Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Re: Midlengths

Post by 2nd Reef » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:57 am

Beanpole wrote:Well that's why it's been sitting in the racks and only surfed once in the last twelve months.
Anyone see the article on Swellnet or Coastalwatch about vintage board sales. Bagged out a Dick Brewer because it wS a Tuflite. Said people should be aware that the resale value is not there. Now I'm sure that's true at vintage board auctions but that's because the basic premise is that you are buying a handcrafted collectors item. As far as boards generally goes. None of them have much resale value.
I wrote that Beanpole. The board wasn't at a "vintage board auction" but on eBay where the seller tried three times to hock it at just $160(!) and failed. If that's not the market speaking I'm not sure what is.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:20 am

I just love that people hate tuflites, some of the best boards ever made in my opinion.

Just been easing myself into a 6'6 RFrench Soul Fish... most fun I've had on a board since the 80s. Felt a bit bouyant in shitty gutless slop but came alive in good waves, handles size well. A keeper.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:25 am

You shoulda got the Brewer then Cranked. Not too often you see a good condition RB for next to nix

Like you I enjoy riding Tuflites in small, gutless waves. Reckon the added buoyancy works wonderfully in those conditions, however I always struggled in size or chop when a bit of weight helps the board engage.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:33 pm

You've got it bass ackwards Mr. Reef
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:58 pm

My mate has an 8'6" tuflite. It's 2 1/2" thick so nice and thin through the deck and rails. Great board, but yeah, in windy or decent size I think they're crap and skittish.

My JDs are light but have a completely different feel to them. They're insane

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:14 pm

offshore1 wrote:You've got it bass ackwards Mr. Reef
It's spelt 'arse' over here Offy, which makes it barse and amounts to nonsense. Much like riding a light board in heavy waves.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:22 pm

2nd Reef wrote:
Beanpole wrote:Well that's why it's been sitting in the racks and only surfed once in the last twelve months.
Anyone see the article on Swellnet or Coastalwatch about vintage board sales. Bagged out a Dick Brewer because it wS a Tuflite. Said people should be aware that the resale value is not there. Now I'm sure that's true at vintage board auctions but that's because the basic premise is that you are buying a handcrafted collectors item. As far as boards generally goes. None of them have much resale value.
I wrote that Beanpole. The board wasn't at a "vintage board auction" but on eBay where the seller tried three times to hock it at just $160(!) and failed. If that's not the market speaking I'm not sure what is.
Cheers, 2nd. I reckon that's a bargain myself. Horses for courses. My premise......which you undermine to some extent by it being on EBay....is that the durability makes it less of a collectors item for the same reason it is better value I.e. They are pretty well indestructible. The value of a vintage item is directly proportional to how many were made and how long they can be expected to last. A rare piece of ceramics is rare because the rest got smashed.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:45 pm

I reckon if you're a big unit the tuflite construction may be more suitable as you'll be riding boards that aren't all that thick and your weight and power can negate some of the corkiness and chatter issues that lighter guys complain about.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:20 am

Kiss my barse 2nd. :mrgreen:

I was just referring to your take on cranky's appraisal.
I actually agree with your point though.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:37 am

Since stumbling on the shop next door site I've been drooling over some of the bing boards.

Anyone ever tried one?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:27 am

There were Bing Dharmas everywhere last year and before. They look a lot of fun, I've seen a guy or 2 really ride them well, super smooth, acute turns for a flattish board and most people I've spoken to love them. Boards that flow and are smooth make an ok surfer look much better as well IMHO.

But haven't ridden. Just my 2 cents.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:15 pm

I'm on a roll for surftechs, just picked up a 6'4 Bear Fat Arsed Wombat in as new nick. Could be an interesting board: supposed to go well in small and large waves. Single fin with 2 side bytes. I like its moderate tail rocker, ultra hard moderate V from tail to about 2/3rds, then flat with a bit of nose lift, close to performance rails.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:33 pm

I had a 6' one, fun board.
The best surfs I had on it were in bigger sloping waves.
Stick a big fin in it.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:25 pm

Interested to see what you think of that board. I had a FAW 2 over last Xmas, found it liked better waves than I bought it for. Amazingly smooth cut back as a 2+1 configuration.
Last edited by Davros on Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:35 am

My 7' is a similar, though not quite as wide shape. 18"n 22 wide 15" tail. It's a 5 fin though. Crazy good board in knee to a little overhead beachies. Only ever surf it as a quad. Fast and free. Love to try it as a single. Might enquire about the surgery

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:19 am

Just scored myself a midlength McNeill CV2 from Gumtree. You've probably all seen it, Was on there for months. Had it sent up.
It was made for a older longboarder in SA who decided it didn't have quite enough foam for him.
It's 7'2" X 22&1/2 x 3&1/4".
It could have too much foam even for me...and that's saying something.
Carries the foam out to the rails and the rails at the midpoint are full to say the least however it thins down into the nose and tail.
I asked Gaz if this was the longest he made CV2's in and he told me up to 8'10".
Might take it for a paddle this morning.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:45 pm

Love to hear how that goes Cuttlefish...
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:33 am

Drailed wrote:Love to hear how that goes Cuttlefish...

Any chance of some pics of your 8'er? What's the go with it?