Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: Midlengths

Post by Cranked » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:20 pm

Oh and there was Mitch Rae's comments
The MoonRaker design... using the longer lines of a 7'4" pintail gun... 4'' cut from the nose to shorten it up while holding the long projection lines. Very low overall rocker, low entry with a parabolic, progressive speed curve throughout... the low rocker gives easy wave entry and instant board speed, the full flex construction giving variable arcs and massive reflex / projection. It has no "top end" and will keep going faster and faster with the wave.
So its not surprising that it didn't like the really short arc turns, despite the flex tail.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:51 pm

Drive a holden....then jump in a Ferrari.....until a surfer feels how FTs peform he/she falls short of experiencing the uniqueness of the performance characteristics of the craft.WORTH every cent they cost!

regular

Post by 8 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:25 pm

Not being rude - but if flextails are so awesome how come nobody rides them? Well pretty much nobody...... gotta be <0.5% of all board out there.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:40 am

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:44 am

Freshiedudes quiver. I'm tempted by the 7'10". Few years ago when I was surfing heaps it would've been great for me. Not much water time now so probably not right for me at the moment. Still, I'm very tempted.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:17 am

Second from the right, thank you very much. Far right looks just like the one for sale.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:34 pm

Beanpole wrote: Far right looks just like the one for sale.
Thats because it is beany... pay attention
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:11 pm

I just love a round pin on bigger boards. You've got foam up front for weak/small and that pulled in tail for late drops

Freshiedude
Grommet

Post by Freshiedude » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks Beerfan for posting for me. The two boards on the left are 8'6's & the yellow one is an 8ft, the last one being the 7'10. The red one is special being a stealth supermal with carbon rails & thick ceder stringer & the flex tail . Had this one out 8-10ft & it really came alive almost too fast for me.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:37 pm

Cranked wrote:
Beanpole wrote: Far right looks just like the one for sale.
Thats because it is beany... pay attention
Sorry, cranky......I blame the silly season.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Nice quiver freshie, cuttlefish will be salivating when he sees such an array of beautiful midlength craft. Are they quads? If so, Do u run them with the switch blade fins?
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Freshiedude
Grommet

Post by Freshiedude » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:09 pm

Hey JaM71
Yes I love my outers. First two are thrusters, the blue one I run large shapers fins stealth SMF-L the flex tail has Speeed fins. The yellow one I run switch blade fins & the last one I have H3 FCS. The switchblade fins are fantastic but I still think the H3 fins are a great fin plus also work great on wider tail boards as well.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Between my 7'2" cv2 and my 7'6" vquad I have reached midlength zen.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Freshiedude
Grommet

Post by Freshiedude » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:06 pm

Hey cuttie
How is the 6'8 Outer going?

Red October

Post by Red October » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:59 pm

Not sold on the flex tails or the V2 twin stringer design. Had a couple but they only seemed to work in very specific conditions , that is lined up long period points and reefs. If you could anticipate what the wave was going to do long in advance you could take advantage of the flex and projection . In short period, peaky or choppy waves that require quick reactions you don't really have time to load up and release . Found that sometimes they would weird things off the bottom- would just bend like a hinge and scrub off speed. That said have had a couple of normal construction PU Outer Islands that were epic.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:16 pm

The 6'8" outer is good. It's just that my 7'2" cv2 is that good I ordered a 6'6" cv2 which should be ready in a week or two.
Thinking I will leave my outer island at JAm71's place on the Goldie so I can ride it when I'm down there.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Freshiedude
Grommet

Post by Freshiedude » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Pete I'll mind it for you, promise to look after it :P

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:26 pm

@ 8.....99.5% wont pay for FTs....but plenty of experienced Indo trippers have 1 or a few...
@ Red....Outers are designed for high quality conditions, I a gree the flex can feel weird at times in gutless waves but they thrive in the GRUNT

Heath adjusted to the test board and by the end was "loving it"......just because hes a high qual surfer doesn't mean hes going to immediately perform on a vastly different design....

Don't judge from watching a video....if you get a chance to ride FTs in waves they suit.... TAKE IT!.....