Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Re: Midlengths

Post by swvic » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:37 am

I believe you, I have one of his. 2 1/2 years no deck depressions. Step up - only 6'2" but wide point forward and pretty tight round pin
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:52 pm

Nah. JD let his customers do the talking mostly. But his posts when they came were gold.
But Pridmore was good for his input on design/ shaping etc and board performance.
I always felt anyone who was prepared to contribute their time like that was entitled to a bit of self promotion.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:04 am

I'm with you Trev
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:28 am

Anyone ridden one of those Greg Webber Diamonds ? Look like a very versatile design.

https://gwwaves.wordpress.com/models/diamond/
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:25 am

That's look so much fun for late spring/summer, weaker slightly fatter waves. I've been looking for something like that, been fondling Hayden Lewis Paddle Pop as well.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:35 pm

Yeah. More for softer waves for sure.
Sniff wrote:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Anyone ridden one of those Greg Webber Diamonds ? Look like a very versatile design.

https://gwwaves.wordpress.com/models/diamond/
Dropped into their warehouse at Byron last week expressly to check out the surfboard agency ones but they had no stock.
I want one.
Sure GW is trying to sell them but saying its the funnest board he's made in the last 5 years (or words to that effect) has gotta count for something.
I'd love to get my mitts one one.
Already got the quad fin set for them.
Heard there was a used handshape on Gumtree in the Sydney region FYI.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Good to see us back on topic... I noticed the one on the gumtree and thought about picking it up to replace my 6'8 waterskate. I like the quad option. The guy in the gumtree is selling it without fins so that's a bit of a pain.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:54 am

Surfed the jd this morning in clean weak baby food. It's no minimal that's for sure. It really wants a bit of push in the wave. Best one I got run down the bank and it came to life. Was a bit too far forward to move it around ( I don't have great mobility with my knee just yet ) but I'm stoked and it's got lots of promise. In waves with a bit more push it will go unreal I think. Realistically I won't be able to push it much in the near future, just need to get the knee used to regular surfing, but I'm frothing !!

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:15 am

Good thing is BF as your knee gradually gets better in say 6 months to a year you'll have the board completely nailed. I had a shorter similar plan shape NPJ and it loved juicy waves with face. Keep the updates coming.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:43 am

going for a quad set up on that board was a pretty good idea. broader sweet spot and a tonne of down the line speed.
Sniff wrote:

philw
Local

Post by philw » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:37 pm

[quote="Davros"]That's look so much fun for late spring/summer, weaker slightly fatter waves. I've been looking for something like that, been fondling Hayden Lewis Paddle Pop as well.[/quote]

I had one. 7'0. Thought it was going to be the one board quiver of my dreams. Didn't work out. Had a handful of good surfs on it. As you would expect it trimmed a high line beautifully, worked great in 3ft plus waves with wall . But it really only worked well in those specific conditions. Wasn't as good in small ( 1-2ft ) waves as I wanted and wasn't good enough in anything hollow to justify keeping it. I get better range out of a 7ft foamy.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:40 pm

Ta for feedback, that's invaluable.

philw
Local

Post by philw » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:03 pm

Davros wrote:Ta for feedback, that's invaluable.
Extended review:

I lusted after the thing for ages, then felt the disappointment almost within moments of paddling it out for the first time. It didn't have the luxurious glide a board that length should have, and if yr going to sacrifice that you want to make up for it with curve for hollower conditions. It somehow had neither. On the few days it went well it was very enjoyable, covered a lot of ground very quickly, made long sections etc - but it required quite good waves that almost any board would go well in, and I would generally prefer to ride something more shortboard-like in. I don't know why it didn't work the way I wanted, possibly rocker not right...?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:17 pm

Been wanting to hear some feedback on one of these for so long. I have felt one in the shop on a few occasions and thought it was just the perfect board for purpose but something about it just stopped me from buying it. Glad I listened to my instincts.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:18 am

Don't you hate that, lusting, waiting, envisaging, denial,trying, trying, hoping, denial, hating, selling (analogise as required). I had that with a board I thought I'd just lazily surf on my summer holidays last year. Had to paddle it like a board much shorter and smaller to get into summery waves, it preferred better waves
as well. I just went back to my fishy short board. Trying not to make the same mistake this time. Diamond looks good....problem will be hitting 50 I might never get off it! That is a genuine concern.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:35 am

Davros wrote:Don't you hate that, lusting, waiting, envisaging, denial,trying, trying, hoping, denial, hating, selling (analogise as required). I had that with a board I thought I'd just lazily surf on my summer holidays last year. Had to paddle it like a board much shorter and smaller to get into summery waves, it preferred better waves
as well. I just went back to my fishy short board. Trying not to make the same mistake this time. Diamond looks good....problem will be hitting 50 I might never get off it! That is a genuine concern.

I'm going through this a bit now. Not old but injured. Got 2 sweet sub 6' jds and while I'm reasonably confident I'll get on the keel fish eventually, the little 5'4" sweet potato, I just don't know. I'll be on bigger boards for a while yet. Nothing wrong with bigger boards at all, but I was just getting into less foam in my boards.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:31 pm

I had a 7'0 powerglide that didn't work for me. I ended up going back to my 6'8 waterskate and longboard.