Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: Midlengths

Post by Cranked » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:26 pm

alakaboo wrote:I had a 6' one, fun board.
The best surfs I had on it were in bigger sloping waves.
Stick a big fin in it.
I took it out today in absolute crap 1' surf, no one out at first. I had a 9'2 mal with me and that seemed the correct choice, but you know how it is, you always take out the new board. So I did, and was pleasantly surprised. Its a great board! 3 guys came out on mals and I got more waves than the 3 of them combined and rode them further. It was loose and drivey with the big carbon centre fin that it came with.

On the ongoing surftech front, I missed out on a 6'10 JC Equalizer in excellent condition on Saturday for $200, but picked up an as new 6'8 CI Flyer for $350 on Sunday. It has about 25% more tail lift than anything I've ridden or measured, but is pretty flat in the middle, big deep concave throughout with shallow doubles within it in the tail, its gonna be a great board I'm sure. Goddamn I love that predjudice against surftechs.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:37 am

Beerfan wrote:
Drailed wrote:Love to hear how that goes Cuttlefish...

Any chance of some pics of your 8'er? What's the go with it?
Mark, I don't have an 8'er. I asked Gary what's the longest sizes he does the cv2 in and he replied: 8'10".
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:41 am

Cranked wrote:
Stick a big fin in it.
I took it out today in absolute crap 1' surf, no one out at first. I had a 9'2 mal with me and that seemed the correct choice, but you know how it is, you always take out the new board. So I did, and was pleasantly surprised. Its a great board! 3 guys came out on mals and I got more waves than the 3 of them combined and rode them further. It was loose and drivey with the big carbon centre fin that it came with.

On the ongoing surftech front, I missed out on a 6'10 JC Equalizer in excellent condition on Saturday for $200, but picked up an as new 6'8 CI Flyer for $350 on Sunday. It has about 25% more tail lift than anything I've ridden or measured, but is pretty flat in the middle, big deep concave throughout with shallow doubles within it in the tail, its gonna be a great board I'm sure. Goddamn I love that predjudice against surftechs.
Funny. Sold my MR tuflite flying fish the other afternoon. Then happened to look on Gumtree and saw a McCoy tuflite lazor zap 5'10" the next morning. So the money I received for the MR rotated right on through.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:04 am

Cuttlefish wrote:
Beerfan wrote:
Drailed wrote:Love to hear how that goes Cuttlefish...

Any chance of some pics of your 8'er? What's the go with it?
Mark, I don't have an 8'er. I asked Gary what's the longest sizes he does the cv2 in and he replied: 8'10".
Ah that was for loofy mate:)

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:02 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:
Cranked wrote:
Stick a big fin in it.

Funny. Sold my MR tuflite flying fish the other afternoon. Then happened to look on Gumtree and saw a McCoy tuflite lazor zap 5'10" the next morning. So the money I received for the MR rotated right on through.
why'd you go back to the zap Pete? I'm still keen to give a 5'6 zot a go at some point - i just never see them cheap...
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:50 pm

I think I'll be wondering the same thing when I try to surf it. I mean its 19&3/4" wide and 3" thick with a 12" nose and 16&1/2" tail and packing 45 litres of foam. JaM71 has it at his place and reckons its the ugliest thing he's ever seen.
He may get a laugh out of me wrestling it around though.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:39 pm

ahaha - enjoy the wild ride!
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:48 pm

The 8'0 Pipedream singlefin went like a trip in 3-4 foot point surf. Drawing some different lines out there

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Speaking of different lines and the ongoing surftech saga, I now have a 7'10 Takayama Egg and am looking forward to drawing Devon Howard lines like this:

https://vimeo.com/117554484

The board has huge rolled V rail to rail, and fine rails. Should go well in any size. It comes as a 2+1 but the centre is a 4.75. Tried to put the long skinny fin from my Wombat in it but the tail is so thin the fin needs significant alterations to seat in the box.

“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:17 pm

Beery -what about this local special?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Surfboard-70 ... SwnipWYS3g
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:16 pm

Cranked,
A mate of mine I surf with quite often acquired the same takayama surftech 7'10". Reckons its magic. Saw 2 different ones for sale recently which is rare.
Me, I am loving my cv2. After surfing it in really good point waves this last week the board has gone to "keeper" status.
My vquad 7'6" is my favourite egg style midlength and my cv2 is my favourite fish midlength.
I'm floating with water at the top of my thighs if I have it level in the water. It has 53 litres of foam. The rails are super chunky up around the chest area.
I still pick it up and wonder how it can be so good with the amount of foam it has.
Tell you what though it is an absolute joy to surf.
I was sitting out with the mal riders waiting for the infrequent set waves and it could paddle in early and push a nice hard bottom turn then motor down the line with cutbacks at will. So nice and loose off the tail. My fin combo is the ducks guts.
Ordered a 6'6" x 21&1/2" x 3" cv2 this morning for beachies.
I'm not in the least scared of plenty of foam on this one because Gary really knows how to make it work.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:35 pm

Why surf tech and not beautiful poly? What a waste

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:21 pm

Really don't like the rolled bottom. I had a Taka fast mal ages ago. Bought it cause I watched a couple in action. Very fast. Same can't be said for the egg unfortunately cranky IMHO. Hope it goes well for ya.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:49 am

batoes wrote:Beery -what about this local special?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Surfboard-70 ... SwnipWYS3g

My 7'0" is similar dims. It's a sick board, quad fin. Looking for an 8'er, 2+1 purely to cover injury and lack of fitness. I find for me with longer boards I don't need to have any kind of form or fitness, they just work for me in the waves I surf. Once I get a few months up on it I can drop back to my smaller boards without issue. I don't know why or what it is, maybe because I started on longer board?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:54 am

My mates 8'6" surftech longboard is 2 1/2" thick, which seems to make up for the extra float nicely. Actually works pretty well. Hes had it for probably 10yrs now. It snapped when it copped a clean up set on the deck a few years ago when we paddled out when we shouldn't have but even after repairs it still goes well.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:39 am

Man Outer Island has got a beautiful midlength posted on its Facebook Page. I want one just like it. He's a bloody Wizard.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:41 am

One on gumtree, 7'10" supermal. Looks insane

I'd love one

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:00 am

People have been telling me for years to get a Mitchell Rae made board.

Midlengthless at the moment. But next will be a Outer Islands Mondo or a DVS All Rounder