Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Midlengths

Post by steve shearer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:22 am

ctd wrote:
I think its really up to you to figure out what is most important - for me, because I'm unfit country dweller who can't surf (thanks SS),

Didn't say you can't surf.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:26 am

Davros wrote:Just on the comment "for small and gutless days" I have a 7'2 single pintail I use when I need to get into faster larger waves earlier. Maybe I have missed the definition of Mid length, I kinda see myself in the next couple of years on a similar board to a 7'4 Vouch rolled V 3 for 4ft up, just something that glides into a decent wave can take a drop and a rail knifing bottom turn. Today I'm finding I'm under gunned on decent sized waves on a 6'6 tri fin being 50, slow, average. You mid length experts please tell me there are boards that fit the bill.
fcuking oath.
Thats core business for a well shaped middy.

I'd also add, I ride mine when I want to surf a certain way. Sometimes no matter what the surf is like, I want early entry, swooping turns, high line cut-downs and abundant trim from all over the board. I want to board to cover distance with every turn and not have to make adjustments.
I might like that in 2ft surf or I might want to surf like that in 8-10ft point surf.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:49 am

/\ same. I use my middy more so based around how it's breaking rather than the size of the wave. Early entry, swooping turns, and covering ground sums it up. Somewhere like green island or the big lefts off shelly beach that wall up forever, bending back into deeper water are waves built for mid lengths. Get in early and mow 'em down with big rail turns start to finish.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Outerislands look so damn good. Even what he calls a minimal is reasonably pulled in and would probably work great in overhead waves that weren't super pitching or heaving. When i get off the longboard I'm tossing up between one of those and a round tail quad from JD.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:35 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Davros wrote:Just on the comment "for small and gutless days" I have a 7'2 single pintail I use when I need to get into faster larger waves earlier. Maybe I have missed the definition of Mid length, I kinda see myself in the next couple of years on a similar board to a 7'4 Vouch rolled V 3 for 4ft up, just something that glides into a decent wave can take a drop and a rail knifing bottom turn. Today I'm finding I'm under gunned on decent sized waves on a 6'6 tri fin being 50, slow, average. You mid length experts please tell me there are boards that fit the bill.
fcuking oath.
Thats core business for a well shaped middy.

I'd also add, I ride mine when I want to surf a certain way. Sometimes no matter what the surf is like, I want early entry, swooping turns, high line cut-downs and abundant trim from all over the board. I want to board to cover distance with every turn and not have to make adjustments.
I might like that in 2ft surf or I might want to surf like that in 8-10ft point surf.
Steve that sums a good midlength up perfectly

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:43 pm

Still a 6'10" Campbell bros egg for sale at zak surfboards in vicco. $880. Another 6'8" Campbell bros egg too

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:00 pm

This is a nice looking single fin midlength a bit pricy but cheaper than a vouch if u like that kind of board:
http://joelfitzgeraldsurfboards.com/boards/ml42/

I ve surfed with cuttlefish & seen his vquad in action, it's a great board that gets in early and covers a lot of ground quickly......I am planning on getting a 6"10-7ft version. Heaps cheaper than a mctavish, vouch etc plus hipsters like Alex knost make a rolled bottom single fin stylish, your average surfer looks a kook with a big fat wallet. Personally, I like a gas peddle which is what concaves and a quad set up gives me.

The beachbeat pacer egg 2+1 set up looks a nice board as well. My last midlength was a 7ft diverse 2+1 SG model, great board. Surfed it exclusively for 2 years and kept it for 4 or 5.
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:47 pm

Well fuck me! I love it how you bloke go on massive tangents....

I asked for sydney shapers and got Byron ones.

Thanks for the advice on all the sick shapers up and down the coast. I'll know who to go to when my kids leave home, have heaps of cash, and 8 hours to drive up to see the bastards..... For the next 20 fucking years I'll stick to my local.

Rabbidge, too far.
Miller, round the corner from Babs.
Campbell Bros well he's miles away.
Goddard, go suck a fucken banana Jana.
Vouch, I can vouch they are too fuckin far away.
Outer islands, isn't that a bloke in vicco that shapes boards with ugly noses worse than nevs?
Mctavish is too far
Alex knost is a stylemaster but all you dickheads are too scared to walk down to dee why with anything longer than a fucking 6'2 so don't like his flow.

I going to go another scotch.... Keep the bullshit coming, I'm starting to enjoy this.

Sooo.......

Any sydney shapers doing nice Midlengths other than Patto?

When's the realsurf BBQ again,... I wanna have a scotch with iggy or whatever his name is this week, and beerfan and topher.... They are the only good blokes on here... Oh yeah and Oldman.

Drunken rant over....
Last edited by JET01 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

philw
Local

Post by philw » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:09 am

^^

Haydn Lewis, Mona Vale.

http://www.haydnlewisdesigns.com/about.html

Perv on the voluptuous offerings within.

If I had unlimited time, space and cash I'd want about half of them.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:52 am

Mitchell Rae who owns Outer Island is a bit of a ledge, he's not the bloke your thinking of. Good topic though Jet, mid length conversations seem to be devoid of discussions of 1/100000 of a poofteenth change in volume that alters the degree of vertical attack by .0000001 in 3ff waves. Such bollocks talk should be confined to the "I associate my surfing abilities with the pros" section. But there is nothing wrong with that either.

Well in reagrds to your drunken rant, I reckon you may have picked up some valuable information re: mid lengths are good for XY and Z, you started the question with mid lengths for crowded beaches which leads me to believe you not getting enough waves at the moment, two things you already know a) the bloke on a crowed beachy on mid length getting all the waves is a pr*ck and will be treated as such and b) get a decent fish, dharma, simmons whatever for the crowded beachy. IMHO.
Last edited by Davros on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:03 pm

JET01 wrote:Well **** me! I love it how you bloke go on massive tangents....

Thanks for the advice on all the sick shapers up and down the coast. I'll know who to go to when my kids leave home, have heaps of cash, and 8 hours to drive up to see the bastards..... For the next 20 **** years I'll stick to my local.

Rabbidge, too far.
Goddard, go suck a **** banana Jana.
Vouch, I can vouch they are too **** far away.
Outer islands, isn't that a bloke in vicco that shapes boards with ugly noses worse than nevs?
Mctavish is a sellout
Alex knost is a stylemaster but all you dickheads are too scared to walk down to dee why with anything longer than a **** 6'2 so don't like his flow.

I going to go another scotch.... Keep the bullshit coming, I'm starting to enjoy this.

Sooo.......

When's the realsurf BBQ again,... I wanna have a scotch with iggy or whatever his name is this week, and beerfan and topher.... They are the only good blokes on here... Oh yeah and Oldman.

Drunken rant over....
:-o :roll:
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:38 pm

I've had Rabbidges dropped off at MonaVale no problems. Drove down to get one for my son last year. Not a bad excuse for a quick surfari. I've been noticing a lot of Jacksons that look pretty good lately. Don't know if you consider Cronulla part of Sydney. Might have to go past the Spit Bridge :shock:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:43 pm

JET01 wrote:Well **** me! I love it how you bloke go on massive tangents....

Thanks for the advice on all the sick shapers up and down the coast. I'll know who to go to when my kids leave home, have heaps of cash, and 8 hours to drive up to see the bastards..... For the next 20 **** years I'll stick to my local.

Rabbidge, too far.
Mctavish is a sellout
Alex knost is a stylemaster but all you dickheads are too scared to walk down to dee why with anything longer than a **** 6'2 so don't like his flow.

Sooo.......

Drunken rant over....
You re clearly not the brightest are u jet? U have been given a heap of solid information from a knowledgable group, your rant is not only drunken but misguided. Sorry that u did not appreciate or are able to apply the insights given.
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:06 pm

i generally get boards couriered to my door or close enough from $50-70 bucks?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:25 pm

What Jam71 said.

I own boards from two of the blokes on that list, amd they're not only great boards but class guys too.

Suck a banana indeed!

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:55 pm

JET01 wrote:Rabbidge, too far.
Mctavish is a sellout

I heard from a mate, dont know if its true but you might be able to look it up - apparently there is some invention that allows you to talk to people without actually being face to face. Amazing, but he swears it exists.

As matticus said, Grant Miller for one is in Sydney quite often (he even says so on his website). I'm sure he will meet up with you no problems. I've been to his place in Milton and its not like he has 50 boards laying around you can put your hands on to check out or anything; so meeting him at a cafe in Sydney is just as worthwhile as going down south. He certainly has plenty on info on his website.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks for the all the info boys. Nice to talk about something different as Davros picked up.

The drunken rant was meant amuse, not offend.

I had a 6'0 shorty on order with Patto, but ended up canning that idea and ordering a 7'7 single.
Not sure of the rest of the dims. Left that to him.

It's going to be olive green.

Will post pics when it's ready.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:13 pm

I think outer islands are in Sydney? Could be wrong.

A quick whereis search proves I'm very wrong. However, as others have mentioned, boards can be shipped for less than a hundred bucks. If you're buying a quality board, it's fkukk all to add. If it's too much just go and grab a 2nd hand tufflite, or grab one of those dripping wet $400 minimals. Free leash!!