm even more confused about McNeill boards now lol. Cv2 always looked fishy to me but everyone mentions how refined the rail is and hoe they're a good wave board.
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:40 am

Yeh, I know Beery. I thought the same but McNeill insisted that medium sized fins where the go, I tried M7 sized and he was right, board changed completely. Stiffened up like a Catholic Priest at choir boys retreat.

I can't put my finger on what I dig about these boards, I think it's the stability on take off (not skittish at all) but the ability to turn easily and very occasionally for me, critically. The old "did I just do that fking turn" feeling.

Other thing is as an old boy (50 looming) they are off the rack through Boardcave. Shapers tend to soften their designs a bit of for blokes that resemble Colonel Sanders. So that's been satisfying.

Drailed
Duke Status

Post by Drailed » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:00 pm

What would be similar fins in futures Davros, any idea?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:39 pm

Yeh they have cheap arse plastic in Futures.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:31 pm

PM'd you a link to some cheapies