new short board for big...old...guy...

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: new short board for big...old...guy...

Post by Davros » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi Old Grom, reckon you really need more than 44 litres? Everyone is different, true, I'm as old and heavier and surf 38-42 litres and I am pretty average, just have put a bit more nose in my boards and foiled them out a little and it works a treat...just saying....

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Davros..I know what you are saying ..but of late every time I get the idea of "I think I can go a bit:.. shorter...more high performance ...thinner...I just get a bit frustrated, especialy after am hour when I am buggered. So after several costly mistakes I have settled on a minimum size that keeps me pabbling well.

I find is an difficult line to walk - keeping decent shortboardish feeling and the ability to do a snap turn - with my paddle requirements.

Any way...new board cash burns a hole in my pocket so this weekend I visited my local shaper - Danny Deckert and have hatched a plan for a 6'8 x 22 1/4 x 3 - this was influenced by looking at all of the suggestions that you guys put forward - thanks for all the input.

I will post when I get the new old bugger shorty.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:49 pm

Good to hear the trigger has been pulled.
Look forward to seeing what you've come up with.
My board is glassed and now awaiting sanding and polishing after todays filler coat.
Should be ready this Friday but will wait until Monday week to surf it to give it 7 days curing time at least.
Well, that's what I'm saying now anyway. :-o
Edit: glassed last Thursday and according to certain authorities it will be just fine by Friday.
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Sounds like a good size, post pics.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:53 pm

Here's the 6'6" X 21&1/2" X 2&7/8" quad.
Blank sprayed white, 6+4oz deck with tail patch, 6oz bottom, gloss and polish.
It's not too disimmilar to a Hypto Kyrpto in the planshape but wider nose and tail, deep double concave bottom, different foil and rails.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Been pretty flat around Maroochydore since I picked up the 6'6" so only had the board in the water a few times.
Started off with the H2 large fronts and GXQ rears.
Surfed it in some nice clean 2'ers (waist-chest) at Coolum with the waves hitting a sucky left hand bank that allowed for some fun backside high lines and the board suprised me how high it would run across a steep wall.
The tail felt really loose. Just a bit too loose though.
Had another surf at Maroochydore in some 2-3'ers (waist-head) with a set of Scarfini HX2 (med size) quads.
On my forehand the board felt a bit tracky and slow to come off the top on turns and reos.
Still felt good on my backhand though.
So this morning had 2 surfs on it at Maroochydore with super clean, high tide 2-3'ers.
But I'd put in the True Ames CI twins in the front and DVS sidebites in the rear plugs.
Right from the first wave I knew it was a good fin combo. Plenty of drive but I could come out of my bottom turns on my backhand and straight up the face for a reo and back down to keep going. Backhand cutbacks were a snap and the big fins would hold but still give enough looseness in the tail to have the board feel as lively and responsive as a 6'6" with this kind of planshape etc is going to feel.
In so far as it's a smooth, carving ride that with the right fin combo can still go vert easily.
Fact is playing around with the fins can make or break a board for me and the CI/DVS combo is a winner that allowed me to surf it just how I envisaged it when I ordered it.
If I'd just stuck to a standard quad set like the Scarfinis (which I love in the big brother of this board) I would have lost interest in its ride fairly quickly.
So it was worthwhile playing around with the fins.

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi Pete - love the look of your beach beat. I was very interested to hear of your fin experiments.

My board arrived this week but only a week old so just looking at it...its 6'8" x 22 1/2 X 2 7/8 - inspired by the rusty dwart and lost RV - so fairy flat rocker and lots of volume - but with double hips.

I will post when I get time to figure out how and get some time. I had FCS standards 5 fin set up done - thinking about what fins..
to get...

interested in your twin with trailers...

or maybe a nice large thruster set.... any thoughts on a must have FCS set for this style of board...

hope you are getting a few... OG

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:11 pm

Once you've come up with the goods (ie pics) then I'll happily share any constructive thoughts fin wise.
Quid pro quo!
:wink:
Better still if you're still working down my way drop in with the board.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:18 pm

Peaky, pitching beachies today and the 6'6" wasn't happy.
Paddled in and swapped it for the nano so I could throw it around more and react quicker.
No more one board quiver for me...no sir ee!

bobjs
Harry the Hat

Post by bobjs » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:54 pm

Last edited by bobjs on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:07 pm

no, but I've seen plenty of guys around here shralping on them.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Is shralping a good thing?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:11 pm

Drailed wrote:Is shralping a good thing?
Wondered that myself.

Had to look it up.

from the Urban Dictionary
schralping
Similar to Charging: aggressively attacking a situation. Typically used as a verb related to drinking, drug usage, sports or pimping (which is slightly redundant).
We were fucking schralping last night.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:06 pm

I guess a pimp could be effective if he schralped but I thought they would be more laid back. Don't know that much about it really. Might have to ask andy or sunstroke. Health advocate would know I reckon.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:44 pm

I guess I qualify as "big..old..guy"
Here's my latest acquisition. 6' 7" X 21 3/4 Not short by most guys standards, not even mine from earlier years, but gotta be realistic now at 92Kg 6'2" and 56yo.
To be honest I've never owned a wide fishy shaped board like this and to my eye it isn't a pleasing shape, but then neither are a lot of boards these days, so I figured I would just tell the shaper what I wanted the board for and put my faith in him.
Only surfed it once and that was a short 3 wave session due to an injury, but I think it will be good when I learn to tame it. Feels very alive, fast over flat sections and sensitive. Paddles as well as my 7'
It's meant to be for days up to around 4' didn't have a board for those waves, so hopefully this gets me out more often because I just wasn't enjoying myself on the other board on smaller days.
Attachments
f-skate.jpg
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:44 pm

Is that a Miller F-Skate? If so, does it surf more rail-to-rail like a regular shortboard instead of a fish? Grant's got a second hand 6'2" F-Skate available at the moment though I think a V-Skate or Simon Anderson Mollusc should be my next board.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:27 am

^ I dare say that the mollusc will serve you better in the often shifty and abrupt waves you most frequently surf. It'll be more responsive and suit the given conditions better. The mollusc is still very user friendly, but has a bit more of a performance edge to it than the F-skate. It'll be more "nimble", and less flat and fish-like.
The Robbo Mollusc would prob be better than the standard mollusc for all round user-friendliness at a more novice/intermediate level.
http://simonandersonsurfboards.com/au/mollusc-robo/
You'd probably even find one on gumtree from time to time..
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:43 am

Hatchnam I was very keen one of those Robo molluscs initially, so I checked a few out but in the flesh (and on paper) I sensed it may be a bit too lean in the length I wanted and didn't want to go longer to get the volume back. Nice looking board though.

Yes Pet it's an F-skate. It's not something I would initially have considered, so I'm glad I discussed it with Grant and I'm stoked with my decision now. Funny how my preconceived ideas were probably not helping me.
I had it made with the quad/thruster set-up just for fun, although it will probably be some time before I try it as a quad.
Also heavier 6x4x6 glass, and he tuned the rails a bit from what he usually does, to suit some hollow shore breaks I surf a bit.
Hard to form much of an initial impression yet, but I was amazed at how quickly it got up to wave speed when paddling in, and then seemed to leap up onto the plane and take off like a startled rabbit. No apparent problem going rail to rail at all, but still adjusting to the length as far as foot positioning.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.